Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

It's inevitable now, the vast majority of people will remain in denial up to the very end.

They are not going to change their greedy lifestyles and over breeding habits, but will carry on as is until the world becomes an oven...I feel no pity for them but I do feel pity for all the other species who done nothing to deserve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I suggest you head off to India, China or Africa. Talk to the General population They only stuff they will know about climate change is looking for money for them. China not so much prob never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

I believe that this is happening far more quickly than the boffins thought it was going to.

It was always 50-100 years that we had to worry about. Now it all seems to be accelerating, with various positive feedback loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I have paid my carbon taxes and done all the green stuff we are being lectured with everyday and yet what do I get in return?

Other countries laughing at us while they open new power plants all the while our gas and electricity bills go through the roof because we shut down turf plants while banning turf and then allowing importation of turf from other countries.

The stupidity is mind boggling.

You lads need to come back down from whatever planet you are on.

Not had a holiday in 25 years But apparently Mr Ryan can fly Business class. Barely use public transport everything is in walking distance. Try to be as green As I can. yet lectured too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

We have been entering a solar maximum now for about two years and there is some of the highest emissions from the sun ever right now, not a lot we can do about it so you don’t hear anything about it. Well there is something you could do, increase your air miles, seems that the temperature increased by approx 2°C in US after all planes were grounded after 911, and this happened again for a longer period during Covid.

This is yet another unspoken fact about emissions but they have considered spraying chemicals into the upper air to block the suns rays. You can google Global dimming if you are interested. I think if they try to engineer the weather it will be a disaster experimenting on that scale, one of my biggest fears tbh.

They are not even that sure they are monitoring it correctly it’s a very new science although observations go back centuries…exactly the same can be said about climate change.

link if you wish to know more:

https://www.sciencealert.com/something-is-up-with-the-sun-and-it-could-mean-our-models-are-wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Does adaptation include, licking wet moss off a stone and harvesting mushrooms underground for sustenance with a barely genetically viable group of people having survived all of the intense resources wars and mass migration?

Like yeah maybe we can survive but why would we not try to limit the suffering.

I give them the benefit of the doubt on the say 30 -50 years but saying since records began not so much. My issue is we cant use data from 1880 and say they are as accurate as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

biggest psy-op ever with the coverage of temps and fires at the moment...how convenient that they are able to sow the seeds of panic right now, just as they are about to implement their ultra climate change policies which will hurt and bring hardship to normal hard working people....scare the people enough and they'll bay for you to punish them. listen to all the celebs lecturing you about how bad you are for the planet and ignore them while they all buy beach front properties, fly around in their private jets and diesel guzzling yachts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yeah cause mercury changed it’s chemical composition magically over 100 years.

You should announce this to the scientific community.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

We are but the sheer scale of what comes out of industry from both countries mean if Ireland stopped all production tomorrow it would really only affect Ireland, stop all driving, travel, business, now compare that to China or India doing that, what sort of changes do you think you would see within a month, a third of all the world's population is centred in 1 small area on Asia. It's like a bantam weight going into a ring with Tyson, we're so small as to be insignificant, the world is overpopulated and when you stand back and look at the population of Asia and North America what exactly does anyone think a tiny dot on the edge of western Europe can do, its like trying yo stop the tide with a spoon

I guess it varies depending on the data, thermometers by 1880 we’re very accurate so were other weather instruments, rainfall, humidity, air pressure. Climate change is new and is based on a hypothesis, I do believe we have an effect on the climate, Global Dimming is a good example of that whereby we are cooling the earth by using air travel, how much effect CO2 has…well I’m not convinced that alone is doing it, we are coming out of a cold age and have been for some time but I don’t think there is any need for all this hysteria at all.

If the powers that be believed what they are saying we would be building on Mountains not on the beach like Al Gore 😂 If we get several summers where we experience several days of 30°+ but we don’t buy snow ploughs to use every 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Urban Areas have way more concrete heating all the good stuff. Large heat sinks created vs what was in the past. Not all weather station are in the wilderness. If your in Dublin it's prob from the airport. well if you use google. scientific method is a lot better now not just relying on 1 person who's the so called expert in the field saying if something is correct. Again were only monitoring the sun for the last 30 odd years. The most important input to our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

And it seems to me instead of reducing demand for stuff produced in more polluting countries it seems as if green policies would increase the demand.....at least in terms of agriculture ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

From an Irish person's perspective it is someone else's problem. Almost one third of global greenhouse gas emissions are from one country, China.

Take a look at the graph on this page. Ireland doesn't even feature.

If you scroll down there is a list of all countries and we are pretty low on it.

Does that mean we can't contribute and make a difference? Of course not, but we are not the major problem. We all need to do what we can but coming on here and pretending that the reason "we are screwed as a species" is that we all think it's someone else's problem is nonsense. We know what the problem is. We have the data. It can be narrowed down to five countries who need to change their emissions output radically. China, the USA, India, Russia and Japan. If they don't do that, everything everyone else does is as good as meaningless.

Like I said before we can make an effort to not buy goods produced in China, but in todays world that is almost impossible. It would take a global effort involving all major manufacturers and would lead to increased cost of production and cost of goods. It would likely also lead to world war as I'm sure China would not be pleased about it's economy going to ruins due to the green efforts of the rest of the globe.

I asked in another thread got no answer. If Ireland stop producing carbon. What amount of temp in Deg would it remove. I know why. If you magically returned Ireland to without people. China would still produce and someone else will by their crap. And 5M people gone will have 0 impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

In the late 90's I think it was, I lived in London when it reached 100 Fahrenheit, on one day only. For weeks we had wall to wall sunshine. It was very hot and especially humid as you usually get in cities. One night I had to chill out in the bathtub for a wile to cool off. It was an old shop building with an apartment above I was living in so not constructed for ventilation.

I recall vividly the grass in the parks were yellow for a couple of weeks as if it were burnt. So we're talking temps of 36 to 38 Celsius for a good two weeks.

What I don't understand is how is it that temps just a couple of degrees higher than that recorded in London today have sparked a number of fires when there was no fires when temps reached 100f in my past experience as I've recounted.

Also, the max temp in the UK was recorded in Heathrow London today at 40.3c. Where did they put the thermometer? On the tarmacadamed airport runway? Heathrow is on the outskirks of London city, you'd expect temps to be higher in the city than in the borough of Heathrow.

My point is, I'm deeply suspicious of the reported recorded record high temps. And as for the fires, and because this is a city where climate activists glue themselves to roads, I'm even more suspicious of what caused them, when they never occurred in similarly hot London weather in the past. It's hardly because 40 degrees is a round figure that sparked the fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

So if we change they will change......that's your argument?

If it is....then in all honesty you have to admit its unlikely to work?

How do you make something like this work in as fair a way as possible? ..... I do believe what is being pursued now with agriculture just displaces production to other countries with little regulation or standards and more emissions and all to sell more BMWs etc to them......its not exactly a good look.....

Is there such a thing as a fair transition or is it just a fairy tale.....because people are afraid of their livelihoods/being able to provide for their families......its very hard to trust the powers that be given their track record

And speaking as someone working on the ground the policies they are pursuing are not in the primary producers benefit and appear to me at least to encourage more production/cheaper prices......

• Advertisement

This is the thing, we are a tiny percentage of the global population. I think we, as a nation, are pretty clued in on climate change and what we can all do to help mitigate it. We are pretty good at recycling, we don't have a massive pollution problem and we are reducing our reliance on fossil fuels year on year. We don't have a huge amount of industry pumping out Co2 either. Public transport could be better, we rely too much on our cars. But that is something we all know and are constantly asking our government to improve. It's up to them to improve the infrastructure.

We have a good collective awareness of our own responsibilities and we talk about the issue a lot. The big polluters globally do not. Their governments don't seem to care nor do many of their population. China needs power, it generally builds a coal fired plant. They built 33GW of coal power plants in 2021. Can you imagine us building a new coal powered plant in Ireland? I absolutely can't see that happening. There would be pushback from the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a freak event, tonight it was actually very chill,very fresh. Back to normal, uk will see temps drop super fast in next 24 hours

We have a good collective awareness of our own responsibilities and we talk about the issue a lot. The big polluters globally do not. Their governments don't seem to care nor do many of their population. China needs power, it generally builds a coal fired plant. They built 33GW of coal power plants in 2021. Can you imagine us building a new coal powered plant in Ireland? I absolutely can't see that happening. There would be pushback from the general population.

Welll Germany I hear is starting to burn coal again due to cutting off Russian gas.

Which kinda makes all these net zero policies look ridiculous.

Ya, they switched off most of their nuclear plants which are among the least harmful to the environment and now they're going back to coal. I get it that nuclear waste disposal is a big issue, but in terms of power output it's hard to beat nuclear and it's way more environmentally friendly than coal or gas.

Did they turn them off on end of life on the rods or before ? Hope at end of life to make sense.

I don't know why they did that and went for Russian gas. Not very German like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Only greedy people can alter the course but they won't risk losing money, so we'll just have to wait until oil and most of the coal is diminished and take it from there.

Then we've the 'well if they aren't doing the right thing, why should I?' 'I'm alright jack' merchants. Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will never be 'too late', if it was they could no longer milk people dry with nonsensical green taxes.

I find this kinda view a bit absurd.

If one could invent a new energy source, even if it was equally as pollutant as what we have, they'd be mega rich.

It's not as if those that invented energy production historically benefit from it's pollutant side effects.

Of course it's in their interest as much as everyone else's for energy production to have no negative side effects. If they could do it, they would.

It's the scientist's that can only fix this one. I believe they are working on an alternative to nuclear fission, think it's called nuclear fusion. Can't elaborate more than that as I'm not a particle physicist. The person that cracks that one will make Elon Musk look like a pauper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

How can I profit from this appalling situation?

Advertisement