Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starling Bank

• 04-04-2022 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

I saw last week that Starling are recruiting for a marketing person here. They’ve already had a head of country for a number of years, not sure how many other staff they have here.

I think they were supposed to launch a couple no of years ago but for some reason didn’t (pandemic with contactless payments would have been the ideal time IMO).

wonder how long it’ll be before they do launch and I N26 launching their spaces with IBANS is anything to do with an impending launch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

They have loads of open jobs in Dublin at the moment, I guess they finally managed to get a meeting with the central bank to discuss their plans.

As to how long, well looking at the competence that the Central Bank is displaying these days nobody knows, maybe in a year or two?

It would be nice to have another bank but I'm not getting my hopes up that anybody ever will make a dent into the monopoly of government created trio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I looked at their Uk site. Looks like the max cash you can lodge through the post office is £1000 before fees. Seems all online. Contact by email. It says branchless and cashless business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭FaganJr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Virtual accounts attached to your main one. You can generate IBANS for them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Seems Starling have reversed their plan to set up a base and offer services here :(

Wonder what the reason is. It's head who used to work at AIB already knew the basket case of a reta banking industry we have here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0718/1310900-starling-bank-pulls-plans-to-offer-services-in-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Balls on that. Was looking forward to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Another loss making bank, no point in increasing your losses any further.

Says they've been profitable every quarter since October 2020?

I read ya woman's book about starting up Starling Bank - is actually an interesting read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Probably realised they won't catch revolut now in Ireland so why bother.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes as of the figures today. But if you look at the figures it's a pittance compared to what we used to expect from banks with those kind of asset levels. In the old days you'd be expecting to hear of a figure somewhere around 300m on those assets. Going on their current figures they'd need to get something like 700m on deposit plus say around 200m in mortgages in Ireland in their first year to generate around a million in profits, if even that. That is a very risky project in the current economic climate.

• Advertisement

True but it's still a profitable bank, whichever way you look at it.

Advertisement