Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

a) not a warzone according to the aggressor

b) Ukraine is defending itself, that is precisely what the equipment would be used for. "defence purposes"

Now, the Swiss are the Swiss, but there really isn't a grey area there, if they were truly "neutral", they wouldn't export any equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think it is too easy to criticise Swiss neutrality during WW2, especially looking back on it 80 years later with the hindsight that comes with that. They were at one point totally surrounded by Axis nations. A lot is made of their hiding of Nazi gold but they did also shoot down German Luftwaffe fighters that entered their airspace.

More important is the question of their current neutrality and I can tell you that many people here are not ok with it with regards to the Ukraine - Russia conflict however I can understand their overall reasoning. Your neutrality once lost is not something easy to re-establish and would require (I imagine) a popular vote to overturn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is not neutral. Supplying arms to a country is, by their own definition here, taking the side of the country they are supplying the arms to.

Not to mention it would be going to Ukraine "for defence purposes".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

When not at war, presumably any side is free to buy arms from them. That is still neutral.

Supplying to one side during an active conflict is not neutral. Not that hard to comprehend

Selling a massive stockpile of arms to Country A who then proceeds to use them to invade Country B, whereupon you then refuse to engage with country A to provide them any arms would not be neutral. Though it certainly helps the Swiss to pretend otherwise.

The Swiss are as hypocritical about their supposed neutrality as much as we are, just in a different way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good article in the IT from a Russia expert assessing Russian public opinion towards the war. He reckons they 'do' support it but are having to engage in cognitive dissonance to justify it and may feel that support for the regime is the least worst option. It's clearly a deeply dysfunctional country and poles apart from its neighbours in Europe (hence the guys we see on state TV sounding absolutely barking mad to our western ears).

Where did you find their definition of supplying arms? As far as I understand their rules, they can sell arms to any nation on earth as long as that nation is not currently at war or that it will be used in conflict zones. Buying the munitions for self defence for use against a possible future aggressor is different to supplying munitions to a country currently at war (be it defensive or otherwise).

Switzerland have clearly defined rules for this kind of thing and any change to their rules takes time. It usually has to go through a popular vote which generally takes at least two years (though I don't know if that covers their neutrality).

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-block-german-request-to-re-export-tank-ammunition-to-ukraine/47548036

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Article on how possible offensive in Kherson would look like

Edit: Ukraine started hitting the only bridge on the Dnipro

The potential to trap 10 Russian BTGs behind a 300m wide river is high

I don't care what their definition is nor do I care that they are following their own rules. It is still pathetic and reflects poorly on Switzerland.

If you want to truly be neutral don't export arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Not sure whether that's the best plan, at least if they still want to retake the other bank of the Dnipro. Yes, it's a Russian supply line at the moment but it is easier to cross a river via a bridge than it is to do so with amphibious forces. This is doubly the case for resupply. A 300 meter wide river is a formidable obstacle for any army.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The ammunition in question was 35mm autocannon rounds for the "Gepard" (German for Cheetah) tracked AA vehicles that Germany has committed to send to Ukraine as per the latest official list provided by the federal government in Berlin:

Military support for Ukraine | Federal Government (bundesregierung.de)

At the moment, the Bundeswehr has enough ammunition to supply each of the 30 "Gepard" vehicles with 6000 rounds of ammunition, which is basically nothing. In a news dated July 11th, German news channel n-tv states that the chancellery was able to find a new supplier in Norway that is able to produce the 35mm rounds for "Gepard". Tests of the new ammunition supposedly took place at the Bundeswehr's Putlos training range this week, according to the n-tv article. The same article also states that the first vehicles are supposed to be delivered before the end of the month.

Article (German): Ukraine-Krieg: Hersteller für fehlende "Gepard"-Munition gefunden - Wehrressort in Norwegen - n-tv.de

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Interesting article with quotes/references about Russian supply issues

The theory is that when Russians break, they will break quickly as happened near Kiev

Edit:

Depends on your definition of neutral I guess and your version does not correspond to the reality. You could also say that you export arms equally to all nations whether at war or not and this would still be considered as neutral under some definitions.

Yup you could, which is more or less the definition the Swiss would have used during WW2. They adjust the definition they use as it suits them.

Obviously they can do whatever the want but I don't think there is anything moral or principled about their stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Two thing from those articles:

1. They can't find people to hose down the human remains from the husks of javelin destroyed tanks to make the frame somehow serviceable again. F*cking grim

2. The Wagner Group mercenaries are now just convicts sprung from prison.

Dial up the pressure on Russia, they'll crack soon. Let the rockets rain down on their sorry skulls. The mid-August assessment from the first article seems highly optimistic, but we could well see the collapse before the year's end and before winter. I can't see them having the stomach to be getting slaughtered en-masse in the snow with no equipment and without even rations getting to the front.

I read something yesterday about the conscripted convicts turning out to be useless in battle. Hardly a surprise - a lot of them would be ill disciplined layabouts and drug addicts and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Personally I think it is appalling. Soldiers/civilians' welfare goes beyond politics. At least it should. They can't say 'It's not politically correct to help you'. Even some decent Russian soldiers and medics help wounded Ukrainians.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

The worst thing the west could do now is hesitate. Like the saying goes 'He who hesitates...'

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

It really was a joke thinking that Russia was a peer military power of the US. The professionalism and power projection capacity of the US (at least when you task them with conventional warfare and not trying to turn Afghanistan into South Korea) is decades ahead of Russia. It's not even a conversation.

Much of it came from Kremlin propaganda aimed at the serfs. "We're one of the greatest nations on earth" etc. What it ignored was just how rancid and corrupt the place has become under Putin - a second rate banana republic with delusions de grandeur. The corruption and kleptocracy is a huge factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The spokesman of the battalion named after Sheikh Mansur, Islam Belokiev, said that the Ichkerians have started preparations for hostilities in Chechnya. Ichkeria is divided into three fronts and 16 sectors. There is an intensive collection of information on cities where the Russians are deployed for attacks.

"If Chechnya trembles, Russia will collapse" Belokiev

Didn't see this posted but could have missed it. Could be just bluster but time will tell. Also, I think he looks a bit like Eric Cantona.

It's extremely high risk making young men from the Caucuses jump into the meat grinder. If those republics turn on Moscow, all hell will break loose.

And yes, he rather does look like Cantona doesn't he? Anyone seen King Eric lately? Exactly the type of thing he'd get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Probably the case but some would have military experience and let's be fair if there killed on the Battlefield its one less person in a Russian prison they need to guard so a win win for Russia. They get more people to fight in Ukraine and if they die 1 less for Russia to guard back in their jails/gulags. Only thing is I wouldn't want to be captured by some of them I can only imagine what they they would do to Ukrainian service people if they capture them and I can only imagine what some of them would be like around civilians. Some of them shouldn't ever see the light of day and now they have a gun and let loose in Ukraine.

It wasnt a problem in ww2 though for the swiss

They played both sides no problem then

Russian war correspondent and milblogger Maksim Fomin stated that Russia has begun a “volunteer mobilization,” where every region must generate at least one volunteer battalion. The term “volunteer mobilization” likely implies that the Kremlin ordered the 85 “federal subjects” (regions, including occupied Sevastopol and Crimea) to recruit and financially incentivize volunteers to form new battalions, rather than referring to literal mobilization relying on conscription or the compulsory activation of all reservists in Russia. Russian outlets reported that regional officials recruit men up to 50 years old (or 60 for separate military specialties) for six-month contracts and offer salaries averaging 220,000 to 350,000 rubles per month (approximately $3,750 to $6,000).Separate regions offer an immediate enlistment bonus that averages 200,000 rubles (approximately $3,400) issued from the region‘s budget and social benefits for the servicemen and their families. Russian media has already confirmed the creation or deployment of volunteer battalions in Kursk, Primorskyi Krai, Republic of Bashkortostan, Chuvashia Republic, Chechnya, Republic of Tatarstan, Moscow City, Perm, Nizhny Novgorod, and Orenburg Oblasts in late June and early July.Tyumen Oblast officials announced the formation of volunteer units (not specifically a battalion) on July 7.

Volunteer battalions could generate around 34,000 new servicemen by the end of August if each federal subject produces at least one military unit of 400 men. Some Russian reports and documentation suggest that the Kremlin seeks to recruit an estimated 400 soldiers per battalion, who will receive a month of training before deploying to Ukraine. The number of men may vary as some federal subjects such as Republic of Tatarstan and Chechnya are establishing two and four volunteer battalions, respectively. It is possible that some federal subjects may delay or not participate in the establishment of the battalions, with officials in Volgograd reportedly remaining silent on the formation of the new units.Newly formed battalions are currently departing to training grounds and will likely complete their month-long training by end of August but they will not be combat ready in such a short time period.

A month of training…

• Advertisement

If there some ex-military among them, you could probably turn them into soldiers, but a lot of the others are just going to be unfocussed layabouts. Men who have ended up in the slammer are not likely to be disciplined or professional or types that will respond well to authority. I was reading that they have been very low calibre on the battlefield so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement