Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Diversity and inclusion won over quality and respect for original material again with the new Resident Evil series. This time there's no strong white straight character at al, none, all diversity, if it's white it has to be lesbian.

And if we get over the diversity crap, it's still bad. So why are they doing this? There's plenty of good lore and character in the games, why sh1t on it like that? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

To say this diversity and inclusion thing is overdone would be an understatement.

When RTE's West of Ireland regional reporter did a piece on my local St. Patrick's Day parade this year he said 'the theme of the parade was diversity and inclusion'. He also said something like we were living in a diversity and inclusion era. An era! And I have a memory he said the same thing the last time he reported on the parade, which was 3 years before due to parades being cancelled.

And since when did St Patrick's Day ever have a theme other than the theme of Irish people and St. Patrick's day. I don't think it should be hijacked for 'causes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Not playing the Person here. But the sig 10/10 I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@Cordell Thanks for the warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

How to announce that it's gonna suck: main promotional poster features someone that's so clueless about shooting a bow that even myself, who shot maybe 20 arrows in my whole life, can tell that he's going to bleed if that bow it's real. And of course that unsupported arrow will go anywhere but not on target. Well, I guess that's it.

And some comments:

Apparently everyone can shot the bow their own way and every way it's good because this is how things work. We're hopeless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh, Hollywood gets damned near everything wrong with such things. Even big budget stuff. Look at Ridley Scotts last duel. This guy's armour is farcically bad and ill fitting;

And the fight of the title at the end of the flic was woefully innaccurate and the usual "knights wallow around in mud swinging at each other" trope of Hollywood flics.

A lot of it is down to what we've become used to as signals that we're in such and such an era so the "medieval" is dark, muddy and dank with eff all colour. If they actually tried to be more accurate maybe audiences wouldn't buy it? Like cowboy flics where they wore bowler hats instead of stetsons(which would be historically accurate).

So about as accurate as Monty Python, who were very knowing about the image of the period(Terry Jones was quite the scholar of the period and others).

Pretty much every Hollywood trope of knights an' that, minus the laughs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What has how a guy is holding an arrow got to do with being woke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Because he’s black.

There I said it. People are picking at nits over that character because the actor who plays him is black.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It was beyond me as to why people were making a fuss over the bow and arrow. Tolkien wasn't known for diversity I suppose. I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan so I'll probably watch it at some stage.

yeah not too bothered about these kind of iconic movie's to series typa things myself, I prolly wouldn't watch it anyway.

In encouraging news the new Star Trek series that just finished up it's first season there last week seemed to have listened and gotten rid of the woke nonsense. Everyone agrees it was a complete success. See, it's worth complaining about these types of things. Keep it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A black elf.

In Middle Earth. 😂

There were dark skinned humans in Middle Earth, but guess who they sided with? Very problematic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I really don't think that's the case, I couldn't give a toss what skincolour the actor is but the poster just screams inauthentic low effort nonsense to me.

I'm not an archer, but it looks like the actor is holding the bow in such a way as to appear cool. Id imagine to properly draw the bow would take quite a bit of strength, not just a finger's worth and not placing a finger over the top of the arrow at the "firing end" would lead to a lack of control Id think.

Its not nitpicking its literally what the whole poster is showing. It would be like a poster depicting someone trying to drive a car from the back seat. That not how it works mate.

Id imagine some archery expert will post next and totally say that the guy is holding the bow in a wonderfully precise, accurate manner.

Tolkien’s works are incredibly diverse with elves, dwarves, wizards, orcs, and of course the hilarious roly-poly hobbits. All with distinct indigenous cultures, languages, and even dialects. Tolkien was obsessed with language and language construction.

The LOTR is partly about a merry band of warriors and pipe-smoking alcoholic wastrels (of all different backgrounds and species) banding together to defeat a common enemy. Very woke, this poster would opine. Not only that but the female dwarves have beards. Could Tolkien have been an intersectional trans-ally yassing it up decades before everyone else? 💅🏻

Some people love this idea that Tolkien would have been as much of a bigot as they are, presuming that he’s spinning furiously in his grave at “woke” elves or bisexual orcs sucking each other’s dicks.

It’s an unspeakable insult to the great man, much more than any black elf holding a bow and arrow in a “gangsta” style (someone actually said that, Jesus **** Christ).

Let’s not forget that LOTR is high fantasy fiction anyway, it’s not beholden to represent the actual ethnic population distribution of the medieval era. People just love to make everything about politics.

What’s woke about any of that? Specifically holding a bow and arrow wrong in high fantasy?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

I didn't realise we were allowed to criticise Wokeism? Assumed it'd get you landed in the gulags.

• Advertisement

This whole thread is supposed to be about criticising wokeism but its dominated this afternoon about someone holding a bow and arrow wrong on a poster for a TV show.

Do you think it was racist of Tolkien not to have any dark skinned elves in his makey uppy world?

You seem to think it's racist not to have African elves in his fantasy world, is that the case?

🤣

This is priceless, you’re making an absolute fool out of yourself.

It’s racist to object to casting black actors in Tolkien productions, especially when you hide behind criticising “woke” “gangsta” bow and arrow grips. Cry all you want but it’s true.

So much bluff just because you really don't want to answer that question. Why not just answer the question?

I think all this 40 degree's heat is making everyone a bit tetchy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

black elf holding a bow and arrow in a “gangsta” style (someone actually said that, Jesus **** Christ).

I mean, it is tho, tbf...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Some people are like that every day, just post after post of angry nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

There is nothing woke about the holding of the bow, I was pointing out that criticising the bow position is valid.

What is woke is you suggesting that people are "nitpicking" the bow as a mask for their true motivation, racism. Im telling you that you are wrong. Maybe, there are some people doing that, but there are plenty not, me included.

As for my position on the diversity in the Rings of Power, as long as the show tells a great story and is entertaining I don't care if there are some black dwarves or elves. But from what I can tell from the trailers and general internet scuttlebutt, the show isn't very faithful to the lore, which isn't a good move IMO. And then we see a poster with what appears to be a very incorrect bow position and it just smacks of low effort. So that's another warning sign in my book tbh. My issue btw with the female dwarves is that they are meant to be bearded also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement