Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

• Registered Users Posts: 15 redcuppatea

Hi, I'm looking for advice about a VRT exemption for a transfer of residence from U.K (midlands) to Ireland.

Here is my situation:

• I'm living and a home owner in the UK for 4 years.
    • I'm looking to move back home in the next 6 months to either rent or buy a new house. My UK house will be going up for sale in the next couple of months and we will either rent or buy in Ireland at some future date. Dates are not set in stone as there are many what ifs.
    • I have owned my UK registered car for 2 years, fulfilling the VRT exemption requirements.
    • However, I want to take back the car now as I will be travelling back and over to sort out the new house, etc. Having a car in Ireland would save me money and headaches massively on the car rental costs during the setting up back home period. I won't need it too much in the U.K.
    • I will still be employed in the U.K. even after I move back as I will be working remotely mainly from Ireland.

I am trying to consider my options but am worried about getting caught with a big VRT bill. So, how will each of these scenarios play out?

1. Bring the back car now, via Dublin and declare it and try and clear the VRT on it now with the exemption, using my parent's house as my new address. No other proof of moving as job/house still in the U.K.
    2. Bring back the car and just use it for 6 months then drive it over and back with the ferry passage back to present the evidence of a ferry to customs. But, would they know it was already there for 6 months approx already? Would it be very risky?
    3. Bring back the car via Northern Ireland, use it as I need then drive it back to UK via NI and over to Ireland via Dublin and then claim it at customs and start VRT exemption when we are officially back.

Either way I want to benefit from the tax relief. But not sure how best to proceed. I do need a car in Ireland for the next few months, from time to time and would like my one to be there.

Or any other ideas of achieving the same outcome are welcome. It's turning into a total headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can move the car in and out regardless of port and leave it on the UK reg for now as you will have trouble making the exemption stick with no proof of house sale in UK at the minute while still working in the UK and only providing parents address here. I'd say that application for exemption would get laughed out the door.

When you are ready to move, house sold, maybe rental agreement here etc, go about applying for exemption. You need to notify customs of importation in advance, then bring the car in.

I helped someone apply for exemption a few months ago.

He had brought the car in as a tourist without any customs stuff done and then contacted revenue.

As everything was Abit up in the air at the time after brexit, there was issue re customs.

We filled the forms, attached piles of paperwork re selling house, car purchase in UK 2 years previous, copy of utility bills in UK, plus car tax and Insurance. proof of place to stay in ireland etc. There was no issue and no further questions asked.

Continuing to be employed in UK might be an issue but that's probably one for accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 redcuppatea

Hi @mickdw thanks for your response.

So basically, we can bring the car in to Ireland now, use it for a few months (UK insurance and tax terms apply), then when the time comes to bring it back in when we actually move, we would declare it to customs first as you have recommended.

Then In terms of evidence paperwork, we can provide possible proof of sale, childcare costs to the point of our move, bank statements etc to show we actively lived in the UK. Hopefully, we will be able to show a new purchase in Ireland or a rental agreement, a childcare place to prove we've arrived.

Would revenue see that the car had been over in Ireland through any customs systems before or just see what is in front of them on file as a ferry passage that we submit?

My main concern was about having the car in Ireland before we officially brought it over, and them knowing that we had. I don't want anything to jeopardise our VRT redemption case. One of the questions on the form was when the car was. in the state, which made me nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

You do realise that if there are transactions on your bank statement showing that you were in Ireland your exemption will be cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

I did the transfer of residence back in 2020 back to ireland , the guy at the tax office was very helpful and can run through any questions you have now for what you will need when you do decide to start the process , the whole process is not some interview where they try to catch you out , its a person who asks you for a list of documents by email so they can tick their boxes and send you the exemption. and if you dont have a certain document they do accept alternatives.

just for reference when they asked me proof of where i was moving to ireland , i just told them back to my parents house and that was good enough for them. ( i didn't have any utility bills or anything like that)

I disagree with @user1998 , as i was in ireland for a month before i brought my car back, (with also more travel inbetween the 2 countries over a longer period ) the only reason they want bank statements so you can show you were living and working in the UK for atleast 6 months.

No law against holidaying in Ireland. Not sure now if they would have registration records of movements at ports but as I say, you are not doing anything wrong by visiting Ireland specially in prep for permanent move. If you had just bought the car and kept it in Ireland and then tried to get exemption after 6 months, it would be different.

In response to user 1988, if your bank statement showed all along that you were renting house in Ireland or whatever, it would put a question mark over your UK residency but that would be extreme and not the case here.

They appear very reasonable. They are absolutely out to stop fake cases and will stop them but a genuine case can be spotted a mile away.

Firstly if you have had the car alot longer than the minimum 6 months it points to a genuine case. If you sell a house in UK and show evidence of taking up residence here, well again that has to be genuine. Tax and insurance in UK for lengthy period too all proves it's not just being done to bring in a cheap car as the figures wouldn't add up.

On the other hand, if you have someone with a UK car the bare 6 months, Irish driving licence, no UK income, a UK address but no contract for lease or anything and now claiming to return to Ireland - they will put every roadblock possible in the way

I don't know of any genuine case that has been refused. Plenty chancers refused exemption though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What does one need to do to import a JCB forklift from uk. Does it matter that it's already owned, and is returning to ireland from uk, it's in uk for 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its bad when you ring customs and they advice you to ''enter through the North and drive down, that there are no checks up there, but if you come into Rosslare we'll put our own value on items and roast you.''

Well I was importing a used car engine from a private seller in UK.

I failed to figure out how to actually bring it in legally. I contacted customs. Got advice but no carrier would or could carry it without a commercial invoice from the seller - not possible from private seller.

Was willing to pay all charges but couldn't be done it seems.

Drive it in through the north it seems is the solution.... I wouldn't do such a thing though.

• Advertisement

I can put you in contact with a car transport company who travels from UK to NI to IRL weekly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kuj90

Hi all,

I'm literally about to put a deposit on the below and just wondering are my figures correct ? Car is from mainland UK its not vat qualifying or anything just normal import.

2018 abarth 124 spider £ 20,995= €24,572.41

23% VAT = €5651.65

10% customs duty = €2457.24

VRT ( not showing correctly on site but it's roughly) €5700

Total = €38,381.30

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Those figures are calculated wrong and you didn’t include freight costs. €430?

€25,000 x 1.10 = €27,500

€27,500 x 1.23 = €33,825

VRT = €5,700

Total cost = €39,525

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm looking to maybe buy an M140i up north, I've noticed that the VRT is quite low due to, I think, the depreciation code being D2. But M135s, M235s, M240s are A1-A3, and correspondingly the VRT would be twice as much on those, as per the calculator.

Am I mad to chance my arm on the code/calculator being accurate? I'd save a fair few thousand going this way.

What year is the car? I think anything under 3 years old is sent off to Revenue for a manual valuation anyway so they could easily screw you. Recently I’ve had car sent off to Revenue and I was screwed every time

Well if your car is anyway different to the one on the calculator it will be sent to Revenue. So a slightly different description or different Co2 would cause it to be sent to Revenue. But if everything matches the price on the calculator should be honoured

They have both trims set to D2 so I should be ok, fingers crossed.

As long as it doesn't change in the interim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Wondering can anyone advise what the situation is on a gift/inheritance of a car from the uk from a parent? Is there any exemptions? Can provide death cert etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is that you may not be liable for inheritance tax depending on the market value of the car.

Inheritance tax:

There is no special dispensation or exemption from a VRT perpective afaik if the inheratance is from outside the state. You would probably still be liable for VRT, VAT and NoX charge, etc as the car is being imported from the UK. Customs duty might be zero since there is zero invoice price on a proven inheritance.

Importing a car from the UK:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

So according to this, if for example I want to buy this car https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-tt-2012/30916522 and since as per the ad the Country of Registration is Northern Ireland I am not subject to customs duty and VAT.

Am I right?

No. The reason its not subject to customs duty is because the car was in NI before Brexit.

I could get a mainland UK car and register it up the North tomorrow and still have to pay customs duty

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RitaPoon

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on importing a car from NI/UK - I've done it previously in 2019 and the savings were great but I'm wondering if, post-Brexit is it still worth doing?

Ideally looking to get a mid-sized SUV with a budget of approx. €25k and ideally hybrid.

Any help appreciated!

If you get a pre brexit NI registered hybrid, it could be a runner because vrt is low on hybrid and you wouldn't incur any extra taxes if it's NI car.

I cannot see any saving bringing in from uk as vat vrt duty etc will need to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Hi , What documents do you need to bring to the VRT office these days ? The last car I VRT'd was a week before brexit , its a NI car all its life .

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DagdaIreland

Hey - was looking at importing a Porsche Cayman from UK.. Not cheap, but possibly worth it.. Trouble is Revenue don't have calculated VRT costs for anything other than Porsche Cayenne, which makes guesstimating the VRT a bit difficult..

Car cost 18k Stg. 2007 (57 plate) Cayman Tiptronic with 49k miles

Any guesses on VRT here?

Also, I presume one can't simply buy it, register it to a British citizen with an address in England, then import it 6 months later to qualify for an exemption..? The British citizen would have to show proof of having been living in the UK AT THE TIME, not just proof of having lived there ever, etc...?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

What makes you think it will be worth it? You’ll be paying €7,500 in customs duty and VAT, and you’ll be paying €10,000 in VRT. After everything you’ll be looking at €40,000. You can buy one here from a dealer for €26k

And what you suggested won’t work

Advertisement