Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Look at Saas as a like for like comparison for the same system (kit will differ which is fine). 2 recent posters in the threads in the 'daily output' got Saas (link below amd you'll see their comments but dont ask quote Qs in that thread please). Now they offer 8 panels as minimum ot seems and you can add more. One of them does 370w panels. Saas seems to be good on cost for a smaller size setups. Not something I looked at as didn't know enough of them at the time. But I will deffo look at it for my folks setup.

Getting solar installed took me wayyyyyy more effort than I expected.. But glad it's working for me now. So stick with it.

€1.2k per kwp is sadly likely a rare beast now based on what we see here. Not saying its not possible. We paid €1.6k per kwp in the end on 4 small roofs and I'm happy with that figure. Yours is about €1.8k per kwp when you remove the Eddi supply and fit cost (and I'm guessing that eddi cost).

In this market my personal view was when we ordered was to get as close as we could to that benchmark of 1.2k - with a supplier and design we trusted. Then we pulled the trigger. Gonna give you power for 20+ years. IMO the price of solar installs is only going up (and quickly) for many global reasons. It's demand is thru the roof globally now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

With those sort of prices i am wondering if I will even bother getting quotes for my potential 7 panels which will have to under 1050 width otherwise it will be 6 panels. The pay back period is heading towards the never. However I am starting the process of dealing with a one stop shop, windows doors, the works, so we'll see.

Saas may be an option.

I am starting to lean towards a largish battery for time shifting as a better investment than panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Your previous post about price not being everything raised some excellent points, need an installer who you can trust and will give good advice. Benchmark is useful to know which quotes are bonkers I think. For those quoted and installed in first half of 2022 I think hitting 1.2k was possible. Not so sure it’ll be possible between now and year end based on quotes and lead times I’m seeing, but that’s just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Stupid prices will still be quoted, if stupid people continue signing up at those stupid prices

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Agreed. Benchmark and feedback here help lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

A reminder that the number of panels isn’t overly relevant when you get a quote, it’s the total KW value that matters of all panels combined- worth posting quotes with these (my mental maths are slow).

maybe I am being optimistic but I can’t see current situation of high energy costs in the longer term, and thus ROIs of 10 plus years seem unacceptable to me?

Is an additional consideration with such long ROI periods is that technology will change in that period ?

I have been keen to get a large system but was delayed as the house purchase took far longer than planned, I’m questioning the value at moment, still a few OK quotes but hard to find them now, with most of them are a reflection of short term supply and demand rather than any logical ROI economics?The gap in prices between self install and install suggest something is a miss.

I was looking at 7.5-8 years ROI last year when probability of it being less.

😎

I'm with Electric Ireland currently. I think that they have the highest standing charges, which means that this will add to payback times, whereas a higher unit rate would lower payback.

My recently received bi-monthly bill was €68 but only €8 of this was consumption related

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

Latest quote,

8x 400w panels,solis inverter3600w, dyness battery 2.4kwh x2, all fittings, €11650- 2160 grant, €9490

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

Big differance, from a system without battery, €5400 after grant.

Supplier says its due to different inverter and no grant on batteries.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A few more quotes:

1:

4.56kWp of PV + 2.5kWh battery (I asked for 5kWh but their comms have been brutal

€9400

2:

4.8kWp + 2.5kWh battery (again, I asked for 5kWh but this was the quote I was given) + eddi (I don't have a tank, yet they included it in the quote)

€10900

3:

4kWp + 5kWh battery

€12850

4:

12 panels (didn't get a total kWp from them, my fault) and 5kWh battery

€9600

I've basically ruled out 1, 2 and 3 because their price, and RoI are terrible. 4 is the best i've gotten so far, but far from what I expected to be getting quotes for. RoI isn't great on that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Installation now done (I should have pressed the trigger earlier)

8.1kwp system with 5 kwh pure drive battery, solid inverter and no eddi

East west configuration

Thanks for all the pointers and advice on here

Now I just need to sort my heat pump out and do some other bits to reduce my 23k kwh annual usage 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Now I just need to sort my heat pump out and do some other bits to reduce my 23k kwh annual usage 😅

Wow !! 23K - jasus I thought I was "out there" with 10-12K

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bump.

Also, I’m looking to split the panels between front and back. It’s a SW facing house so back is NE facing. Being told by one company not to put anything on the back. But as far as I can tell I can add 50-60% generation over the year by doing both sides. Surely the extra cost there isn’t prohibitive given they’d already be calling out? Sure it would take longer to pay for itself but that’s fine. It means 70-80% more electricity in the peak summer months.

I've been getting a much better handle on my usage

I do 15 kwh a day when the house is vacant and water and heating off, minimal lights

I assume this mostly stuff on standby, TVs, wifi routers, home automation crap (which was inherited).

When house is occupied and water on, 2 adults and 3 teenagers are us3age is more like 30kwh a day, then in the winter months with heat and more lighting were up at 60khy a day

Heat pump is definitely an offender so still trying to sort (hard to get anyone to look at it though, been trying since march!)

At least I've generated about 25kwh so far, but Ive expired some of that as expected

5:

4kWp €11500 before grant, €9000 after the grant.

He didn't want to talk batteries because between the cost of them, their reliability "they'll only last 7-8 years before they're dead" and the FIT offering up to 17c/kWh (never heard of that) they're not worth it.

Yeah, crunching some numbers it would seem you made a mistake with 23K Khw?

23,000 / 365 = 63 kwh /day.....that's a lot for an average figure for every day of the year.

Doesn't seem like it's possible to me?! Is it?

If there's no one in the house, you should be in about 5-6Kwhr/day, for the fridge/wifi/tv box/alarm/etc. Now that you have telemetry with your solar installation for your usage (house load), I'd spend 20-30 flicking off breakers on your fuse board, noting which circuit drops your usage a lot. Least that way you help isolate where in the house the juice is going.

Could be the best 20 mins you spend :-)

I suggest you get a piece of paper and over 48hrs, write down your meter reading, at intervals like midnight, 8am, noon, 6pm, 9pm

Something sounds wrong. If your heat pump is off for the summer, it means your daily usage is even worse in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

Dump that, not sure were he's going with the batteries will be dead! They will lose some performance but will still be usable long after his timeframe. A PureDrive battery has a warranty of 10,000 cycles and will last a lot longer than 7-8 years.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I've gone wrong alright, however I have definitely used 23k annually based on what I've paid for the last 2.5 years, I am in discussion with EBS because my night meter has not worked and have looked at Bill's and meter readings in detail

The 15kwh tickover rate is aslo correct (10 at day rate and 5 at night rate) 4 tvs, four other home automation boxes, fridge, fridge freezer , a few racks in the comms room, outside lights, 2 cctv systems, multiple other devices on standby, 2 wifi dishes and routers

But I need to revisit the other figures especially winter usage...

Thanks for checking I must be using closer to 100 for 6 months of the year

Could be my heat pump is drawing electricity and I am getting very little benefit from the geothermal bit

Probably a better thread for this one to move to. If you're using 15kwh a day (tickover) when no one is using anything, you've at least 1 (or many) devices chewing power. That's a huge amount. We use 1.5kwh a day when we're on hols (as in not in the gaff). That's fridge, freezer, alarm and a few 5watt lights. So you're 10 times that a day. Am deffo not gloating - giving an example but granted we're a very low usage house (and have gas for cooking still) and no heat pump. Bonkers.ie afaik said average house is something like 4500kwh a year. So you're 5 times over that with 23000kwh per year.

I 2nd what others say. Track the meter usage each day, turn stuff off and see when the dial slows (if it's not a smart meter). Then you can find what's causing it. You could even turn of the trip switches to check you've everything. Might be something plugged in that's gone screwy and in the shed, the attic, somewhere no one ever checks... Are any of kids cryptomining (or could have a PC with a virus / malware that is cryptomining and you don't know), running a portable a/c or heater unexpectedly, or immersion stuck on.....

Get some device that let's you track the watts a device with a plug uses. Some let you put in the cost of 1kwh to see the running cost per day, month, year.. That will help find culprits with a plug which is the vast majority of stuff in the gaff (as in not heat pump or immersion...). Being a bit simplistic anything that is heating or cooling stuff chews power (dishwasher, washing machine, heat pump, immersion, showers, kettles, tumble dryer..). Anything that feels hot to the touch is sucking a lot of juice somehow.

Deffo turn off the heat pump when tracking the usage on the meter and check the numbers on that. But that ain't you're only hog most likely.

Could someone be nicking your power somehow?

Or maybe your meter is screwy and counting wrong - just making a suggestion but worth asking if can't find the offender. I won't pretend to know how that could happen in reality.

Now you have solar panel, if you hack the backside out of your usage, your ROI will rocket up and pay for itself much more quickly. So behaviour change to use less power + free solar juice = lovely electricity bills!! I know this sounds a bit naff but could treat it like a game so you win and use less and the power company loses. Enjoy the hunt and the good news is you now know you're usage is unexpectedly high so can do something about it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed response, I need to get a lot more precise about my usage, the lads fitting the solar mentioned the inverter was showing some big spikes in power usage, could be something is just gone funny and is drawing big power

I need to improve my monitoring closely to get to the bottom of my usage one way or the other

You could also have been mis-sold a Heat Pump. Realistically, they should only be installed in airtight houses, because they could otherwise be running 24x7

Do you know how much solar is used each day, if you still consume 10 each day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Couple more quotes:

1) 4.1 kW PV System, Solaredge Inverter with 10 optimizers (E/W split) - €7500 after grant

2) 3.8 kW PV System, Solis Inverter (E/W split with flat roof add on) - €7360 after grant

3) 4.6 kW PV System, Inverter - approx €9000 after grant or 3.8kW PV System - €7300 after grant

All coming in similar enough

Post edited by zefer on

Since your a relatively small'ish installation, you should look at "Solar as a Service" (SAS or Saas if you prefer). Do a search for it, or refer to the installation spreadsheet (link in the FAQ)

That said, with respect to the quotes I'm wondering why 1) has 10 optimizers and then 2) and 3) has no reference to optimizers. You will either need them or you don't. So, the fact that you are being quoted for some installations and others without them makes me wonder about the level of investigation that the installers are doing there. Optimizers are only needed if you have shading on (some) of the panels - something like a chimney etc.

Because you have 1 panel shaded (even 25%) will drag all the panels down to that panel's production, so you install optimizers on the panels that are shaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

it is included on them all (I was copying and pasting directly and its specified on other lines in other quotes)

Looked at SAAS, that company were extremely unprofessional to deal with, so they are out

@zefer maybe the flat roof is driving the optimisers. No. 2 says 'with flat roof add on'. We've optimisers on the east flat roof but not the main/ 2nd story east roof. Needed on our flat roof as we lose sun on that earlier than main roof above it when the sun catches the side of the house.

Pic added is our flat roof pre solar. So optimisers on flat roof mean it won't drag down the main roof above it facing the same direction (which remains in the sun for longer).

And you'll see the shadow of a pipe from the main roof - which would also need an optimiser on the main roof for the panels it hits. We cut the pipe to gutter height instead of needing optimisers - worked for us and was easy to do. But if the pipe was still there we'd need optimisers on panels on the main roof that the sun hit as it moved across the sky and roof. Same for chimneys.

As @bullit_dodger says find out why you need them first and then get each to quote for the same.

Flat roof saved us as got 5 panels on it and main roof can only take 8 in total. We'd have a tiny system without the flat roof. So you can decide to max out the flat roof if you want to fill the roof space. Others here suggest to use all the space you can and we did thay too.

So get more info like what wattage panels are each supplying. What roofs are they putting panels on. What's the max panels they could fit versus what they quoted for (means you know of you could get larger now or in time). Why / where optimisers are needed. Are each company giving different designs? Looks like it as sizes are different (unless output from panels is different for each).

Have they been onsite to quote or at least you sent them the roof pics on Google Maps showing them the roof compass direction? I did that and wrote in the orientation of each roof so they knew when I asked for a quote. You deffo want the top 1 or 2 you expect you'll go with to call to you to quote (not just the sales person. Someone who will measure the roof, get into the attic..). Or on install day you could have unexpected 'surprises'. No need to respond to these Qs. They are more to check the level of detail the installers have and have taken into consideration for the design.

For anyone new to solar (as I was and am), learn about your roof yourself and check and take pics of what way the shadows hit it. Helps you assess and challenge quotes and their assumptions and designs. OK its high summer so sun is higher in the sky so thay will change over the course of the year - but will still give an indication. Do that during different times of the day. Then you can challenge some designs based on what you know. So would pure south facing work for you. Are you east / west... Ignoring a battery for simplicity, West will give power later in the day (good if people are out working and for peak power usage in the evening). East will give power earlier in morning than South.

Bear in mind others here have better design understanding than me. But I added some probing Qs here.

Then when you have all that with a design that works and price that's good (or at least reasonable) pull the trigger and order. And compare the Saas offering too once you have the info above.

i wasn’t miss sold the heat pump but maybe the previous owner was, not sure how airtight the house is; definitely no airtight membranes. Internal plastering for airtightness and too many holes in the insulation because of the 100 odd downlighters ,

solar only installed since yesterday morning so a bit too early to do the analysis

I seem to have regular enough 6kwp power surges based on the solis app though🤔

apart from the surges, there seems to be a constant drain on power though which I put down to all the electrical crap in the house

Most automation is of the order of watts (singular), to rock up the kind of usage you are seeing, you'd want to be using the heat pump (a lot) or some thing else massive.

Fortunately, with the telemetry you have from the solar installation now you have some good tools to track it down easy enough. You mentioned that you have 100 odd downlighters. Well, if they are the old halogen and are running at 50 watts a piece, it wouldn't take too many of them to be dropping a 1Kw in drainage, those lights are a curse (power wise)

6Kw surges could be the heat pump, but why do you have the heat pump on in July would be odd no? Esp where we've nearly broken the all time temperature record for Ireland. I'd say a Trition shower unit is the likely culprit there with only 1 bar activated on the unit.

Have fun chasing..... :)

Another 2.

4.1kWp (12 JA 345w panels) and 5.1kWh dyness battery. €8900

4.7kWp (12 recom 390w panels) and 5.1kWh dyness battery. €9300

Quote 7 looks best for the throughout of the panels Vs quote 6. Quote 4 needs more information (panel output, type, Ber included? Battery type)

If I'm splitting between roofs, do I need optimisers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

You shouldn't need optimizers if it only over two roofs.

If you have any shading then optimizers will be helpful. Quote 7 looks good, try some haggling to bring it under 9k. No harm in trying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement