Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭jimmythesulk

None really top top players. At that age Noel McGrath, Paudie Maher, Bubbles, etc were top top players. None of these are in the same bracket. All good enough maybe to play intercounty but not necessarily good enough to win All Ireland's at senior level. Will any of these become a Hegarty, Lynch, Kelly, Canning, Gleeson, Reid, Hogan or Chin. I doubt it and without a couple of top top players Tipp are going to struggle to get out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Chin? Gleeson?

dont fall for the media spin, they are not even the best players on their county teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah now is the time. Another stinker of a season and Tipperary will be miles behind. You can definitely focus on conditioning but alot of the Tipp players are naturally light boned and average height. You need a frame to put the muscle on. Like for me Jake Morris isn't strong enough yet. What has he been doing in the gym.. Hes not the only one. Kilkenny have come on leaps and bounds in conditioning. Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen are in great shape. How Lawlor is a natural athlete without being a powerhouse. TJ is in amazing shape. The question lots of teams are left with are 'yes' we can condition guys but we aren't going to make a Kyle Hayes and Hegarty.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Far superior to any of the names mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

chin and gleeson are good players, nothing more. Easy find players of their Quality all across this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

I know one chap on the panel for a couple of years, only got a look in for challenges etc. He says until your hitting specific targets in the S&C you won't be considered.

One question that only time will answer, Cahill's underage teams had a savage work rate, really stood out, will they come through in senior where that probably won't be an advantage, probably be the standard across all teams.

One other thing, I'll be glad to see Tommy Dunne gone, I felt our skills have declined in recent years, slow passing, passes too high or bouncing in front of players. Really felt we were stagnating that way.

In Sunday's All Ireland there was amazing fielding and some of the passing was so snappy and sharp.

Tommy Dunne has been coaching with Tipp since 2010 - from senior to under 21 to minor. And you're blaming him for our decline in passing skills the last few years? What?

It's another Toome man you're getting. Who couldn't speak highly enough of Tommy.

Well, yeah, workrate is your starting point and not an end point.

I really hope Cahill doesn't try to copy or solely counter what the Limerick game plan is. A lot of counties are doing that. And trying to match their players with size. You'll never beat them at their own game.

He has to come up with something different. Something they haven't seen before. There's no way Tipp would have beaten KK in 2010 by trying to copy them. You've got to come up with something different. I think he'll do that. But he must have a few ways of playing.

• Advertisement

"I want to be very clear that I received a phone call a short time after Colm Bonnar's exit from the Tipperary job. For me, second time around, it was very simple. The answer was yes and it went from there.

"I can relate to why there would be anger out there. Colm Bonnar took on this job at a really difficult time. There was a lot of injuries and retirements and he was the man who put his hand up last year to take it on.

"I can understand people would be angry that he wasn't given more time. I for one don't know what conversations Colm Bonnar had with the Tipperary County Board.

"Unfortunately inter-county hurling is a results-driven business and results last year in the Munster Championship might not have helped Colm's cause. What can I say, only that I wish Colm Bonnar all the best for the future."

"The Tipperary senior manager's job is one of the biggest in hurling and in amateur sport in Ireland. It's a big, big job and it brings its own pressures and responsibilities and I'm well aware of that.

"Who is to know if results don't go my way, similar conversations may have to be had down the road if that is the case?

"I'm well aware of that but I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

"I'm aware of (the pressure and expectation). When you live in Tipperary, you know the ultimate goal is deliver silverware on a consistent basis.

"I'm well aware of the challenge that lies ahead. I believe the players are in Tipperary. I believe they fit the age profile required to go to the levels needed to be really competitive and try to win an All-Ireland. That is my job and it's a job I'm really looking forward to."

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

I know how long Tommy Dunne has been coaching Tipperary, and i know what could be seen on the field in the last few years. I believe that we stagnated in the skills department. I certainly don't believe that we progressed in the last few years skills wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Unfortunately inter-county hurling is a results-driven business and results last year in the Munster Championship might not have helped Colm's cause. 

That's a bit ironic coming from Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Right now to use that overworn saying " we are where we are" I know one thing for certain unless we get off our arses and attend the games and give our support we are at nothing. As things stand we might as well be playing our home games on top of keeper Hill for all the good it does our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

he seems to know his stuff alright, would be a big step up to inter county though, but could be good fit for Leix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Cahill has made a bad situation worse with that statement. Shur Waterford didn't puck a ball in the Championship and he's telling Colm Bonnar that it's a results driven business. Who checked that statement before it was released..

Cahill is an excellent coach but there's questions around his man management in Waterford and he does put his foot in it at times. I'm sure he'll do well but it's gonna take way longer than people may think. I dont see them getting out of Munster next year.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Nipped in the bud. Good move by Cahill. Everyone can move on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Looking in from the outside and being brutally honest i think ye have a better manager now but that statement from county board was shockingly ill judged in terms of wording. Cahill did a great job overall in Waterford bar the last month or so which is the only big question mark i can see against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not being smart here, but chances are you wouldn't have correctly named, back in April, the three who'd get out of Munster this year. It's a bit early for declarations.

As for "it's a results driven business"..........why is that a problem? If Waterford and Tipperary had met in the All-Ireland final would either be now looking at a new manager? You are seeking offence where there is none.

That sounds like something that would come from a HR department!

They can't actually "move on now " because big divisions have been created in the county by the disgraceful treatment of colm bonner, the appointment of a manager who previously turned down the Tipperary job ,and who effectively had a worse championship campaign by falling to qualify the team that all the pundits regarded as the second best team in the country.

The county board statement was stupid. There will have to be reparations made and a grovelling apology from the board. But they better take the time to get their next move right.

You're a gas man. Cashel are playing Clonakenny this weekend. Get out there and enjoy yourself

What did Shane Brophy do now? He has his Twitter account locked again.

The Tipp County Board might encourage Cahill to be saying a bit less going forward. He really likes to hear himself.

Hope he's gone to brush up on his "your and you're and been an being etc" . I mean if he even got someone to read over his articles first it might help make them a little interesting.

Tommy Dunne being heavily linked to Laois now.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

How does a role like this work?

New Tipperary CEO/Head of Operations - https://tipperary.gaa.ie/37491-2/

Is a role like that actually going out to tender and could an outsider (not county board type) get the role?

• Advertisement

I'm very happy that Liam and Mikey have been reading my posts about Laffan 🤣🤣

Seriously, though - good appointments:

Following his appointment as Tipperary senior hurling manager earlier this week, Liam Cahill has now finalised his management team.

Having already named Michael Bevans as coach, Liam Cahill has added a further 3 selectors who will all add a vast amount of experience and knowledge to the management team.

Thurles Sarsfield’s Padraic Maher who was an outstanding servant to Tipperary hurling as a player, making a total of 30 championship appearances in the blue and gold, winning 3 All Ireland senior hurling titles and 6 All Star awards as well as a total of 7 county senior hurling titles for his club Thurles Sarsfields where he is currently a member of the senior hurling management team. Padraic retired from playing for both club and county earlier this year on medical advice.

Loughmore-Castleiney’s Declan Laffan has proven himself to be a top class manager and coach at club level and has guided his native parish to numerous county titles at various levels. In 2013 he was at the helm when the Mid Tipperary club claimed an historic double, winning the Tipperary senior hurling and football championships becoming the first ever Tipperary club to do so. Declan is currently the manager of Laois side Clough Ballacolla, who he has guided to county senior hurling success in 2020 and 2021.

Clonoulty Rossmore’s TJ Ryan has previously worked as a selector with Liam Cahill at minor, under 20 and under 21 level and was an integral part of a management team that was responsible for guiding Tipperary to several Munster and All Ireland titles in those grades. TJ will bring a vast amount of experience and knowhow to the Tipperary senior hurling set up. TJ has previously managed Clonoulty Rossmore’s senior hurling team and was the man in charge when they reached county finals in 2010 and 2011.

The Tipperary senior hurling management team appointments will now go to the next county committee meeting for final ratification.

Advertisement