Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

That’s it. No reason why we shouldn’t wish him well.

Highlights were the AI semi win against KK on 2020 in an empty Croke Park. Strange occasion but a brilliant team performance that day to come back from 7/8 points down in the second half to beat The Cats.

great performances v Tipp and Galway last year and the league final win this year. 3 years is a good innings and not forgetting covid times aswell was a tough slog for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah I'd go along with that, I know things ended on a sour note but we definitely had more good days than bad under Cahill and some of the good days mentioned above really were fantastic. Even some of the league wins over Limerick and Tipp last year and battering Tipp again this year were very satisfying. Wish Liam well but obviously not at our expense!

Anyone in the know of where we are in the process of appointing a new management team? Are the CB drawing up a list of potential candidates and/or putting out the feelers for interested parties? Would be great to have someone in by the time the club championships start (or soon thereafter if that timeframe isn't achievable).

On that note, looking forward to the start of the club championships - less than two weeks to go for the start of the senior and I see the intermediate and junior start this weekend. I wonder if they will be available to purchase for online live streaming like previous years? Would be great for those of us abroad but suspect that was only in place with capacity restrictions due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Best of Luck to Liam Cahill and Mikey Bevan's with the usual caveat (but not when playing us) - they gave it a shot and gave us some great times and instilled pride and belief in this panel - mind you the also made (what I believe) were some grave errors. All that being said many of the senior players on the panel now have to decide that their time is nigh - they have to stop behaving like children and either step up or step away - no blaming management or referees, they need to look to themselves and take responsibility for both the good and the bad.

No disrespect to KK players , but last Sunday they performed way above themselves, and were within a score of Limerick at the end. They did this because they were committed to fight to the end, they believed in themselves and their manager - you didn't see Richie Hogan or Walter Walsh sulking because the were only bit players, they came in and gave it their all.

The new management have to lay it on the line and accept nothing less than 100% for the team - it may take 12 months of heartbreak, to instill this into the panel, but if that is what it takes - if lads want to go travelling let them go, no point in holding lads against their will - they could stay and end up injured for the year like Cian Lynch, that's what panels are about - we have a strong panel and there are young lads coming through in twos and threes all the time, so we have to keep hammering at the door and hope for that break through- which is why more than ever we need the right appointment, and not a short term fix such as Sheedy, Fitzgerald, Kenny or Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Not a chance in hell he’d manage Waterford, or no chance in hell the county board are intelligent enough to sell the job to him but Liam Sheedy would be the best appointment we’d ever make in Waterford and I’d be very confident that if he was given 3 years he’d deliver an All Ireland. The man is a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

From a Tipp perspective the question is why? A year ago he was sure Waterford were the next great thing and couldn't possibly leave, now suddenly he can. The Tipp team certainly haven't improved, so either the Tipp Co Board have made him an offer he can't refuse, or somehow things went sour with the Waterford panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Might be a few factors, but I think much like his statement said in plain terms it's one thing to turn it down once. It was a big risk to take, but I'd say we'd all agree if he turned it down a 2nd time there'd be no 3rd offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

likely he will given his attitude of blaming the players and refusing to take any personal criticism.He will lilkely overtrain them then throw them under the bus when it doesnt work leading to a revolt. it's like poetry it rhymes.

he will need to make a statement coming in same as he did retiring connors and mossy , and if the results dont come first year the public will turn against him.

and its not like in waterford, he cant walk in and out of the car to the training ground and not hear it, every shop every pub anywhere he goes he will get it in the ear

I wish if he was to go he should have went 2 months ago , not commit and then flake ,poor form from him , waterford vs tipp will make some games next year ,expect a better battle then LK will give us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

good point about ballygunner, unless he can manage both probably wont happen, maybe he can work in as selector as understudy under brennan ?

in saying that in theory the 2 seasons shouldnt overlap, so in theory he can do both, if he wants to ,he will also be in the unenviable position of managing 2 of his nephews and the pressure that brings , we saw it with kingston , he refused to start his son even though everytime he came on he kept turning the game out of fear of criticism

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

All that happened. Though he wouldn't be my choice for our job now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Why do you think Eddie Brennan would get the job? What has he ever won as a manager. Has made cuala far worse and managed alot of the Kilkenny players who played last be Sunday when they lost to Westmeath under 21s. Be some disaster for ye if he was to get it.

Ye should be going after someone like Liam Sheedy or try to convince Henry to move counties.

maybe his reasons for staying on with Waterford this year were absolutely genuine. He had built a big rapport with the players and they’d given him everything for the previous 2 years, and felt there was unfinished business and he owed it to them to stick with them. Fair enough it didn’t work out this year but that’s sport.

Tipp shouldn’t take it so personal. he was being honourable to the Waterford players the county that gave him his first shot at intercounty management. His time to manage Tipp has come now and ye should embrace him and be thankful to have him back

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Is Eddie Brennan coaching anyone at the moment? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Waterford county board keep ringing. You'd think they'd give Kinnerk a few days to enjoy the latest victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

No he's nor involved with anyone he said on newstalk the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mitchells33

I am hearing it is done and dusted Davy Fitz is getting the job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mitchells33

Finding it hard to believe myself, but my contact also told me Liam Cahill would be the Tipp manager within a few days before Colm Bonnar got the boot last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭914

Loads of bollocks.

If Davy goes anywhere it's Dublin, not a hope in hell he returns to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Ger loughlane interviewed tonight apparently….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

matt Keane said Marty morrisey interviewed Liam Cahill tonight RTÉ Anybody here it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Cahill: 'I want to be very clear that I received a phone call a short time after Colm Bonnar's exit'

https://the42.ie/5821487

So within 3 days it was all done dusted and ratified? Cmon Liam….

this debacle is getting better by the day. Glad it’s not us that’s the laughing stock for a change

Heard from a good contact who is a mother of a friend's son who's second cousin that works on farm, one of the lads working on the farm knows the players.

He said that Dan and Justin McCarthy made up and will be taking the job.

Justin, Dan, Ray Barry and How Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

DMG is the overwhelming players choice. whether they will be listened to is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

I actually don't think DMG is the bad option people think he is. First off as a manager his primary role role is man management and organisation and he's excellent at that. The key question is who he'd get in as coach with him and would they want to build on our existing gameplan rather than replace it i.e. add a coherent puck out strategy on top of the running game.

And before everyone goes ah but he loves the sweeper. The modern game means that your 6 sits as a free man most of the time on the D anyway. Centre forwards are dropping way out the field trying to pick up loose ball and you rarely follow them as a 6 out the field. Also Limerick frequently play with 12+ players in their own half. They're just blessed with a player like Gillane who makes the ball stick when outnumbered. Waterford should also have 12-13 players in our half to create overlaps from deep for our running game.

Key question as I said above is who is the coach and do they add to the gameplan rather than replace.

P.S. anyone else a bit annoyed there's no statement on a committee who's looking for a new candidate yet?

Committee has yet to be formed, based on a news and star post.

"County Board sources are adamant that the same procedure will be followed as operated in the appointment of Liam Cahill with Co. Board chairman, Sean Michael O’Regan, set to appoint a committee to source a manager and come back with a recommendation to the County Board. As of yet no such committee has been appointed but will be as soon as possible. Until that is done all, everything else is only rumour and speculation."

Don’t know if the players have earned the right to be listened to.

Maybe they prefer Derek cos they like being told what special wonderful human beings they all are, but a better bet is someone from outside the county that has experienced all Ireland success. Someone to come in with that winning mentality is our best chance of getting over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jmf1993

would love to see Liam sheedy step in and take the job. Can’t stand the thought of McGrath coming back in he had his chance and that should be it need new faces

Advertisement