Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

It was really down to putts not dropping. And a bad second shot on 14. His putting looked nervous though, which is why they weren't dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

This is a pretty good summary, balanced and to the point. Too many extremes on here, driven by pre-conceptions or angles that help drive narratives people believe in, rather than looking at the cold hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

I think this sums it up perfectly for me. There won't be another Tiger but lots of people had Rory down as probably finishing up on the next rung down just below Jack and Tiger. I certainly think double digit majors was more than a possibility. From a personal point of view (I know plenty will disagree), and I'm watching and playing golf since the 80s when Seve, Faldo etc were in their pomp, he's the best player I've seen, but won't have anywhere close to the best record. Is that pretty contradictory ? Probably ! He won't have Tiger's record but maybe the non golf part of his life is better.

Matching a Phil or Faldo, incredible as a career as that would be, would IMHO be a disappointment (in relative terms). If he has, say, 5 years left at the very, very top, that's 20 more majors, he'd need to be picking up one a year or thereabouts to get to where he probably feels he should be. One a year for 5 years is pretty Tiger like domination, so I'd guess its fairly unlikely. I felt if he got the win yesterday he was likely to go on a bit of a tear and pick up maybe 3 of the next 6 or something, but I do feel after yesterday, there's a good chance he may end up finishing on the 4 he has. The same as Koepka and Els and one ahead of Harrington would absolutely be a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

The cold hard facts were that he saved his worst round of the 4 till last by 2 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

it doesn't matter what day you play your worst, its the sum of the days, smith was outstanding, all the top players were

-8 on the last day is gonna get it done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Not if the guy who starts 4 shots ahead of you has an above average day on the course, it doesn’t. (Average score for the 83 players on Sunday was just under -2, 44 players shot -3 or better)

Id argue it matters greatly. And playing your worst on the last day isnt ideal.

He wasn't just beaten by Smith, Young also beat him.

29 players shot -4 or better yesterday.

The course was there for the taking.

He didn't get any really unlucky bounce or break over the day.

With those conditions he should really have made it 30 players.

Tough one to take for him.

At this stage of his career he's not going to take much solace from a third place (or a second place), particularly given the starting position he had for the final round.

Possibly a bit harsh but the reference has some basis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Has to be said there is an incredible amount of sh1t talked on this thread.. smith had 6 birdies on the back nine yesterday.. young eagled the last .

People are so desperate for Rory to fail so they can roll out the "i knew he was a bottler" line.. its pathetic. 18 under for a major with much improved wedge play and putting is what im taking away from this performance..

• Advertisement

if you have a massive lead it doesn't matter, playing shite on friday is as bad as playing shite sunday, its totals that matter

even if Rory had shot -3 hed have lost

shooting -8 is gonna put you in the mix, his scores across the 4 days were unreal

shooting 1 over par on saturday, even that couldnt undo the good, and 73 is still a good score

You can take away that -18 is great scoring, and that he let the opportunity to win slip away, it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

he said bottler, which is what the thread constantly circles, see MAYO above

not exactly the same is it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think it's fair to say he let the opportunity slip away. It's his first time really contending on the closing holes of a Major since 2014.

I was almost sure he would not win another Major but I'm not so sure anymore!

1. Play 4 good consistent rounds in a Major. Tick✔️
    2. No implosion. Tick✔️
    3. He needed a close call to feel that pressure of really contending again. He almost ticked that box.
    4. Saudi Golf. DJ, Brooks, Bryson, Louis Oost, Reed....prob Cam Smith and Hideki and even more. Less competition. Tick✔️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I think what also added to his slightly conservative play (debatable), is that he was in complete control for the front 9 and even a couple of holes into the back 9, but then all of a sudden Smith had birdied 5 consecutive holes and he found himself behind. Even though putts weren't dropping for him in the first 9, he probably still felt he was on track to win but then all of sudden someone goes on a tear and it got very hard to catch with the holes that were remaining. That's why 14 in particular was a bad hole, he knew he needed a birdie there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I wonder how long it will take Rory to get to sleep over the coming weeks, publicly he gave the media response but internally he must be gutted.

When he finally does get to sleep it's The Masters next and the pressure all over again to close out the Grand Slam

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

No implosion was the big one. Rory traditionally has an awful hole every major if not an awful round. He'd make you so nervous as a fan, every shot when he in the lead and you wondering is this the one that's gonna blow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

I agree with all that but 4, there is some really talented players on the tour now. When mcilroy finally wins another major he will have earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Smith really pounced to win it, he said himself that it was a course that suited coming from behind on. He seemed fairly genuine in that.

Rory comes under a lot of scrutiny, rightly and wrongly. I done so myself plenty of times but I would have a fair degree of sympathy for him on Sunday. It wasn't outrageous to think that he just had to beat Hovland and/or post a semi decent round to win it from his starting position.

As you say, this hadn't really changed for the first half of the round either.

He'll probably have a few sleepless nights but if he had went out aggressive and had a couple of disaster holes, the scarring would be much much worse. I think he tried to do the right thing but got caught on the hop by a phenomenal back 9 from Smith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

I think 9/10 times Rory would of won that Major! He was just unlucky Cam had an incredible run of holes! He had 1 putt cant remember the hole but it was early back 9 and he left his putt in the jaws on the lip just half a turn needed might of turn it on after but who knows! If I was him I'd be more determined than ever! Masters cant come quick enough he will relish it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,234 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well yes, but if it was just Young, I think Rory would have probably secured a playoff with a birdie on 18, rather than having to trying to chip in for eagle.

McIlroy has the complete game now. Hit all 18 greens in the final round. Bar Sunday, his putting has improved leaps and bounds. Brad Faxon doing great work with Rors. His wedge game, an achilles heel in the past has also improved immeasurably. Very impressed with his short game too, looks to have more variety than in the past. His ball striking has always been good and I feel that he is swinging it as good as the 2012 and 2014 glory years.

My prediction for Rory for the next 8 months, is that he will win his third FedEx Cup in East Lake at the end of next month and become the Race To Dubai champion too in mid November. Such a pity that the US PGA has changed dates from it's usual August time. More importantly I can see him being the world number one player by year's end. I could be completely wrong and posters can call me out with my positivity, but I do feel that Rory is in a very good place mentally and that's translating on the golf course too.

The 2023 Masters can't come soon enough for RM.

9/10 times he’d have won? Are having a laugh?

Not for the first time in a major, when the weight of expectation was heavy, he let it slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭benny79

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Christ this rubbish again.

He didn't let it slip. Smith had an unbelievable round. When or who was the last golfer to birdie 5 holes in a row on the last day of a major?

Rory played very good over the 4 days but Smith was just better. That's not "a slip".

c’mon, even some of his most ardent fans on here acknowledge that his final day score was nowhere near good enough when most golfers around him were shooting low scores. That is letting it slip.

I think he played very well over the 4 days, but you have to admit it was his for the taking, even a slightly above average score would have been enough on a day when a quarter of the field shot -5 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,529 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is it 17 top tens since his last major? I know he has more than anybody else. That shows consistency and you've gotta feel that somebody with that amount of high finishes has been a bit unlucky not to win one.

• Advertisement

The fact that gets me is that on Sunday it wasn't just Smith that had a good round.

29 players shot 4 under or better

Surely McIroy needs to be ending up in the Top 30 (the top 3/8ths of the field or merely the top 37.5%) of rounds of the day in terms of performance, particularly in such "accessible conditions" as it was on Sunday.

Performance relative to the field as a whole is pertinent.

He 2-putted every one of the 18 greens.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement