Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Cloudy & breezy this morning in cork city. Sun is trying to come through though. Some difference in temps compared to yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was just saying that myself, way cooler and nicer....😁 I enjoyed the day yesterday but I just can't take it for too long in Ireland; think it's different when you are on holidays abroad. It's currently 16 degrees and max temperature today here is supposed to be 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful sunny morning in Dublin, lovely and warm (22 degrees)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Snow line (m amsl) from the 00Z radiosondes...😁

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I know in past hot weather and cold spells, Met Eireann have in their TV bulletins cited highest and lowest temps from climatological stations other than the offical stations they report hourly readings for in their websites. For example, Ardfert in Kerry had the hottest temp one summer IIRC or Straide in Mayo (which had the famous 2010 lowest temp of -17.5C) . Is it possible we could get a higher temp reported at one of the climatological stations than what was reached in Phoenix Park yesterday and it just is awaiting validation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A much nicer and warmer morning in Donegal compared to this time yesterday morning, il take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lads, somebody posted a map yesterday with the record temp for each county written into it - but it was out of focus and illegible. Does anyone have a legible version / something similar? In truth though I am particularly looking for Corks record. I think Moore Parks 29.2c yesterday might be there or there abouts as I think that's not a very old station (I.e. not many historical records) and the other Cork stations are uniquely positioned to find the coldest summer temps - Cork airport in an isolated location up a hill at over 150m, Sherkin being an island off the sw and Roches Point being a headland on the se coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Look at *the two countries

The UK is like an oven and its only early in the day, and Wales which you'd expect to be moderate, couldn't live with that for too long glad to be in Ireland today😐️

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Eyes on the UK today to see can they topple their heat record. Widespread 31c reported at 0900 their!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFS was expecting another 1c or 2c above 31c at 9am (8UTC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id take yesterday over our usual Dummer if that was the choice. But today's temps are the goldi locks for me. Beautiful in D24 today but still slightly fresh air, where as this tome yesterday was already oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

24c in meath this morning, and hazy sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely day in Dublin 8...nice heat and hazy skies snd not a puff of wind. I'm hoping this will be the 4th day in a row that I've had breakfast (already done), lunch and dinner outside in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Pissing rain in Cork City this morning. Back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Warning -

Warm weather in Summer alert ....

Such over reactions about a few warm days ffs - just enjoy it ....🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

See its 34c in Cambridge now. UK is going to smash their all time record today. Could hit 42c!! Or 42.3c which would mean the UKs highest ever temperature would be warmer than Madrids!!

4 or 5 sites already at 34c. Uk has broken our highest ever temperature by 10am ha

Not in the UK so couldn’t really give a flute what temp it is there. Always find it odd that we cover UK weather in our news media. Do they cover our weather over there? Always find it odd that we give it the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Cloudy, damp, cold day here, rest of the weeks is muck. west mayo.

100s of years of a shared history, speak the same language, our nearest neighbour, cultural and family ties...also sky news covered the heat in dublin yesterday.

• Advertisement

I lived in Nordic’s for years and they are close neighbours with differing climates and yet you never see them covering each other’s climates etc in media. Just find it strange

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's certainly not odd as they're our very recent colonial masters. We've practically identical cultures. We speak the same language. We're in very similar geographical locations which means we are impacted by very similar weather patterns.

'Cover' our weather/news is probably not the right word. But they will certainly 'comment' on both.

landmass of nordic country is vast, compared to uk to ireland. thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Yes! They did yesterday, had a reporter live at Kilkenny castle for the day and regularly touched base with him on SKY throughout the day yesterday

They might hit 40c for the first time since records began and nothing weather wise is happening here today so I’m interested. I get your point but today is exceptional there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

They are near neighbours where like ourselves climate of one effects the other, don’t really see the difference but anyway each to their own. I just know they don’t seem to show any interest like we seem to about UK. Denmark and Sweden right across the water from each other like Ireland is to Wales etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nope.... but its a random thunderstorm that stopped sparking just off the coast. There were always rain showers forecast for today but this one took everyone by surprise.

Desperately needed the rain though, I'll take it. Though its pulled the temps back to 17C

your wondering why a media organisation based in a city that was once the second city of the empire that ruled us, is covering UK news.

I think we all know why, because we are still to some degree pysologically tied to them.

Anyways RTE are full of anglo irish west brits.

get over it, were lumped in with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thunder and moderately heavy rain around Tullamore / Clara now.

Nice and fresh :D

Does anyone know if the loss of rain radar on the Met Eireann app is temporary? Looks like a downgrade redesign??

Advertisement