Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Too true, we'll manage a week at this stage I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kildare were 4/9 in 1998 and we all know how that panned out.

As a Galwayman it'll be hope rather than expectation I'll be going in with on Sunday (assuming I can get a ticket), but I think these teams are a lot closer than the 1/3 the bookies have Kerry priced at to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Can't see Galway giving Kerry a scare next Sunday. They aren't in the league of Kerry unfortunately. This game will be won by Kerry by about 5 points. Could be wrong but unlikely Galway will be good enough to beat Kerry on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is the football final on this week? You'd never know it. This calendar needs to be taken out back and put out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I was disappointed to read on the listings on Sky that Darragh Maloney will be commentating on the final. A lot of people don't like Ger Canning but he is still the voice of Gaelic Football for anyone under 40. His voice was there in all of our memories. Any time I hear Darragh Maloney I think of the old RTE premier League highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Ah christ, DM is miles ahead of Ger "it's a huge one" Canning, I can't stand him

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭MattressRick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I turn to the Irish commentary so I don't have to listen to Ger and Marty spouting off, those lads just tell you who's doing what on the field, as Gaeilige

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Stop - Canning’s understanding of anything beyond ‘and that’s now 8 wides for Galway. That’s too many to win a championship match’ is minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Marty is better than both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

According to Ger Cannings commentary in the semi final the final was played last Sunday week. Time he was put out to grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Great to hear, it's the first final he has commented on, long overdue. He's the best of the lot and seems to have a genuine interest in the games he's on.

He has been commentating GAA for about 15 years at this stage. I'd associate his voice more with gaelic games than soccer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

I agree, Maloney is miles clear of the rest. Marty's ok on hurling but can't help the contempt coming into his voice in football when any of the long passages of possession that are common place now happen. Ger has had his day sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That Sky listing must be wrong, there's no way they'd drop Canning at this stage.

I associate Darragh Maloneys voice more with Irelands Fittest Family than GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Canning makes Marty sound like prime Ó Muircheartaigh. Canning is absolutely woeful. Maloney not great but the best of poor options.

Get out.

He was unbearable on Sunday. Absolutely the worst commentator in RTÉ by a mile.

Darragh Moloney is top tier in RTÉ as both a commentator and host.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Am I the only one who honestly couldn't give a sht what the commentators are saying. As long as they get the name of the player right I don't care and zone the rest out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"Jimmy Murphy on the ball now, a lot of people dont know this about him but Jimmy Murphy holds a record in his parish of Ballygobdaw for eating the most jambons in a minute"

How can that utter drivel not bother you - Marty and Ger both go off on these daft tangents about nothing. You'd wonder if they have bets on with the staff to see who can get the most ridiculous anecdote squeezed into their commentary without laughing

It's more that I don't even hear it. It just goes right over my head.

Also the reason they do that is because Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh set the template for hurling commentary. And honestly I don't know what makes him great either. Great knowledge and brilliant when it comes to interviews or documentaries but I am just as neutral on his commentary as I am the "sht" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Marty Morrissey is a brutal commentator. An embarrassment. He has the horrible 'gift' of being able to make an All Ireland final sound as significant as an early season O Byrne Cup game while the greats like O Hehir and Michael O Muircheartaigh could make a run of the mill league game sound like an All Ireland final.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind what they say if they ever **** up and let the game breathe. But Marty never shuts the fúck up.

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If darragh moloney can make some woman jumping through tires on irelands fittest family sound exciting then he is good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

O'Muircheartaigh was a brilliant commentator, his ability to cover a gap in the game was extraordinary his flow was brilliant, and his sense oh humour was brilliant, his ability to tell a serious or daft story and give a quib at the end of it. I came across these below a bit back at his 90 th birthday and just copied and pasted them onto this message

GAA legend Mícheál O'Muircheartaigh has turned 90.

Here are some of his witty live commentary ‘quotes’

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín: his father’s from Fermanagh, his mother’s from Fiji. Neither a hurling stronghold.

…and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I’ll tell ye a little story: I was in Times Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said, “I suppose ye wouldn’t have The Kerryman, would ye?” To which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said, “Do you want the North Kerry edition, or the South Kerry edition?” He had both – so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet…

Anthony Lynch, the Cork corner-back, will be the last person to let you down – his people are undertakers.

Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. It's over the bar. This man shouldn’t be playing football. He’s made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn’t kick points like Colin Corkery.

The stopwatch has stopped. It’s up to God and the referee now. The referee is Pat Horan. God is God.

Teddy McCarthy to Mick McCarthy, no relation, Mick McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation.

I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them. The priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! 40 yards out on the Hogan Stand side of the field, Ciarán Whelan goes on a rampage… it’s a goal! So much for religion.

He grabs the sliothar, he’s on the 50! He’s on the 40! He’s on the 30… he’s on the ground!

Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar. I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal… the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick… Fox, to the 21, fires a shot – it goes to the left and wide… and the dog lost as well.

In the first half, they played with the wind. In the second half, they played with the ball.

1-5 to 0-8… well, from Lapland to the Antarctic, that’s level scores in any man’s language.

Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now, but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail… I’ve seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!

Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy…

Mike Houlihan for Limerick. He had his jaw broken by a kick from a bullock two months ago. He’s back now. ‘Twas some bullock that broke Mike Houlihan’s jaw!

Slava Ukrainii

Stuff like this is very good "He grabs the sliothar, he’s on the 50! He’s on the 40! He’s on the 30… he’s on the ground" as are some of the match related ones.

But if Marty said the Fiji or Times Square ones everyone would call it scutter but its poetry cause a "legend" said it.

As someone said earlier Marty never shuts up but MO'M gets to tell us about buying dogs and it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Marty Morrissey doesn't sound genuine when he launches into his prepared spoken word pieces.

It's like a hammy impression of Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.

That's because Micheals were, or come across, like they are off the cuff. Like the times square story wasn't just funny for the story itself, it was the flow from Dooher being down injured - telling the story - then finishing the story with "and Dooher is back on his feet. He was straight back into the game.

Just listen to the shite out of his mouth pre match..3 minutes right from the start of the video

He came out with the "Hawkeye has been to the optician" twice on Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Declan Bonner gone from Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Marty might be a genuine guy, but it has to be said that at times his commentary is so contrived that it becomes quite amateurish. I watched the hurling final on Sky Sports, the commentary was slicker, analysis was far more insightful and it led to a far better viewing experience.

I managed to catch Marty's piece during the pre-match parade later on, and it was as I expected. He was obviously reading from his prepared script as the teams paraded, and the gushing that ensued was drivel of the highest order. He was rushing the superlatives out, trying to fit his "words of wisdom" in before the game started. This made the whole thing sound quite inauthentic.

For the biggest day of the year for our national game viewers deserve better. Anybody who hasn't seen it yet should watch the video (it's just been posted here). It's so over the top that it almost becomes a caricature of itself.

Marty should be doing radio commentary - his work on the ending of the drawn 2013 final was pretty good, it came from the heart and seemed pretty genuine.

Darragh deserves a shot at the football final, hopefully he does get it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Malachy O'Rourke is the man to go for now. county board will no doubt make a balls of things as usual

Advertisement