Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What's wrong with the photos the media used? Do you think the government are trying to hide something?

Do you think the government take away the camp beds after the "government photographers" take their photos?

Also who are the government photographers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What's your point? How dare they drive their own cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Guess the war is fake, so. Or, you know, they decided to leave before the war came to them. Just like I would.

There is no way you would be getting out of an area with russians with cars like that. Simple. They steal washing machines ffs. Fighting has been contained at this stage and retaking of land on going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not exactly paupers- feeding on Irish taxpayers hard earned cash, being squandered on social welfare and hotel Rooms. These are people of wealth and means and people here struggling in barely above minimum wage must contribute- what an absolute farce

I know they wouldn't get out of a place with fighting FFS. But I wouldn't be hanging around waiting for the fight to come to me, especially if I had kids. And airstrikes are still occuring outside of the field of battle. If I had children, no way would I stay anywhere in Ukraine. Not a hope. And so what if they bring their own vehicles. WTF is it to you?

Both number plates seem to be out of range so they could have moved to other parts of Ukraine. East and south east. well out of the fighting.

dnipropetrovsk oblast for example

https://liveuamap.com/ live map

Edit. They are from East and South east the cars to make it make sense. dnipropetrovsk is in the south east.

Post edited by xxxxxxl on

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

I was in another large hotel close to Citywest recently which is full of asylum seekers from countries other than The Ukraine. At least ⅔ of those I saw at reception, outside the main door and in the common areas were young males. Perhaps the female and the older asylum seekers were elsewhere in the complex but in this overtly sensitive time am I even allowed to question the demographics of those seeking asylum here? I know for centuries we too exported many of our citizens, often young males as well. But I'm not sure any of this has been thought through properly. Where are all these asylum seekers going to live and work and more importantly in my view, what about the challenges of social and cultural integration? Because if we hive all these people off to their own enclaves we'll make the current no-go areas of our towns & cities look like Disney World. 

And on The Ukraine itself, by most metrics it's been the poorest country in the European region for years. That's despite having huge resources and potential, so we're told. Where were all these bleeding hearts years ago when it seems The Ukraine was being neglected and their citizens couldn't reap the rewards of their potential? It seems "the West" was happy to let The Ukraine struggle as long as Putin was only warring in the east of the country and our economies weren't being threatened, despite the fact that it seems to me that The Ukraine itself was being mismanaged. 

• Registered Users Posts: 24,917 ✭✭✭✭zell12

'There are 43,000 Ukrainian refugees here already, and 1,400 are arriving each week.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Bit of a late night Kerfuffle, I see 😉

This mornings Indo.

I think the projections seem conservative, 33,000 expected to arrive by the end of the year 🤔

That's 1,434 per week.

The Number of Ukrainian refugees here now seems to stand at 43,000

We've heard about ambitious, grandeous plans to have accommodation ready for approx 9,000 available by the end of August, that's in about 6 weeks, fanciful I think at this stage.

We don't seem to have definitive numbers for the Total amount currently in Hotels but it must be at least 30,000 but likely more. We do however know that seperately there's at least 10,000 in emergency Accommodation including 1000"s of children, this involves a number of types of accommodation but mainly hotel's.

We know, some major events coming up, Sports and concerts so there'll certainly be no spare room capacity in Dublin and some surrounding counties, this is possibly the reason behind the Terminal Building debacle, an enormous Tent structure being constructed at the city west and of course Gormanstown camp opening.

The article notes numerous "Private Warnings" most of which are being ignored. I go back to the fact we really don't know who's coming in if the folks arring are seeking protection under the EU directive.

A bit of a Kerfuffle is the kindest thing I can surmise from this mess and let's not forget, record homeless numbers expected shortly.

Worth noting the mention of "Others" seeking refuge, what's actually not being mentioned is this, Near 600, mainly Somalian, we're actually INVITED here by the previous government and they arrived here over a month ago, there was no rush of "Others" arring at our ports of entry. These folks dispersed in a number of hotels in Longford, Westmeath and further afield.

But one paragraph stuck out for me

"Last week, the ban on deportations of asylum-seekers denied refuge was lifted after Ukrainian refugees were forced to sleep in an old terminal building at Dublin Airport due to the State running out of accommodation"

Can we expect to see, mass deportations imminently 🤔🤔 absolutely not.

Morning all..

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, not fake but more of a localised conflict in a proportionally small area of the country (given the overall size of Ukraine) than a full scale invasion, and the Ukranians are more than holding their own to their credit.

As for your last line, although I don't know your age I'll use my NI analogy again - did you or your parents leave the Republic because of the Troubles in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just cant get over the Government line “ we will house refugees in tents for a week “ Where in gods name are the planning to put them after a week ? There is litterly no where to go ?

It does seem to be the elephant in the room alright but remember Leo was talking the other day about a deal in the works for another site. Maybe another Citywest somewhere?

I can think of a hotel that is motorway adjacent about 10 minutes drive from me on the M7 in Laois. Can easily imagine a place like that being "repurposed"

It's complete nonsense, there's no hotel rooms available in Dublin on at least September, unless they scramble to find places further afield.

Morning, I can confirm (I know the venue) and live in Laois, discussions have been taking place but likely not to be concluded before mid to late August 😉 Staff have not been informed and and lay offs likely, it's not as straightforward as people think, ownership of this and other hotels proving to be difficult also.

I can imagine that becoming a nightmare. There's a food court beside it as ya know but absolutely nothing in the town in terms of longer term accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And they won't say how many are coming from or have already arrived from elsewhere,we know Martin blamed the situation in the UK sending illegals to Rwanda has caused problems for the situation with the lack of accommodation here ,it's safe to say we're only hearing part of the story here

It might be unpopular among the NGOs and the liberal media, but the UK has the right idea to be honest.

Far better than our open door, open to abuse policies, and with a compliant media not asking key questions or holding Government to account, the real story is that we probably have no idea how many are really here, and from where at this stage.

I'm sure it'll all be grand......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Been saying it for years, deportations barely 1,500 failed asylum seekers were deported over the last 30 years ,and that was at a time when 20,000+ Africans were arriving here yearly,

40,000 + Ukrainians are here but how many other nationals have arrived here during the same period

• Advertisement

Absolutely, it's assumed block booking a hotel is just about waving a rather large cheque and a number of hotels taken over already had a pretty straightforward set up, one owner, seasonal staff, limited additional services etc.

Taking over Celtic Tiger era hotels, some still in resolution processes, complex ownership structures and a host of additional challenges, is not straightforward.

Of course its a highly profitable proposition for companies who own these properties but there's legacy issues and obligations that have to be addressed.

We don't agree on much but on thus we absolutely do, the UK angle was a red herring, utter nonsense and even the UN saw no evidence of MM claims, Details post a bit back. The UK"s NEW policy has barely got off the ground with not a single person successfully sent to Rwanda (that may have changed) pending numerous court challenges. It was yet another cynical Deflection tactic by this government away from its own ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,844 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The NI conflict is comparing apples and oranges really.

What went on up there during The Troubles was an occupying British force fighting localised terrorism. Not a full scale invasion of Ireland.

For it to be a valid comparison, the Republic of Ireland itself would need to be fighting off an invasion from the British via the north.

If the British were in fact invading from the north and Irish people, including friends and family were dying in their thousands while trying to fight them off, you can be sure lots would be fleeing.

I'd say many people got a bit antsy down here when the Dublin/Monaghan bombings happened, which paled in comparison to what's currently happening in Ukraine.

You've also a lot more potential there for other countries surrounding Ukraine like Belarus to get involved. Again, very different to the situation here as an Island on the periphery of a continent.

If I'm being totally honest, I'd have concerns about the Rwanda angle, just on a personal level but whatever the merits the message has been loud and clear from the UK and a similar strong message required by the Irish Government, that Ireland is not a soft touch.

What they've done is reprehensible in my view, over come with Virtue Signalling, they've an unfettered, Open welcome, open borders, a free for all ignoring the lack of infrastructure and accommodation but more disgraceful, ignoring the numerous crisis that already exist at home and essentially sticking their two fingers up at Irish Citizens and dare I say others resident in Ireland.

They've depended on their own delusions , ignored advice, Polls, sentiment and hard facts, it's gone beyond beggar's belief, its actually quite depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

An economist would say that it is expensive to raise a population. It is cheaper to import a population. As an society, you don't have to pay as much for maternity leave, healthcare, childcare, education, etc until the population reaches adulthood where they can work and contribute back to the economy.

A environmentalist might suggest that the last thing that this world needs is overpopulation by subsidising having more children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

There is nothing wrong with the photo's used but you can't use the photo's to state the media were there. The media were camped outside which is something different.

I have no idea what the government has done with the camp beds but for transparency why couldn't the media take their own photo's. This is like something you would see in North Korea.

The government photographers are photographers they hire to do certain jobs. I don't know who they are and it should not matter who they are.

Well said, can't believe that discussion went on after I went to bed 😏

Edit, I can believe it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It beggars belief that people who don't know what they are taking about make ridiculous claims. I have also been at various events were the media had their own photographers attending and were told by the government press officer what photo's to take, ensuring all photo's were similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why does this matter? Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over a few photos and where journos can go? All will be clear in time - one presumes that guests at Gormanstown tented facility have phones and are capable of using them...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

In relation to tented villages for refugees - I heard a Roscommon bus driver on Morning Ireland this morning, he's after returning from Ukraine with yet another bus load. According to him Ukrainians are being housed in tented villages all across Europe since the war began, he stayed a night in one on his way home.

Trains & buses are running as normal in 80% of Ukraine, and apart from the far east of the country life is going on as near to normal as expected, yet some lad in Roscommon hops on his bus and decides to drive to Ukraine and bring 40 or 50 locals on a spin across the continent of Europe to treasure Ireland, a place already bursting at the seams with refugees....the mind boggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement