Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed legalization in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,398 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’ve driven under the influence of cannabis and don’t recommend. Your sense of timing is thrown off, your reaction times are slower, you anticipate things way too early etc too. You’ll hit the turn single half a mile up the road because you are out of sync with your speed and everything else. It’s tempting to relax yourself or whatever on a road trip but for the same reason you shouldn’t be operating heavy machinery. “Safer” than alcohol: with the caveat that this comparison alone might lead to dumb actions I don’t endorse, it is “safer” than driving under the influence of alcohol IMHO but obviously both activities are considerably unsafe.

Your body keeps metabolizing it for weeks in low levels. There’s some science to it - if alcohol worked the same way technically you’d be mildly inebriated for a few weeks. As a practical matter though yeah, the impairing effects of cannabis majorly vanish within hours.

I see this topic brought up on /r/Ireland basically everyday. I'm sick of seeing it. The last thing this country needs is MORE dead heads. The lengths some people will go to claiming that it's harmless is insane.

Sidenote, the smell of the stuff is God awful. Someone was smoking it outside Busáras last Saturday as I was getting off the bus. Felt like puking.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I think it's important to remember there is a difference between street cannabis and professionally grown cannabis. These studies are based on individuals who smoke street cannabis of which the quality/contaminates are unknown. Especially since street dealers priority is monetary not quality. Hard to know if people these days are even smoking real weed or if it's just weed sprayed with various chemicals to make it tick the boxes.

One of the main issues I see with cannabis is that you build up a tolerance quite quickly to the stuff, having to smoke more and more to achieve the same effects. If people here learned to knock it on the head, every so often and let their tolerance go back to normal, I think we would have a much more healthy usage in ireland.

For the regular Joe there is simply no need to be smoking vast quantities of powerful cannabis , this kind of product should only be used by people who need serious pain relief etc. If you have to smoke this kind of stuff to get high, it's just a sign that you've indulged too much and you need a break from it.

I see this topic brought up on /r/Ireland basically everyday. I'm sick of seeing it. The last thing this country needs is MORE dead heads. The lengths some people will go to claiming that it's harmless is insane.

I've seen very few posters claim that it's harmless. Anyone who uses cannabis/weed is fully aware of the downsides involved.. and are also aware that it's not harmless. However, it's nowhere as bad as posters like yourself like to claim it to be. No reason for smokers to become "dead heads" if they manage their habit, and continue to engage in their daily activities. The dead heads is just more of the stereotype related to stoner students with too much time on their hands. I know long-term stoners who have started, managed and continue to run very successful (legal) businesses... all the while, they've remained regular smokers of weed. Same again with professionals in Accounting, Law, etc who have such a long-term weed habit, and manage successful professional careers. It all comes down to the manner of your chosen lifestyle. If you're a bum, then weed will encourage you to remain a bum. But then, so too will many other activities.

As for the smell, I feel the same about many of the herbal body washes/perfumes/etc that people wear daily. Not enjoyable but easily ignored for the most part, and the smell of weed is far less common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If adults want to smoke weed then all power to them fire ahead but we need to stop the absolute horse shite narrative that weed is not that bad for you,

It absolute destroys people minds , we all know people who are in a bad way because of smoking to much weed over the years,

Yes I'm well aware that alcohol is bad for you but i'd prefer if people be honest and acknowledge weed is awful for your head ,

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Yeah I've heard that Drager test can detect cannabis in saliva for up to a month after smoking it! Obviously depends on how frequently you smoke it, but sounds a bit unfair to me.

I've had at home tests positive well after 6 weeks. It can depend on a lot of things, like your body fat and metabolism.

NYC Mayor was complaining about the new stink around town (it's not hot dogs or pizza pies but I bet sales are up for both)

Thats crazy! Like surely people are being caught left right and centre for it in that case, given how many people smoke it?!

What sort of home tests can be got and are they reliable?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The Drager test is supposed to only detect up to 6 hours. Some day I'll find out I'm sure. Not looking forward to it. The blood/urine test though, up to 3 months. If you've to give one of them, you're screwed. Using my years of being a Garda to come up with some legal battle. Think I have something, but I don't ever want to find out. I don't smoke and drive, but the uncertainty of the time limits is worrying.

Re: driving while under the influence of cannabis vs alcohol. I don't drink anymore, but I did quite a bit up to 6 years ago. Borderline alcoholic near the end, bottle of rum a night. Anyway, I did drink drive quite a few times. Where I live, it's nearly taken for granted, and most see it as harmless to have a couple after work and drive the short distance home. Looking back, I was very lucky to not have crashed or worse. Completely distracted, blurry vision, swaying head, heavy arms and legs, all on top of a strong can-do attitude. I don't consider it even remotely safe. Cannabis, I have driven a few times while stoned. Now, people hear stoned and think of the couch puppy zoned out of it. That's not always the case. The few times I have driven stoned, reflecting on it, I believe it's far safer than drink driving. Not that it's safe at all, but imo, for me, safer. I drove slower, but not slow. I felt more aware because I was aware of being under the influence. It didn't give me the confidence alcohol did. I even turned off distractions, like the radio. I don't believe my reactions were affected, but thankfully it was never tested. But it's still not safe. I don't recommend it and haven't done it for years, and with the above-mentioned tests I'm even less likely to ever chance it again.

It should be legalised at this stage. I started smoking proper about 5 years ago. Bad place after bad life decisions, not many choices and stuck in a situation that won't improve for the foreseeable. Cannabis has helped me through that, and made me re-evaluate my priorities. To me, cannabis now is no different to people who need coffee. I don't smoke until I'm done for the day, but as I work nights that's usually around 11pm and I'm awake until 8, so I am a heavy user as a result. Literally nothing to do in the country and night time, so luckily my pastime is gaming and suits my current life. I'm very accustomed to cannabis now, so much that I no longer get "stoned". It's been years since I was near whitey territory, and the last time I was there I was able to ride the wave (and it was amazing as a result!). If it was legalised, I would save thousands a year and be able to control my own product, as with the likes of the Spider Farmer products, growing is extremely simple. The yield of 2-4 plants would keep me going for a few months and save me a lot of money, which I would then spend back in the economy, buying stuff to make night time entertaining!

But, that's me. I'm very different to most people now. It doesn't interfere with my life or anyone elses. I want it legalised so I can have proper choice, a quality guarantee and maybe, finally, giving up smoking for good (I only smoke tobacco in my spliffs now, and my lungs are very happy about it). And my time as a Garda, nearly 10 years, I never, NEVER arrested someone who was just stoned. I reckon 80% plus of people I arrested had alcohol taken. Cannabis users, on the whole, don't cause trouble. I don't include those who smoke a joint but also drank or took other drugs. Straight up cannabis users don't do crime (outside of buying/growing something that's illegal). Would be no harm to further reduce the number of people drinking by giving them a choice.

But, that's me. I'm very different to most people now. It doesn't interfere with my life or anyone elses. I want it legalised so I can have proper choice, a quality guarantee and maybe, finally, giving up smoking for good (I only smoke tobacco in my spliffs now, and my lungs are very happy about it).

When it comes to smokers of weed past the 30 year mark, I'd say you're pretty normal. It reflects most "stoners" I know. We all want what you said.. the problem is that the common stereotype for non-smokers is the lazy/stupid student wasting his time getting stoned, and that is projected on to everyone else who does weed.

I'd love a reliable source of quality product because I could manage my "habit" better. Although, I don't really smoke for the normal reasons, but because it helps considerably with my shaking disorder. Having access to plants of my own would allow me to use alternatives to smoking too.. specific to my own body chemistry.. but.. as things stand, that's next to impossible while living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭al87987

Agree with all of this:

• Weed is my biggest expense, on a par with rent, would love to be able to grow some or even just buy regulated stuff for cheaper.
    • Same driving experience; heightened awareness of everything, driving much slower than usual, wouldn't make a habit of it but cannot be considered close to drink driving.
    • I'm a qualified accountant that smokes everyday, "dead heads" and the likes are just lazy stereotypes around weed from ignorant people with little insight.
    • I also only smoke tobacco because of weed and would love to give it up if weed was cheap enough to smoke blunts.

Good to hear your experience as a Garda, I wonder what the overall force would think about legalisation/decriminlisation, they must waste a lot of time on weed.

AGS is full of humans, so also has its share of old-fashioned thinking. The younger generation have a similar opinion to us, but I did have a Sergeant, who was in the drugs unit, tell me that cannabis is worse than heroin... So yeah, varied.

Might have calmed him down a bit!

Interesting stories in this thread so far and especially on this page.

I like the idea of legalising so that people have informed choice of what they’re putting into their system - it can’t be good to be dependent on an illegal trade - especially as the strength and type of cannabis is unregulated.

I don’t like the idea of getting stoned and driving- not sure how Canada and other countries address that- is there a tolerance built into the roadside test?

Cannabis is not for everyone and I do believe long term use can have negative affects on mental health for some people-but I think there are also a lot of benefits for those who can tolerate it.

We tend to be 10 years behind countries like the US etc so I wouldn’t see a relaxation on current laws until maybe 2030 or so

The roadside test is a field sobriety test and the training for cops on that is... nebulous. It's basically a 'you'll go to jail if I feel like it' situation. It is open to abuse.

Was just talking with my college buddy, among other things he told me about driving through a DUI checkpoint in a hot boxed car. His eyes were pink, the car stank, smoke practically poured out the window, and because he was curly blonde with blue eyes and white and had a military ID they waved this (extremely inebriated) driver on through. He said he was astonished and relieved at the time, but then later pretty angry when he realized how he got away with it.

I don't think anyone wants to see stoned driving, but it will be more prevalent if it's legalised. Humans do stupid things. I did in a past part of my life, there are people who are probably having similar or relatable experiences with it right now and will (hopefully) have my view when they're my age. But just like drink driving is still a thing, it will never be completely eradicated. I'd also imagine those that do drive stoned are currently doing it anyway, regardless of legality. And even if legalised, the penalties won't be changed.

And I couldn't pass a field sobriety test that relied on me doing stupid things like walking toe to toe without falling over, my balance sometimes doesn't be the best since I got vertigo a good few years ago, and concentrating makes it worse!

• Advertisement

I know from being that person that especially younger drivers/users would argue, they're high-functioning (excuse the pun) and are safe to operate. The problem is while that might be true for them, and even 90% of them, that leaves the remainder however large the remainder is (it could be the majority in fact) who are dangerously impaired by it, and might overestimate their abilities especially in a crisis or in causing a crisis through poor/slow decision making. Good luck telling someone that who doesn't insist on getting the first hand lesson in it.

We do learn lessons from our mistakes, but that's not one hopes to learn a lesson from!

Anyway, if it is legalised, I can't see myself driving further than the local shop as I'll have everything I need at home!

Yeah I agree with this. Back in my younger days I have driven stoned, not something I'd ever do now though, and I'd be very much against driving under the influence. What concerns me is the zero tolerance for cannabis. So you might not have smoked in a month, you're pulled over, and it's still detected in your saliva. You're put off the road, in some cases you might lose your job as a result. Yet you can get drunk to oblivion and within 24 hours, you're certainly 100% fine to drive. Like there's no telling me, especially 24 hours after smoking that you're not ok to drive. There's people that rely on their cars to get around for work, and especially living in more rural parts of the country.

The whole thing just seems like a complete farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just out of curiosity, how much is it to buy grass in Dublin?

Last time I bought it would have about 30 years ago in London. You could get a 10 spot of hashish, enough for about 10 joints, for £10. (Beware of the liquorice scammers!)

A bag of grass that would last you a month, think it was an ounce (or was it a quarter?), was £100.

I remember the price never changed in the 15/20 years I was buying it. Inflation only affects legal goods seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

A gram of weed is on average around the 15€ mark. If you buy more you can get it cheaper and an ounce(28g) can range from 250€ to 400€ in my experience. A 50€ bag will be anywhere from 2.5g to 3.5g in weight.

There is weed described as being "cali weed" that is considered by some better quality and this often sells for about 100€ for 3.5g usually sold in fake packaging to mimic American dispensary sold cannabis.

Hash is not is as common anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for that. So if it was a quarter ounce I was buying for £100 then the price hasn’t really changed in over 30 years so the drug cartels, to beat inflation, have to sell more of it, or kill the opposition to take over their trade.

Once you legalise it, then you’ll probably see Pascal increasing the tax on it every year. You’ll have an army of pen pushers, all looking to tick boxes at every opportunity to Justify their existence, that will affect the price also. The cost of Medical cannabis in Ireland, imported from wherever, is €5000 per month I believe. 99% of that price will be down to pen pushers and tax.

So maybe legalisation isn’t the answer.

Decriminalisation however, means ordinary joe soap, in Ireland, can then grow their own supply for a maximum of about €30 per ounce, without the fear of prosecution.

I know which one I’d prefer. 😋

Decriminalised doesn't mean you can grow it. It would still be illegal, but would no longer be a criminal offence, would be more like a fine or potentially the requirement to attend drug therapy or some other bullcrap. It wouldn't have to be declared for travel or employment purposes if you were caught, unlike now. But you still can't grow it. Legalisation is the only way to allow that.

There are plenty other countries out there who have already done it, and just having a look will show what the price needs to be. Yes, it's Ireland so it'll probably be taxed to the hilt, but prices will come down once the market is saturated, which happens everywhere by the looks of it. And once Irish grown weed becomes a thing, it should be cheaper again. But you'll still be able to grow your own at home. And the illegal trade will continue if the price is too high, so that should have an affect on pricing too.

I would still pay €100 for a Q if it was legal, and I knew the quality was good. But I'd grow my own mainly, because it would be dirt cheap, and buying it would be like splashing out.

Let my people grow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd be quite concerned about this because I know that psychedelic drugs are even more dangerous than alcohol.

I don't mean more harmful to the consumer, I mean more harmful to everyone else.

If legal sale of weed comes to be I would't agree with it unless it's use is highly regulated. I.e. it would still be illegal to use it in certain circumstance, places, situations. More highly regulated that alcohol.

• Advertisement

I don't mean more harmful to the consumer, I mean more harmful to everyone else.

How? In what way? cause that's a rather vague statement to make.

I've never met a violent person who was stoned (without being drunk at the same time). Never seen anyone's paranoia manifest in violence. So.. I'm wondering how weed is dangerous to others.

Tax only really applies for the purchasing and sale of products, so if you're growing entirely for your own consumption, you wouldn't have to be concerned with the cost hikes. Which is why it's worked so well in other countries who have legalised it. Those who want to grow for sale pay the excessive taxes, and those who want to grow for personal usage, are limited in what they can grow, but their costs drop dramatically (compared to when it was illegal).

Legalising weed makes sense. The wide range of positives far outweight the few negatives.

Advertisement