Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's not much point, it's pretty uncommon in most places. 11kW on-board chargers are common because it allows for a nice 3-phase 16A unit from home charging in countries where domestic 3-phase is common and pairing two of the phases to allow single phase 32A charging for countries where we tend to use single phase electricity at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Templeville has it too.

Same with Gorey Ecars (although not indicated as such on the map) - the one at the Ionity stop, not the ones in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Precisely this as a starting point.

A big driver of queues in my opinion is having just the few (relatively speaking) on a route like Dublin to Cork.

Knowing you can stop at ANY town or service area on route mitigates this.

And should facilitate stopping for as long as you need.

Rather then staying longer in case there's a problem at next stop 200 kms down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can't see Chademo going for another 10 years at least, new leafs still being sold this year... By the time they go I can see CCS to Chademo adapters being widely available on the market

Agree 100%. As it is now, often you're delighted that a charger is available and working so you charge as much as possible (eg 44 mins if its an ecars one) as there may not be another option.

I dont think anyone thinks it will go. I think it should stay at the status quo and that for future installs of say 4 DC chargers, that only 2 have chademo. Rollouts in future should prioritize CCS as thats what most cars are now and have been what most new cars are for some time. Once the ariya is widely available I suggest chademo will fall off a cliff. (PS I still carry a chademo adapter in my X so I'm not anti Chad!)

• Advertisement

I recon the best way to go is similar to petrol/diesel pumps. every charger has 2 connections, then it doesn't matter what you have on your car or who is in ahead of you... I think one of the boxes at J14 (the one on the far right) has this setup with 2 cables on each side either the CCS or the Chademo cables can be used at a time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That doesn't make sense in a world where 5% of cars are sold with the legacy connector. CHAdeMO will be more like LPG in the future, some stations will have it but it won't be installed everywhere and it won't be on every "pump"

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Clifden charger out of action when I was up, seemed to be broken for quite a while. Connemara continues to be a charger black spot but managed in the end.

Bit of a difference there, LPG requires its own storage separate from petrol/diesel. A chademo car takes the same fuel as a CCS car just with a different connector

I'd question the 5% figure you quoted but regardless I also think Japanese imports (which are mainly chademo) are going to make up a huge proportion of car sales in the next few years

I'd question the 5% figure you quoted but regardless I also think Japanese imports (which are mainly chademo) are going to make up a huge proportion of car sales in the next few years

I pretty much pulled it out of the air, but on checking it's less than 7.92% of new cars sold this year come with CHAdeMO. For used imports it's 18%, but imports are 167 cars versus 8,444 new cars so enough that's it still near enough 8% of EVs entering the market use the legacy connector.

I still posit that it's an absolute waste to be deploying new CHAdeMO connectors once a site has removed the single point of failure problem (i.e. deploy 2 sperate chargers with 1 CHAdeMO each). We should not deploy infrastructure for a technology that is end of life and isn't even being used anymore by it's main backer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I seem to remember reading that it doesn't cost much extra to add Chademo plugs, around 10% cost increase

Ideally Chademo plugs should be added in a way which didn't reduce the number of CCS plugs

Although I do question the use of installing Chademo on the 150kW units, since the vast majority of Leafs can charge at 50kW only

Seems like a better option would be to install a couple of 50kW Chademo+CCS units at the same site and leave the 150kW units as CCS only

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's the thing about eCars.

Stupid decisions after stupid decisions. Charger placements, single point of failure, daft space layout.

So much of what they do is just dumb. They clearly have never sat and had a genuine conversation with actual EV drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Seems like a better option would be to install a couple of 50kW Chademo+CCS units at the same site and leave the 150kW units as CCS only

Exactly this - case in point, I was in the ESB chargers behind the Kilmartin N6 Services in Athlone this week - a Leaf was charging off the 150kW and the 50kW was free. Ended up having a friendly chat with the owner and mentioned the charging. He hadn't a clue about the differences in charging and plugged into the 150 as he thought it would charge faster. He said he was sold the car and told "just to look out for this type of plug and you'll be grand".

Can't blame folk if they have no awareness hence why the suggestion above should be implimented.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

And he was paying more for the privilege of getting the same charging speed.

Lack of knowledge about chargers is definitely an issue, the car dealerships could really do a lot to alleviate this with some real information campaigns.

Something simple like sending a few videos to buyers on how to find and use public charging would help

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Apart from when they meet with the association and receive fellatio from them for simply agreeing to meet with them!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Lack of knowledge about chargers is definitely an issue...

This. I arrived at the 50kW charger in Westport a while back and settled in to wait for the car that had clearly arrived just before me. After a few minutes I realised he was staring blankly at the CCS plug in his hand and scratching his head. I got out to ask if he needed help, and it turned out he was driving a plug-in hybrid that only had a type-2 connector.

I know I didn't get much in the way of useful instruction from my dealer, but I didn't care 'cos I'm a nurrrrd.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I was told by a Renault dealer (in 2019) that the Zoe could charge at all the chargers that the Leaf could. He was adamant that that was the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That was accurate, the Zoe and Leaf can charge at all AC Charge Points and back then it was mainly eCars triple headers so the Zoe could charge off the AC43 connection. If he said "same cable" then he would have been wrong.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

No, he told me the closest charger was in the Nissan garage down the road, that the Leaf and Zoe charging systems were the same.

Lol, well I was trying to be a bit more subtle...

But it's true. ECars meet regularly with the IEVOA and yet then behave in a completely uneducated manner.

So they're either just sticking an intern, or the cleaner, in a suit and sending them off to the meeting as a token gesture, or they're just coming back from meetings, crumpling up their notes and chucking them in the bin.

• Advertisement

There has been in a change in the last 6 months, we've now got a 4 CCS charging station with 4 parking spaces and they've started disabling AC connectors when co-located with DC ones. Looks like someone has finally started reading survey results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah but we’ve also got a 2 DC unit charging station with 4 spaces, despite only 2 cars being able to charge simultaneously….

2 steps forward, 1 step back…….

I met with ecars and also with the CER/CRU during my time on the IEVOA committee. The meetings were fruitless, a box ticking exercise. Ecars etc not willing to listen and IEVOA not willing to push the issue. That agenda for both sides was clear to me.

I'm still a paid IEVOA member because I enjoy the events and I think it's important to have a seat at the table. It also appears to have improved after I left the committee as the older members (the white haired male brigade) gradually faded out that time too.

The agenda presumably being for eCars, to be able to claim that they're listening (even though they're not) and for IEVOA the agenda being to appear important?

I wouldn't call an over provision of spaces a step back,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

In a functional market that is the future of CHAdeMO

4 CCS HPCs and one multi-plug. Mind you the price is the same per kWh as for the high powered units. Pay for the privilege.

Not sure where your figures are being pulled from now but roughly every second electric car I see on the road is a leaf. Why would a company want to cut it's target market in half when adding a cable with a different connector costs so little?

Neither did I but I knew what I was getting myself into before I bought my car... I saw a Tesla the other day trying to charge at a Nissan dealers fast charger, the wideness of his eyes when I told him was a sight to behold, all that money but no info on how to charge is mind boggling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla Model S and X can CHAdeMO charge at Nissan dealers, before the SuC network was in place this was the only place they could fast charge in the US. The Model 3 cannot CHAdeMO charge.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement