Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a 2-acre lawn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

OP, I'm not sure what experience or knowledge you have of soil and grass and their characteristics?

Unless this is top class land or you are planning a professional drainage job and importing of topsoil, you will end up with 2 acres of rushes, moss, and weeds with very little grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

If it's fenced, a few sheep will eat it down to their hearts content!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Sheep are a nightmare, they will bust wire and hard to keep alive unless you are a farmer and use to caring for animals.

Would not recommend anyone to buy unless they have experience

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

It was all grass prior to being planted with trees, so it'll be back to that. It's also at the top of a hill so drainage shouldn't be too much of an issue.

To the other person asking about grants, I checked and no grants were involved.

And yes @SuperBowserWorld ultimate plan is to build a palatial palace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Enjoy, leave some camping space for the rest of us climate refugees. And plant some native Irish trees to remember the old sod by. ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Your machine will break down, the weather will taunt you and within a year or two the dream will turn into an expensive nightmare.

Better to create a wildflower meadow interspersed with some native trees, learning and teaching your kids about biodiversity ,flowers,and provide an ideal summer place to enjoy the views.

Late summer and early spring cuts only needed.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Don't forget a nice big pond to encourage wildlife into the area. Much more productive than lawn and doesn't need as much maintenance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once used a product called miracle gro evergreen no rake on my lawn; apparently it breaks down moss and fertilises the lawn. the instructions say to apply at a rate of 100-150g/sq m.

obviously this is not just standard fertiliser, and you wouldn't be using it (they clearly didn't envisage it being used on that scale), but just for the laugh i calculated that in your case - creating a lawn of nearly one hectare - a single application of the stuff would require one ton of it. and it's only available in 20kg bags, so you'd need 50 at a cost of just over €2,000.

nah that's what the other 5 acres are for... already has trees growing on it in fact, seedlings from the trees that were there before.

As I said before, I'll get the area de-stumped, and soil turned over and then can decide what to do with it, but do want the large wide area.

A couple of ash trees are on the area already so they will be left untouched, so it won't be 100% plain grassland.

€2K every year or a once-off?

If it's a once-off that's an expense that won't be an issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's not only that. It was basically made illegal to unilaterally cut down a tree around the time the OP is talking about they were cut. So you have to apply for a licence which would generally not be granted without an obligation to replant that plot (or occasionally, another plot in lieu). Grants or no grants.

It might well be longer actually, can't recall. Probably around 2006-8 when they were cut. Other land that isn't mine on the plot has been left unplanted and used for other non-arborous activities, and within view of the roadside (my 2 acres is not viewable unless you trek up past the untouched 5 acres). Solicitor involved in the land exchange also verified there were no restrictions on the use of the land.

2 acres isn't really that big 😁

This actually looks a lot like the sort of scrub and surrounding trees we have in the area, and looks a lot like what I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would it be possible to put up a photo of the surrounding farmland or of the soil profile of your land? Digging a test hole to accurately identify the profile of the ground is always a good starting point.

It's really just as I said, the land isn't great for crops, but is fine for grass and trees. The surrounding farmland is all used by sheep farmers (and actually has the sort of grass I want ironically).

It's shallow soil from what I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sounds huge ... great potential...

Maybe 2 acres in Ireland is a different measurement to every other country? 🤣

Advertisement