Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right, sloth. Dunno why I thought it was gluttony. Apparently the actors didn't know sloth was meant to cough and be alive either - their own leap was, according to legend, genuine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,155 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness, Gluttony looks a bit like zombie too.

Memory - 2022

A step up on Liam Neeson's recent couple of action films if not exactly brilliant but nevertheless better.

Even uses Neeson's advanced age and possible afflictions related to same as part of the storyline where here he's an old hitman who won't complete part of a job when he cops on who the target is.

Not too bad if a bit let down but a jarringly incongruous very last scene.

5.9 / 10

Watcher - 2022

A quasi-Hitchcockian effort with the premise of two young New-Yorkers moving to Bucharest (a little odd in itself really) and the woman is perturbed by someone in the less salubrious apartment block opposite seemingly looking out their window and into hers. Didn't impart the dread of the master's best imo but solid enough if a little too straightforward I thought.

6.0 / 10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

Every time Jennifer Jason Leigh was on screen, it was as if the word "moxy" had been decanted into human form.

What a fantastically entertaining mess and folly this turned out to be. I passed it by for so long, based purely on its unfair reputation as being a colossal flop - and therefore an ostensibly "bad" film; the Coen movie even the purists and fans stayed away from. Nor was that bias helped by the fact it can't be found on any of the major streaming services. All in all, a blank-cheque disaster?

Whoops. Wrong. Instead, the reality was a vibrant, fun urban fairy-tale (penned by Sam Raimi no less); an unabashedly screwball story, full of glorious miniatures and elaborate Art Deco sets - no doubt costly and thus ensuring that financial failure. Tim Robbins and Jennifer Jason Leigh shouldered the venture with magnetic and charming lead performances, full of effortless comic timing; while a strong supporting cast that included John Maloney, Bruce Campbell and Paul Newman made sure the spell was never lost by a dud actor stumbling over all the quickfire patter. Leigh's spunky energy could have crushed the film alone, had it not been carried off so well, all leaving a smile on my face every time she swaggered into a scene.

If it had a flaw, it might be that occasionally it all got a little too silly - and that finale was a little jarring - but this is a film crying out for a resurgence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

That Daily Wire movie "Terror on the Prairie" with the pair of ex-MMA fighters Gina Carrano and Donald Cerrone.

I expected nothing and was pleasantly surprised. It's rough around the edges in spots but Donald Cerrone isn't as bad as I expected and the cinematography is very nice.

Not just better than expected, but outright decent slow-burn Western yarn. I'd say 6.5/10 is about right, and I expected it'd be a 2 or 3 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

moxie - had to look it up, I believe I’ve only ever heard it used by Jewish characters on TV, assumed it wasn’t an English word.

Google search says it came from American slang in the 1920’s derived from the name of a soft drink.

They use it to mean bravery.

It's an old-timey word as I understand it, contemporaneous to the kind of character Jennifer Jason Leigh was playing; that spunky, fast-talking gal you might have had Audrey Hepburn playing, fadó fadó. Or Louis Lane from classic Superman comics: she's a tough reporter who always gets the scoop!

5 eps in to The Old Man - Jeff Bridges - it's good stuff.

Brian and Charles (2022)

A hilarious and touching film that snuck into my affection via its openly absurdist premise: a genial but lonely inventor in Wales, whose contraptions were both charming and utterly useless (an Egg Belt!), contrived to build a working robot that looked like something too shonky for Dr. Who; said robot choosing the name Charles Petrescu. What followed was an earnest, small-scale adventure as Brian learned to take care of Charles, the robot full of enthusiasm and wonder for everything around him - especially cabbage. The parallels with parenting were never less than obvious, especially with Charles' various, hilarious tantrums, but the beating heart was a story about finding love, connections, and staying true to your values. And flying cuckoo clocks.

Very much a film for which the word "quirky" was tailor-made, but never knowingly or obnoxiously so. While the cinematography had a haunting, lonely beauty about it. Not sure the choice to shoot it like a faux-documentary was the right one mind you; seemed a little redundant as affectations go - but equally, not in any way that sabotaged the overall experience either. I suspect some might find the open ludicrousness of Charles an immediate bridge too far, but this was a film worth silencing one's inner cynic for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Is it better than Finch (2021)?

Just after watching the trailer and that main character is the very same hilarious character from After Life.

Hopefully the trailer didn’t give away the best bits, will give it a watch. Cheers

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

The Ninth Gate (1999)

F**king desperate stuff this. Somebody recommended this to me as I'm a fan of occult based themes in movies and I actually never heard of it so I said I'd give it a twist. Probably the worst film based on the occult that I have ever seen. Only redeeming feature was the few minutes where Frank Lagella was in it at the start but even those scenes had the stinky whiff of the creators basically trying to copy some sort of Indiana Jones type set up situation template. And the F**king awful soundtrack, this goofy Pink Panther goofball detective theme that literally plonks out in literally every single scene where something is happening, or pathetically trying to happen. Absolutely terrible. If you google "good films about the occult" this thing is advertised as listed as number two or thereabouts, the algorithms definitely put it near the top anyways. Its about as near the top as the creatures that live in the marina trench.

Utter total rubbish/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Shred

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mann is such a great director. Shame he has spent most of his career re-making variations on the same crime story over and over again. Reminds me of Howard Hawks who remade Rio Bravo several times. Mann's non-crime films have been great. Hope Ferrari happens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ferrari's apparently starting production next month - one of the nuggets from his chat with Marc Maron (haven't had a chance to listen myself).

A strange conclusion for you to reach…he made a low budget LA Takedown starting out and he made Heat. 2 movies. The latter possibly the best crime thriller ever made.

Thief, Manhunter, The Insider, Ali, Last of the Mohicans, Collateral, Miami Vice, Public Enemies….Such a statement holds no water!

have to jump through a few hoops to read this but its worth it

Thank god because there's little more depressing when it comes to directors, than when they end a career on a total stinker - and Blackhat as Mann's swansong never sat right with me.

He directed some of Tokyo Vice though, right? That any good, been meaning to dabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes

Caught this on All4 tonight having heard the guys on The Filmcast talk about it. Pleasantly enjoyable sci-fi film, about a guy who discovers he has a window into the future. I won't say anymore than that but I will warn you that the budget is extremely low and it shows, the acting is also not the best standard but the execution of the idea is pretty amazing considering all of that. I think it's all one take, I wouldn't be the best at noticing this things but even if it's not the effort in putting it together has to be applauded. I could see Hollywood remakinh this and I'd like to see it but I also know that they would try to make it bigger, this works because it's simple and it neatly fits into a tight 70 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not one take, but a couple of shots spliced together cleverly to make it look like one take :)

Highly recommended for others to watch while it’s free to watch on All4. Personally I found it to be a wonderful little experiment that was funny and charming: a more imaginative and impressive execution of a high-concept idea than the likes of Tenet (to pick a recent Hollywood film with temporal gimmicks). Very much of a piece with its Japanese micro-budget predecessor One Cut of the Dead. Certainly relatively limited in some respects, but a 70 minute delight nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I have a bad habit of focusing on negatives so I just want to clarify that I would definitely recommend. The more I think about it the more in awe I am of how they did it, getting the timings right etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's a lot of similarities in his crime films. It goes beyond just LA Takedown/Heat. Collateral and Miami Vice in particular recycle aspects of his earlier crime films. And Thief was a proto-Heat in many respects. And now he's written a sequel to Heat and is talking about even doing a adaptation

It's just not the type of characters, storylines, or themes, sometimes he recycles scenes, dialogue and music. It's because I am such a big fan of Mann that I notice this. Part of the problem I think is that he has difficulty getting financing and a lot of projects have fallen through over the years.

My take on it would be that the similarities is in the characters - they are extremely detailed, and because of this expertise and detail perhaps it feels like a commonality in terms of the story. But I think its just that Mann is drawn to these exceptional characters. That NY times piece is quite revealing in that sense.

The other thing is his distinctive style could also give that impression. Collateral is about a hitman going around in a Taxi, but there are comparisons to be made in terms of the slickness and how its shot with Miami Vice, Heat and even Blackhat (the shooting scene). And its this style and visual detail that gives the impression he is making similar things. But for me they are all very different stories about very different people. He just has an incredible style that taps into the exceptionalism of the character that you can see in Thief from the opening scene breaking into the vault to how they load the money bags in Heat. So much detail and skill.

It would indeed have been nice if he had made more stuff, but I reckon he is the type of guy that is too meticulous and detailed for that. And expensive, when he comes to a studio and says I want to make this, full creative control and starts pitching a project it must be pretty daunting not to mention risky for the studio. Ferrari I imagine is going to cost 100mil+ in todays world. Will it get its money back? Hard to say, even if it is impeccable.

First episode is very good indeed. You know you are watching Michael Mann after a few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Shred

Mann was on WTF this week (http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1349-michael-mann); it’s worth a listen as he delves into how he got into the film business and many of his films, talks about his meticulousness (as mentioned above) and also Heat 2 of course which, for me at least, sounds intriguing (I’ll pick the book up when it comes out next month). I’m a huge fan of the the first one and it remains one of the most outstanding cinema experiences for me. As with anyone coming back to a project after a very long time it feels like he’s taking a big risk, but then Bladerunner 2049 and Top Gun Maverick turned out pretty well so I remain hopeful!

Crimes of the Future 2022 David Cronenberg's latest is an uncomfortable look into the future where there is no longer infection and pain amongst humans. He comes up with some quite disturbing stuff here, which doesn't feel like its impossible a few hundred years from now. Its essentially about humans and technology merging and the affect this has on humanity. Its worth watching for the sheer creativity of it and probably to see one final prediction from a great director who is now 79.

Just finished Godless on Netflix. It's got a great cast. 7 eps of a good old fashioned western.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,563 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched this today, really enjoyed it as well. Incredibly sweet. I kind of forgot about the documentary bit after a while.

The Phantom of the Open (2022)

A sweet and heartwarming film, one that celebrated the glory of sporting failure with a goofy smile; that distinctly British flavour where ineptitude is written as something worthy or noble in its own way. This would pair nicely with 2016's Eddie the Eagle - or Next Goal Wins for a more international angle. With this feature, there was a childlike playfulness that elevated the material; visual flights of fancy from the perspective of the main character's imagination, little flourishes that added a touch of innocent wonder to an ostensible story of golf - that most stuffy and pompous of sports.

Mark Rylance was as stellar as always: the actor giving his lead a quiet & shy demeanour, but one that mixed an outwardly earnest optimism with silent, internal calculation behind the eyes. The film made no attempt to tell a tale of genius untapped: Maurice Flitcroft was bloody useless and arguably had no business trying his hand at golf. Critically though, the script didn't try to paint his quixotic pursuit as callous or blind to his family's needs or wants. This was a loving, supportive father; one whose kindness was repaid by a family returning that constant encouragement. I've no idea what the real Maurice Flitcroft was like and invariably these biopics tend to take liberties with reality, but this fictionalised version was a hapless dreamer making do despite it all. A naif gently wrapping the knuckles of a sport infamous for its classism.

The bit kinda took a backseat the more the "plot" took over - but at least it wasn't as jarring as something like District 9 where the movie just forgot it started as a documentary.

• Advertisement

Mississippi Grind (2015)

A sort of degenerate gambler buddy road movie with the always good Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds showing that he's not just some low-range Marvel or Netflix stooge. Sienna Miller in support. A nice character study piece without paint-by-numbers motivations signposted to a mast that is kept rolling by the road movie momentum. Takes inspiration apparently from Robert Altman's "California Split" that I haven't seen but might try to track down.

6.8 / 10

Advertisement