Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I enjoyed it, its hard to run out a plot where you know what is going to happen. Gun to the head of Gus and you know he's not going to die, you know Gus is going to kill him. They did it well though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I feel the scene of Jimmy watching Howard being stuffed into the fridge is underrated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

And Mike telling the lads to go easy when putting his body in the hole.

There was so much tension at the start, thought Kim was f*cked, turns out Lalo was using them, the cute hoor, was funny when she pointed at the fella who looks like a younger Gus.

When Lalo was messing around with the camcorder instead of killing Gus, it was obvious he would die, still it was a satisfying conclusion to that part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Poor Werner (the meticulous German engineer) must have been turning in his grave at the thought of them comprimising the floor foundations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,695 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Melodeon

As an occasional, and I like to think, semi-competent, excavator operator, I have a gripe regarding the hole they put Lalo and Howard in:

No excavator digs out perfectly squared off deep holes like that!

A highly expert operator with the correct bucket on will get very close, but that digger wasn't so equipped, and the 'operator' as portrayed was in no way competent.

A very minor niggle, I full accept, and only of note to a vanishingly tiny percentage of the audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I called it back in the episode when we saw Hector bend down and check the lights cable and count the steps to where he left the gun. I think the shoot out was excellent.

The kim.scene was great and tense not sure if Jimmy was hoping Kim would walk away and he would take the bullet for her and Lalo would shoot him instead.

I felt really sad for Howard his name forever tarnished as a cocaine user gone off the rails. So sad seeing him being dumped in a hole with his murderer.

That's the story arc of Howard and Lalo complete. We now have to see how Kim's story ends and what goes down in the Gene/Jimmy timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Ryann Red Sorrow

Now we can add Lalo and Howard appearing in BB timeline ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I was thinking something like this. I thought the floor was solid rock and no way a small excavator dig a hole in it. Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haha good man Werner they wouldn’t have gotten the ‘South Wall’ built with that amateurish carry on!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

the fact that everybody and their mother called it made it disappointing to me, i.e. that the writers went with that. I was thinking there would be some twist or that it was a red herring or something. He deals in crystal meth, not crystal balls, it seemed ludicrous that he would have such foresight or planning and for it all to come out so well. He was wearing body armour, Lalo could have tied his hands, esp. due to this. He was thrown down the stairs and is a mild mannered looking man (librarian as Lalo said), he could have been incapacitated.

Like most people I thought it was going to happen when I saw that episode, but was then asking how people thought it would go down, like if he was luring Lalo in all along why not have henchmen lurking. I was wondering why he would need to have a gun hidden rather than on him (like his ankle gun), it was as if he knew he was going to be frisked, and also knew the digger would not be moved by an idle henchman guarding the place (even if he knew no work was to be going on). I thought it might be Jimmy as a go-between who would do the frisking or something.

I enjoyed the rest of the episode but that was a total damp squib for me. Though I did not expect Kim to shoot, I thought she was going to inform Gus and possibly fake a photo of him shot to show to Lalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭BK5

Also, no way you would be able to use a diesel digger underground, you'd be poisoned in 2 minutes. Sat watching it last night thinking "that should be an electric excavator" 😊

One question that went through my head was, did Don Eladio know that Lallo was alive after the shoot out? He was making a video of the meth lab and talking to Eladio on it but had he been in contact with him since his faked death?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thought it was a naff episode

The whole thing thing was cheesy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

On the Don Eladio conversation, I'd guess that this hasn't happened. The Salamanca's have always had some contempt for Eladio's caution and greed so I think they would have been afraid to tell him anything in case he didn't immediately sanction action or that this leaked, allowing the chicken man to tidy away the evidence as he has done before.

I think Lalo didn't genuinely didn't expect to find Gus there. He planned to record evidence of the lab and expected that Jimmy or Kim will end up in a bulletstorm over in Casa Gus. That also fits with his willingness to let Gus talk. It's not the normal "James Bond" mistake of allowing someone to play for time. He genuinely sees a value in getting Fring on camera to denounce the Don. He will kill him anyway, but this is gold for video time over in Eladio's house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_and_Shoot_(Better_Call_Saul)#Production

Production[edit]

During filming of "Point and Shoot" in late June 2021, Bob Odenkirk (who plays Jimmy) suffered a heart attack while off-set, riding an exercise bike in a studio. His co-stars Rhea Seehorn (Kim) and Patrick Fabian (Howard) saw him collapse from the bike and quickly got him to the hospital for treatment and recovery. He missed about five weeks of filming as a result, and when he returned in good health, they limited filming to 12 hours a day.[1][2][3] Roughly three-quarters of Odenkirk's scenes in Kim's apartment had been shot before the heart attack, with the remaining scenes filmed afterwards.[4]

I only looked at wiki to see if there were many negative reviews. It is still only 1.1% 1 star reviews on imdb for this episode, thought there would be loads (not that I think it deserves 1 star, I just accept that loads of assholes will give 1 star to bolster their opinion and bring the overall score down). I did think there would be a lot more backlash.

Just general speculation on how the Kim/Jimmy relationship could pan out following S6 e8 ‘point and shoot’

Analyses their childhood flash backs based up to current events. Makes me realise how they put so much effort in casting all of the young characters versions. They all resemble the older actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Kinda shocked at the "backlash" to this episode here. And hey they're just opinions. For me, the only gripe I had was how convenient the storyline was for Gus to take out lalo. Sure we saw him plant the revolver a few weeks ago and we knew it would eventually go down like that in the end... But yeah, the how and the why of the whole thing was forced and that's one thing the writers of BCS have been staying away from since day one so it seems a bit odd that's how they would off the main villian of the show.

For me. Loved this episode. I mean loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I think that's the point MBW5K. It was too easy and too many convenient plot setup things for it to happen. Spending all that time setting up Lalo only to rub him out like that was like in game of thrones setting up the white walkers for seasons only to destroy them easily in one episode at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There's a good interview with the writer on this episode : https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-peter-gould-midseason-premiere-interview-1235178465/

He covers a lot of things, including the idea of the "devil's luck" that Fring had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I thought that sure we saw Gus planted the gun but whether he will be able to use it - that's the part where they want the audience to wonder about?

But ya the scene happened super fast so i am ok with it, my heart was still pumping from kim/jimmy earlier so everything happened so fast was handled very well there.

I can see why some people are not happy though, definitely felt like it could have been more polished? but i dont know how 😂 (because we all knew Gus survived, what do people expect lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,695 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, good article. They make a good point about why Lalo didn't kill Gus and was filming him talk about Eladio.

Alternative They could have had Kim held in the lab after following Gus there. To both of their surprise Lalo is there. And in the ensuing scuffle in the dark Kim accidentally shoots and kills Lalo. With Gus’ Revolver that he dropped.

That would have been a proper twist. Then it could have been who dies in the lab? Tense build up - Kim/Lalo or both/nearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

If Kim knew there was a lab (or the beginnings of one) underneath the laundry, there is no way in hell Gus would let her leave alive, even if she did kill Lalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well now that time jump ending to this weeks episode was unexpected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think it represented a goodbye to Jimmy, and a hello to Saul. Kim's announcement pushed him over the edge, and there's no way back from there.

There's a parallel with Walter White morphing into Heisenberg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Didn't expect things to move so quickly in the second half of this season but I'm glad they are. The next few episodes set in the BB timeline and beyond should be interesting and a good way to end the show.

Part of me hopes they do not answer the where/what happened Kim and just leave it a complete mystery after that time jump into the BB timeline.

Another part of me say they better not do that and because where/what happened Kim is the only unanswered question now.

• Advertisement

Great episode tidying up loose ends in this phase. Looks like Gus decided against any personal relationships that's what I got from the bar scene.

Good Mike talked with Nachos Dad I suppose as Mike lost his own son he felt he owed him some closure.

Fantastic acting from Bob and Rhea actually brought a tear to my eye watching that final scene in the apartment.

I think the last few episodes will focus on the Gene timeline I can't see them spending that much time in the Breaking Bad timeline other then to get the mandatory Walter White and Jessie Pinkman cameos

Advertisement