Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

This may well evolve into a full revamp of the EU migration rules for stricter controls by member states.

Firstly the clear abuse of the system by many from outside the EU,the predicted mass movement of people from North Africa over the next ten years and the continuing threat from terrorist groups.

This move by our government clearly show that the government are fully aware of the problem and are finally going to address it with the vast majority of Irish citizens wanting more robust controls put in place .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It would be easier he/she said it, rather than insulting everyone's intelligence with boogyman nonsense about convoys of women spiriting weapons into Ireland in the boot of their car through at least three security pinch points.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just love how the Government has found all this extra money, resources and personnel to do all this virtually overnight for refugees.

Should make short work of the long-standing housing and health crisis then next, as well as all the other problems the natives have faced here for years or even decades...

... Oh wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm fully aware of whats going on in Gormanstown as you well know , I was referring to long term and the virtue signalling that will halt this , particularly nearer to September when more Hotels will come on stream, I can almost hear the hoteliers hands rubbing gleefully.

Interesting no Photos yet of the Arrivals at Gormanstown this morning 🤔

Also Interesting Roderic O Gorman this morning, at pains to emphasise folks being sent here will stay there for a MAXIMUM of a week 🤔 he also admitted for the first time a similar set up being constructed at City West, but of course the dogs on the street knew this for over a week . Gosh, I do hope they are putting in padded flooring , Tarmac not terribly comfortable at the best of times.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Just on the point of car reg plates, i personally saw good few in Fanore in the beach car park in the last few days. And saw a few in Dublin. Was a bit surprised to think that a car journey would be a reasonable one all the way to Ireland (I mean, one would have had to drive through a fair bit of other countries before they come here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

I am seeing a lot of Ukrainian cars driving around now, and a lot of them are big engined mercs and BMW,s if they are going to be here for a long time what is the situation with car tax like I have to pay or nct that I have to pay, are the government going to pay out in the case of an accident.

Maybe the wife of that Ukrainian MP who was caught trying to cross over the Hungarian border in March with $28m USD and €2m 💶 cash might help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's no shortage of Ukraine registered vehicles in Kerry. I doubt that the VRT fellas will be pestering them in the same way that they pester anyone else with a foreign reg.

I'd say that the "honeymoon" that started back in February is pretty much now over, and that even a lot of the full time "do gooders" are on the verge of boiling over.

I think it's fair to say there's lots of Ukrainian Reg plated cars here , numerous sightings reported, I recall one in Galway at a Electric charging point posted earlier on the thread and admire its owner coming all this way in an EV , they must have had to map out that journey carefully and probably got more of a shock on arrival over the lack of charging points than the standard of accommodation and food services on offer.

This topic rekindled over a quite absurd notion Guns and weapons being brought in with these cars , whilst I've stong views on lots of shenanigans going on, I'm afraid this idea was fanciful at best and Moronic at worst. Whilst there's little of no vetting of those actually coming in, Vehicles are checked.

Whilst Genuine Refugees perfectly entitled to bring their cars , it does raise litigamate questions and just from an optics point of view its looks pretty bad, high end, expensive cars parked outside emergency accommodation centres. Dare I say there's obviously some questionable characters driving about and I remain concerned about insurance etc. I wonder will these folks be required to re register these vehicles, like others do if resident after a certain period of time 🤔 (of course they won't)

So yes it is curious to see , particularly very high end Ukrainian cars around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Did I hear the minister say that they'll only be in Roderic O'Gormanstown Tented Village for a week? Where are they going to go after a week when we were told last week there's no accommodation available?

Touché Roderic O Gormanstown 🤣

Yes, he said this morning . Perhaps there's a second camp in Tayto Park, we don't know about, perhaps they'll move these folks between the two until they run out of space. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Pull in your horns, I said nothing about the issue - I was relying to your snide put down of another poster. I have no opinion on whether guns are coming over in the cars - however it is a fact that cars are here.

The rest of your post is you arguing with yourself in your head, so good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭jmreire

Getting guns here in Ireland does not seem to pose too much of a problem, given the nr's and types of guns recovered by the Guardai from the drug gangs. And if the gangs can do it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

Sorry if this has been shared before but thought this recent article might be of interest here, mainly as an indicator indicator of people's opinion on the matter https://www.newstalk.com/news/surprise-surprise-the-government-have-run-out-of-available-accommodation-for-ukrainian-refugees-1364258

I think it's time to get away from this Guns and weaponry angle 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have a feeling that tents will have to be long term come September ,Not only will students be returning but many who took Ukrainians into homes are giving them a months notice too .Some are here since March and people only took them for six months .Many posts now on FB looking to re home their guests .,

Some pretty stark warnings about Gas and oil supplies on the news at one .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You are very naive if you think a massive amount of unregistered weapons being shipped to Ukraine, coupled with massive movements of people across border including people smuggling (how else do you think those fighting aged males are getting out of the country?), will not lead to increased weapons smuggling across the continent.

On the internet you can buy all kinds of gear now straight from Ukraine, even the likes of Javelins and NLAWs are for sale having been 'picked up' by arms dealers out there. For criminal gangs all over Europe its going to be like Christmas, with heavy weaponry available around Poland/Romania/Ukraine.

Waiving any kind of background checks into people who so much as claim to be Ukrainian is going to lead to all kinds of people who shouldn't be here, getting here. And you can be sure that at least some of them have criminal backgrounds. When we look back at this in 5 years time, I'll have told you so.

O I do agree and despite all the Virtue Signalling Tented accommodation here to stay if numbers not capped, I guess I'm just saying this looks terrible and government knows it , that's all they care about, optics so they'll be desperately trying to do deals with hotels, no matter what the cost 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

I think what started with as good intention, failed grandly due to lack of common sense and planning and taking precautions.

It is also unexplained desire to help others while your own are suffering: for instance, students have zero accommodation, my neighbor's son got brilliant LC results, lovely lad, but not looking forward to college offers as they won't be in a position to rent in Dublin, yet the government is in now rush to build/convert/rent out extra accommodation facilities. Same family, their other kid didn't get a place in secondary school locally, due to shortage of places. Yet the same school found places for several ukrainian children.

Loads of other thing are going on.

But don't they say, the rule of safety on the crashing airplane is to put an oxygen mask on yourself, then to help others.

Wouldn't it be more sense to sort our own problems before we land tens of thousands on top of everything? No, i am not against refugees, but i am very much against discriminating against your own in favor of others (who, in turn, in a lot of case take advantage of the system and the people).

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ll be buying a couple of electric heaters before the summer ends that’s for sure.

mind you, might need a generator too.

country and it’s politicians are really the complete pits.

My God , your electric bill be be off the scale but I hear you, its going to be a very scary winter ahead 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

Scotland, with its population of 5.5 million and the same size as Ireland has now suspended its "overwhelmed super sponsor scheme for Ukrainian refugees", after accepting in only 8,000 ukrainian refugees.

Ireland has taken in over 50,000.

Daily Mail credibility is probably somewhere between 0 and 1 much of the time on a 10 scale, but interesting article and comments section: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11024079/Nicola-Sturgeons-betrayal-Ukraine-refugees-Backlash-plan-families-CRUISE-SHIP.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭golondrinas

have seen a good few in the Rosslare / Wexford area. maybe the guy who has seen none lives in his Mammy's basement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have zero clue what you're going on about here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that all Irish governments over the decades have had a thing for putting on a show for the rest of the world, just to show how good and charitable Ireland is, and have always ignored the fact that Ireland has its own social problems. I remember that during a time years ago, when it was Ireland's turn for an EU Presidency, there was a meeting of EU dignitaries in Tralee. Prior to the meeting, all the local rough sleepers and winos were rounded up, and taken to Castleisland until the EU meeting concluded. No way were those people going to be spotted by the EU high flyers, oh no.

I have complete empathy for genuine refugees, asylum seekers, and those categorised as homeless, but have no empathy whatsoever for anyone in those groups who are taking the proverbial. People always refer to "our homeless", and don't seem to realise that some of them with no means of support, arrived from other EU countries on a whim.

Of all the refugee/asylum issues in recent years, the Ukraine refugee situation in Ireland has been the biggest governmental screw up of all. Thousands of people who offered accommodation at the start of this stepped back, and for whatever reason didn't even start the vetting process. As a consequence, there's an even worse accommodation problem for the refugees.

With everything in a state of chaos, I think the last straw is already on the camel's back.

I believe we've taken in the equivalent of 83 per 10,000 of our population, France has taken in 14 per head of population and UK the same, and yet Leo Varadkar says we may not of done or fair share, knowing as he does we've NO ROOM left, literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well in fairness, you've an awful lot to say on the subject!

Tents are appropriate accommodation for refugees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement