Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

There's an additional level for both Justice and DFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

Any movement yet on this panel??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ahell

I'm aware of 2 people who have been contacted about interest in PO roles so it's definitely moving.

I just got my mail from clearance. If you know of two people in this competition who were contacted about roles before today- then PAS are not following the order of merit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 May Day

Is not following the oom down to candidates asking for a recommendation or is that a stupid question? Also can an organisation ask for or refuse someone based on business need? Anyone needing a techie person will NOT want me

Good to hear it has started moving. @myk if you aren't a current civil servant, maybe it is a slightly longer route for your offer if you gave to go through clearance. Maybe the two who have already been offered were existing CSs or indeed they might have been offered roles within their own Departments. Did you hear which Dept you are being offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 softskills

Congratulations. I hope you are being offering an interesting department that you will enjoy. Thank you for the update.

I’m not a current civil servant and I appreciate clearance is required which would delay recruitment of external candidates .

But if PAS are approaching current civil servants before they even ask for clearance for external members higher up the panel then they are not following the order of merit.

I haven't been offered a role, or been advised of a department yet. I assume that will only come when my clearance is complete.

Post edited by myk on

Thanks. I’ll see how long my clearance takes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 dotski_w_

Its quite possible for them to be following the correct order if they've approached 2 people. For a start, unless you're 2nd (and not joint 2nd) they could both be ahead of you (I know person who came first is existing civil servant).

Secondly, if there are e.g. 4 requests in from Govt departments and number 2 is a non civil servant, they may set in motion the top 4 being appointed. The fact that it may take a bit longer to do the admin for number 2 isn't them being skipped, they will get the job (assuming they pass clearance, and also assuming they take it, experience is that some from outside CS don't). If you think about it, it'd be inefficient to hold up the 3rd and 4th appointments pending clearance of number 2.

I'd relax, if you're in the top 2 or so you'll be appointed very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

In fairness as well I think PAS and the client Departments seem to be making more of an effort to try and find a suitable role for the candidate rather than fastidiously following the order of merit and potentially offering someone a job that really doesn't suit them.

Also, I think PAS take groups of people together. So for example they might have started working in the first 5 on the panel at the same timr and have identified 5 posts for them. And then, those in the first 5 who's own Dept has tagged them will get the offer first as this is less admin for PAS etc. As an external person there is much more admin but I'd imagine the post is waiting for you. Hopefully this all moves smoothly for you and you get your proper offer very soon. I wonder if the next 5 will start being processed this week. Fingers crossed.

Oh just looked back here and see I inadvertantly started a conspiracy theory 🤣 I had just heard on the grapevine of 2 people that were contacted. No idea what stage of the process etc..and also no idea if it's mindless gossip.. my intention was only to let people know there is movement. I'm sure PAS are operating the oom as they should do and we will all get offers in due course.. Good luck with the assignment process to all those waiting.

FYI I have been advised that anyone who is on the panel now will be invited to participate in the next PO Higher competition which is due to run before the end of year (as indicated in the briefing material for this competition). However, my own expectation is that a lot of serving and very experienced POs will apply and therefore be very stiff competition for anyone on this panel that opts to particiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dryden2016

I've seen references to being "tagged" on the 2019 thread also. Can anyone shed more light on this? Does it mean you're effectively stuck with your home department if they decide to tag you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDoRonRonRon

Yes, if tagged by your home Department you wont be offered positions elsewhere. Generally, you would be consulted before you are tagged. If you definitely don't want to be tagged you could always take the initiative and let HR know that that is your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Kirbi

You can also be tagged by a different department (other than your current one). Usually there's existing relationships in place to facilitate this though.

In general, tagging happens when both parties want it to i.e. the promotee wants to work there; and the department wants to have them, and also has a vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dotski_w_

On that, grapevine told me someone in one department has been offered a post in another one, this surprised me as I would have thought her dept would have liked to keep her.

Does that mean she's definitely going to the new dept, or can they have it changed in agreement with their HR?

Maybe there are no vacancies in her own Dept at this moment. Or maybe she didn't want to stay there? I would be interested too in whether you can be offered a Dept and then ask your own HR to keep you?

• Advertisement

Again I didn't check into this much but I was told that "tagging" only means that when PAS come to your oom they will give your department the heads up that you are next for an offer. If the department don't have a vacancy then you are offered another department. Now I never checked this with PAS.. I was just offered this information by someone who knew I was on the panel. Does anyone actually know the details on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

A Department will normally have to juggle the numbers that are hired at a particular grade, in terms of recruiting from a PAS panel and from any internal competitions they might hold. So it is in their interest to know in advance of OOM being reached.

Say, for example, a Department had an internal competition in 2021 and identified 4 good candidates. These were placed on a short list for next two years. One was promoted immediately. However, the Department has a "external debt" and already should fill the next two vacancies from PAS list. So they will be reluctant to use anymore from the internal panel, even though they have one vacancy already.

Then there is a PAS competition in 2022 and one of the internal candidates has a stormer and is in the top 10 nationally. If the Department has heads up that she is likely to be reached in OOM quite quickly, they can immediately decide to tag. This reduces their recruitment debt and also increases the chances of the remaining candidates on the internal list of getting a chance of promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Or maybe they didn't want her at the PO level.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hughsie88

Hi All, just wondering if clearance for others is taking forever (and a day!)? All my Garda vetting etc has come through and it has 8 weeks since PAS got a reference from my current employer. I’ve heard nothing since-makes me worry a job is not up for grabs..

8 weeks? Are you on the 2019 panel or the 2022 panel?

I'm on the 2022 panel

How come you gave PAS your references 8 weeks ago when results only came out a month ago?

@myk I am actually on another competition, sorry should have been clearer. Just trying to determine if the process is slower for others too due to the Summer months

Wonder if numbers 6 to 10 will get offers this week??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Witco

I'm #10 on the order of merit and haven't heard anything yet. I think it's unlikely we will see any movement until after the summer break.

Advertisement