Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog snapped at daughters friend.

Options
  • 29-06-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

UNE 29, 2022

We have the most wonderful, loving and playful 3 year old little Bichon/ Poodle mix. He loves people and visitors to the house usually.

Last week our 13 year old daughter had a friend around to visit her. He seemed to take an instant dislike to the friend, growling at her and refusing to go near her as he normally would with visitors. The friend loves dogs and went to pet him, he growled again and snapped without making any contact. This is the first and only time he has done this. We were shocked. Should we be worried?

By the time she was leaving, everything had calmed and she was feeding the dog treats.

Post edited by DBB on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Let's summarize:

Dog shows a clear "Stay the heck away from me" signal

Child ignores it and approaches

Dog growls and snaps in the air

Sorry, but what exactly are you concerned about beyond your own inability to act when the dog tells you it does not want to be approached by said person? The dog acts because clearly you're not; you want to avoid the situation again then actually don't ignore what the dog is trying to tell you. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's the summary of what happened; if anything you should be happy it only snapped in the air because it could have been worse and next time don't let the person approach when your dog clearly does not want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Literally this.

Your dog warned you that he was not comfortable with your daughters friend and this should have been respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

Thank you very much to both people for replier. Yes we do need just to act on that the dog told us he wasn't comfortable and to respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Poodles are very intelligent and as a pet minder i see they are very adamant about what they like & dont like, the bichon is the same. They all look very cuddly but they do snap when annoyed. I am reading about a poor man whose JRT nipped a woman and they are trying to have him killed. Tragic . There is a petition for him to be saved on change .org

<snip>

In this case the child should have been reprimanded for teasing the dog and that is what you should say to the parents let them know their kid is a little demon who teases dogs. Do not blame the dog kids are the biggest b**tards i have watched them with dogs on CCTV and they really deserve every bite they get. Sorry but its true.

Post edited by Cherry Blossom on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

cezanne, links to petitions are not permitted here, please don’t post them in this forum.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

sorry i was just so incensed to see this woman insisting a small jack russell is being killed and taken from an 80 year old man living in a isolated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd be very wary of this dog going forward. It is not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

To be honest you should be worried. I would expect the friend had the smell of dogs off her and thats what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I can’t believe some of the answers. A child got snapped at by a dog the dog should be reprimanded, not the child. Our lab mongeral snapped at me when I was 8 or 9 in front of my father. The dog was left in no doubt, by scolding and withdrawn treats who exactly was the higher in the family order. Child is than dog

Nonsense.

Nody's response No 2 was the perfect reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No imo you’re talking the nonsense. While I’ve always been surrounded with several dogs at any one time, on a farm , the hierarchy is always, always the family 1st and down to the dog

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150827083542.htm#:~:text=Summary%3A,substantiated%20by%20means%20of%20measurements.

Post edited by cj maxx on

Still nonsense.

The dog growled at someone who is a total stranger to them - not a family member. It gave a very clear warning that it was unhappy at being approached by this stranger, which was ignored by the humans.

Whatever happened after that, was completely on the humans involved, not the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

The way you say "humans"😀 like some sort of bad species.

At the end of the day, we are talking about a 13 year old child child, just trying to be friendly with a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Are you serious? Its up to adults not to put their children in a position where it could be bitten by a dog. Children should be taught not to approach strange dogs without owners permission and to look out for signs of discomfort. If they arent old enough to understand this then they probably shouldnt be physically interacting with a dog without an adult right there who can.

All dogs are capable of being pushed to the edge, and by punishing growls, snarls and air snaps you are taking away their warning/discomfort signs so there is a chance next time they will go straight to biting. And you'll have people say " but there was no warning signs".....yeh you punished the warning signs!!

I'm so sick of random children approaching my dog in the street and I look like the a**hole when I tell them to stay away. He's never bitten but he will growl or snap at strange people if they invade his space and make him feel cornered. Advocate for your dog, keep it safe and teach children that dogs are not toys and deserve a bit of space and respect!

Sometimes it needs to be spelled out that clearly!

The dog didn't see a "child trying to be friendly". The dog felt threatened at being approached by a complete stranger. It gave two appropriate warning signs - refusing to approach and growls.

What should have happened then, was the owners should have immediately removed the dog to another space for it's comfort, and away from their visitor.

They were very lucky this didn't end a lot worse, but at least the dog's owner has been open enough to see that not doing so was an error on their part.

I also agree that children need to be taught some basics - like if a dog growls at them it means "leave me alone!!" and they need to back off, not "keep trying".

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭boardlady

Hi OP,

I'm sorry you found yourself in this situation but well done on seeking advice. I have to also agree with a lot of the posters here. It can be tough to see your normally loving pet get cross, but unfortunately, we are all capable of being pushed! For the future, you now know your dog's cues and you can be aware and watching when people other than family members are around her. If she is unhappy with the situation, you can remove her - for both her own comfort and to avoid a bite situation. I also agree that the child should not have pushed the situation with a dog who clearly did not feel comfortable around her .. but as she was not your child, I can see how you were unsure how to act. Best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Dogs know a bad person when they see one... your daughters friend should not be allowed in the house again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Complete nonsense there Loueze from you.

“Humans” always come first, especially children. Stranger or not it is not acceptable for a dog to snap at a child. If he does it once he’ll do it again, and the next time it could be a much younger child and maybe there won’t be an adult there to take the child out of the equation. What happens then? I’ll tell you what happens, you read another story in the papers about a child being maimed by a dog.

The dog should be severely reprimanded for what he done. He should be kept away from children any more unless fully supervised and if he ever snapped again at anyone then there is only one other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

There is no mention of the child 'taunting' the dog. The OP mentions the child loves dogs and just went to pet the dog. No way was this the childs fault.

No child should be around a dog unsupervised. Ever!

And again by reprimanding these warning signs you are taking away the dogs way to communicate and this is why you hear of dogs biting/attacking "out of the blue" with no prior warning. There is a ladder of escalation of subtle stress signals dogs show when they are uncomfortable. As a dog owner you should be familiar with these. Lip licking, yawning, whale eye, ears pinned back, fixed stare, tense body.....all of these come before growls, snarls and snaps and if a dog is uncomfortable then ensure that all people, especially children give it space.

• Advertisement

Not the childs fault, the supervising adults fault for failing to pay attention to the dogs discomfort. Why was the child not told to give the dog space? Why was the child allowed to approach the dog and try to pet it?

That’s all well and good if there’s an adult there. But what happens when the dog has got out of his owners garden unknown to the owner? Or when the adult turns their back on the dog for a moment or 2 when there’s young children around that the dog is unfamiliar with?

Im sorry but like has been said here previously; people, and especially children, come before animals. If you’ve too much of a sentimental attachment to your pet to take the required steps needed when the pet steps out of line then you’re not mature enough to own a pet in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

And the dog warned the 13 year old to keep away.

The 13 year old ignored the dog.

'Child' makes it sound like a toddler.

This was a teenager. A teenager who should know better.

OP - I'd ask daughter not to bring this friend home again if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Judgemental much?

If a teenager isn't mature enough to leave a dog alone when that dog has made it 100% clear they don't want to be petted, that teenager shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a dog.

See - hyperbole can work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was over a friends recently, one of their dogs wasn't having any of me(growling & barking) so I just took that as stay away...and literally 10 minutes later he came over to me and getting belly rubs...

My mate and his OH was all apologies, which weren't at all required...

When I meet dogs, I give them space and let them come to me...just thought this was common sense, since I was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

Or maybe instead of curbing your child's social interactions how about the dog is locked away when there's visitors coming over!

This modern generation of dog owners who treat their dogs like they're actually people is ridiculous. They're animals at the end of the day. And because of the pampering they get is probably the reason they think they can do what they want..

Like the above comment, if the animal misbehaves let's just stop our child's friends coming over instead of locking the dog in another room..... Or.... Crazy idea.... Lock the dog outside!

If you cant supervise your dog around children then you've no business having a dog. I would not turn my back on any dog with young children around. My dog, my parents dog, any dog.

People do come before animals. But that doesnt mean that you punish a dogs communication methods. If you are not mature enough to research how to train your dog, protect it and those around you then you are not mature enough to own a pet in the first place. If a dog shows a clear sign of discomfort, listen to it. Teach your children to listen to it. Teach your dog that strangers/children are positive by showing respect and boundaries. Counter condition when they show they may have a negative feeling around some strangers in some situations. And if that all fails then separate your dog from children/strangers in your home. These are the required steps. Not punishing or destroying a dog at the first growl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It sounds like you have a great dog, OP. It gave clear warning signs and had to resort to even clearer ones when the initial ones were ignored.

Btw a dog will bite if they want to or see no other option. The snapping was just another warning sign telling the girl to back off.

I agree with other posters that 13 year olds should have the cop on to know how to behave around dogs. Teach your daughter to keep friends away from her dog when he gives such clear signs.

You may be responsible enough to ensure 100% supervision of your dog at all times but the majority of dog owners aren’t. And I agree with your statement on the dogs communication methods, you are absolutely correct that people who don’t understand this aren’t mature enough to own a pet. Unfortunately though the majority of dog owners fall into this category so we’re back where we began now.

• Advertisement

Except none of what I said is hyperbole. It’s what’s happening all around the country on a regular basis.

The problem is immature people that have too much of an attachment to their pets and think they are people. They can’t then see when their dog has done wrong until it’s too late.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement