Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,918 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

To be honest like everything in Ireland it's all short sightedness. Hotels are making a fortune on this, however when this situation blows over they will have lost a serious amount of custom and the idea of stay cation ireland will be dead.

Of course when they complain the about all the losses then the government will fill up the hotels with homeless.

I wouldn't give a cent to hotel accommodation in Ireland, would prefer to see the hotels die.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Ireland has already been partial closed due to covid. Numbers coming here went going up. places stay closed for to long people just holiday somewhere else and never return. It's all hugely short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Exactly, when tourism should be recovering there are no rooms available in hotels due to accomodating Ukrainians not to mention things like car hire becoming insanely expensive means all tourists coming to Ireland are burnt and won't be returning for a long time, but TDs get photo ops etc. on how good our little country is in doing our bit so its all ok 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And people remember that, there won’t be second chances. Land of a thousand welcomes has become land of the middle finger.. if you are a tourist..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Don't forget as well that Darragh O'Brien is supposedly cracking down on illegal Airbnbs from Sept 1st. I'm no fan of Airbnbs and think they've done a lot of damage to the housing market but cracking down on them when there is literally no alternative accomodation like hotels that tourists can book is just asking for trouble.

If I was a tourist who had booked an Airbnb in good faith and suddenly the accomodation I booked is unavailable and there are no alternatives, I'd be so mad.

Yeah but we are kind of conditioned to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

indeed. i read that boxes of weapons were literally being offloaded into the streets of neighbourhoods to encourage citizens to take up arms to defend the coiuntry. unfortunately local gangs apparently seized the opportunity to weaponize themselves and settle old scores.

it also begs the question, how many unauthorised weapons have now made their way into this country. seeing as no security checks at all seem to have been done at the borders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ah here. Ukrainians are coming to Ireland via commercial airline routes. Do you think they're smuggling in Kalashnikovs in their hand-luggage via international airports on the continent? Come off it now, that's ridiculous scaremongering and doesn't survive a thought experiment entertaining it for even 10 seconds.

Organised crime is a huge problem in The Ukraine.

Their mafia is involved in racketeering, drug trafficking, drug dealing, human trafficking, money laundering, bribery, theft, prostitution etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Yeah, can't do much about that without about being accused of being racist or phobic etc....

It's interesting you mention the Ukrainian mafia, they are known to have ties with the Russian government. Example: the current mayor of Odessa is a lickspittle Putinite with Russian citizenship (which he denies) and is a member of the 'Opposition Bloc' and formerly Yanukovic's party (you know, the Kremlin bankrolled party, with the President that high-tailed it to Russia). He's a known high level mafia member.

He's done an interesting volte-face since the invasion condeming Putin, mostly to save his own skin after years of being a Putin jockstrap sniffer.

When you hear about the Ukrainian mafia, understand that it's often interchangable with the Russian mafia; and I hate to say it, but they're overwhelmingly Russian first language speakers and typically ethnically Russian (again, see Odessa, the main wellspring of Ukrainian mafia activity). They were up to their necks acting as corrupt intermediaries in Ukrainian-Russian pipeline transit shenanigans.

So much of corruption in Ukraine when you follow the money, can be traced back to Russia. See Viktor Medvedchuk as well. No nation could tolerate a fifth columnist of that sort. Imagine if you will, Denis O'Brien or John Magnier conspiring with the British government to bring down the Irish Republic. That's the level of mendacity you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You misunderstood. They have suspended visa free travel into Ireland for 12 months

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

That Independent.ie article on the requirement of refugees (excluding Ukrainian refugees) to require a visa for entry to Ireland.. am I reading it wrong? My initial take on it seems to imply it's the right thing to do. It sounds like we're finally trying to place some control on our borders in deference to what other EU countries are doing.

I wasn't aware refugees that had been granted refugee status in one country could travel to another country visa free for three months. And it's the arrival in this other country.. no doubt somewhere with more favorable conditions/supports.. where they apply for refugee status again wherein lies the abuse of the system.

It seems to me it's at least a step in the right direction and might eventually lead to the long overdue checks on those Ukrainian 'refugees' that are equally abusing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Air BnBs are a huge cause of the lack of supply of housing so that a good thing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

A lot have driven here with the car stuffed full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I don’t have figures, but I see Ukrainian cars every day in a small town in the West. The point being that you ridiculed the idea that any weapons could be in the country, but it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why not? Tented communities are used extensively elsewhere for dealing with refugees. Any port in a storm.

The objection to using tents is more likely to come from Irish sources as that's not our style and we have pretensions.

We saw the same sort of reaction when modular housing was suggested a few years ago for social housing here. People up in arms, not good enough!

Not quite, they've suspended visa requirements for Refugees, specially those from Ukraine.

But here's the glaringly obvious problem, apart from the fact there's no room at Inn.

We absolutely know there's little or no, Vetting, checking or verifications at ports of entry for those travelling under the EU Virtue Signalling Directive, with the exception and rightly so, of Child safe garding and protection measures, I do however remain concerned at follow up and tracing measures.

The absurd Directive has so many holes in it, it permits those, alledgedly with the vaguest connection to Ukraine (which is near impossible to verify) to gain entry. At a minimum this has facilated anyone, and I mean anyone, hop on a plane, Ferry or Drive to Ireland from anywhere and I mean anywhere claiming to be covered under the EU Directive. Whilst I'll accept obtaining a Visa would be challenging for any Ukrainian Citizen, this I'm afraid is a poor excuse and at a minimum, those actually leaving Ukraine, should have been furnished with a verifiable Document from the Ukrainian Authorities, who just seem to be delighted their own people are not their problem.

Far stricter controls were required from the Outset and even the most determined optomist could see from the start, unfettered access in a chaotic situation was going to lead and encourage Shenanigans.

I don't blame Ukrainian Refugees, I squarely blame the EU, Ukrainian Government and our hapless government, who've essentially ignored the warning signs and actively encouraged mass migration. As I've said from the outset, one could forgive mistakes at the start, but near 6 months of gross incompetence and dare I say negligence, is utterly unforgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We'll eventually adopt a harder approach like the UK. We eventually follow the UK policy.

Appropriate Accommodation, I need say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The problem is FG have it as part of their agenda to increase the population of the country by something like 500k by 2030. Absolutely unsustainable and beggers the question who is pulling the strings to make this happen and even more curious why the heck are people voting for them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Whatever way you roll the dice one would have to be exceptionally naive to believe that all Ukrainians arriving here are fleeing war .It is not prudent to have an open gate policy that will allow undocumented people to enter a country .It will be impossible now to determine the identity or location of many individuals who arrived here with nothing .It happened in 1980 during the Mariel boat lift from Cuba to USA.Every country in the world has border controls some more robust than others The countries with weaker controls will always suffer as a result both socially and economically .

I'm in an area with an extremely high concentration of Ukrainian refugees and haven't seen a single Ukrainian reg. Frankly, I think your talking sh*te.

If a dozen cars made the journey from Eastern Ukraine to Ireland I'd be surprised. Why would you make that journey when a budget airline gets you here?

And also, let's toy a little bit with the scaremongering that women fleeing with their kids are smuggling AK47s across the continent. Have you ever crossed a land border in a vehicle from a non-EU country frontier country into Schengen? They just stop short of doing a rectal examination. Then they'll need to get weapons onto a ship in (presumably) France, one of the most terrorism concious country's on the planet, and then would need to pass Irish customs to boot.

Utter scaremongering nonsense.

Just come out and say you don't want refugees rather than coming up with fever dreams of Ukrainian women with hand grenades hidden in a pram in the boot of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Far too late Britain did this in 1986. France circa 2003. Ireland when it’s flooded ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think it's pretty clear the poster doesn't want refugees here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement