Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

And i understand where you're coming from but per capita analysis doesn't scale up at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Yep , the world is going to end !!! ( Only joking, paying more green taxes and slaughtering the national herd will save us from the Earth's 4.5 billion year old cycles) . Sigh .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

You are too late to the party, all the,profitable money making ventures,are subscribed to, Mary Robinson climate justice, greens with taxes, Prince Charles and his 50 billion fund, and all the other funds, which basically do feck all but collect money and advocate for ordinary people to suffer,while the funds, fund the new messiah elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I can't help notice some of the posters who generally oppose any kind of progressive change, are relying on our ability to 'adapt'. No doubt the same posters would oppose any progressive adaptation.

But it's true, humans adapt. The Ukranians are adapting to their situation. And that's the main reason why nations take climate change as seriously as they do - war. Climate change causes people to move and mass movement causes war.

If half the population of Indonesia needs to move, where do they go? 125m Muslims needing a home in an emergency. But shur, we'll adapt, isn’t that it? We'll need to build a lot more mosques in Ireland but I'm sure the ones who oppose any climate action now will be happy to accommodate the immigrants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We're causing fewer greenhouse gas emissions than a country with 1.4billion people. Pats on the back all around.

Per capita, of course, we're noticeably worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No.

Maybe you should do it. Start a blog and try to get as much Indian, Chinese and US subscribers as you can and educate them about your way of living.

As for myself, count me out. I am not into self flagellating cults.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

If it was peeing down with rain it would be attributed to climate change!

It is the summer & we have good weather which is what is expected.

Fires around Europe are being started by mindless idiots.

Didn't we have our own idiot in the shape of an actual fireman from Kerry

who started a load of fires in Kerry last year!

Most fires are man made, if you haven't ever seen this link it then it's an eye opener as to how many fires are burning across the globe any day of the year.

Have a peek at the Amazon where they are destroying the rainforest for farmland or north Australia where massive amounts of land get cleared by fire every year for tens of thousands of years.

Then next winter have a look at how many fires are burning in Europe, or in early spring for farming too.

Unfortunately hot weather brings out fire bugs. Dry lightning can also be an issue, particularly after prolonged dry weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The only way to tackle this is world population control. Bring it way back down. It's going to have to happen at some stage. Not even from an environmental point but a resources one. Your mining out a big old rock. She only has so much to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lads, Ireland is 5 million people but the EU is 500 million and we have EU targets. Those saying Ireland is insignificant, fine, but is the EU insignificant? Massive consumers and China's biggest customer. We can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yeah, maybe covid was natures reaction to over population. We have to many people for the earth.

And we are too globally aware and linked for any real mass extinction to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't think it's too late unless you're inclined to go down the apocalyptic route. Personally fine with the longer targets but we probably do need to see some movements on actions this decade. The inherent inertia of government and the resistance of some parts of society to proposals will take quite some time to address. People could start by not reading the incessant clickbait crap around this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Beautiful weather that's great to see. I absolutely hate the miserable moaners who jump on the green bandwagon the first sign of a nice spell of sunshine and attempt to make us feel guilty for enjoying it. Feck off.

We didn't get any extremes in Ireland, but look at Portugal, France, Spain and even the UK. Serious temperatures there causing serious problems, that's what people are worried about, not 26c in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We are way more influential than we have any right to be based on our population. As members of the EU we get to inform policy for the world's wealthiest trading block which sets the standards for the rest of the world.

And that's why you throw your rubbish out the window. Piss in the swimming pool and talk loudly in the cinema.

Fuck everyone else. There are some dickheads in the world so everyone should be a dickhead too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well looking at the beaches yesterday you’re not far off.

As I have said, I do my bit and pay my taxes.

But everyone needs to pull their weight and they aren’t so I get crucified with more taxes.

That’s not fair and just.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Even if you deny climate change you can't deny that we are destroying air, water, soil, environments, life on the planet. People seem ok with this. It's incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Am wondering when the insta celebrities start preaching to us that we are burning their planet. The media have found another saviour to their dwindling revenues. An endless reel of outrage news, that's what drives their business model now. Climate change now that COVID news saturation has peaked. There's a lethargy about the war in Ukraine. People have switched their attention to their own troubles, it's not that they don't care, but they can't see an end in sight. The terror campaign of keeping people in fear moves onto the next hot topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Do you seriously think these trees spontaneously combusted in Wicklow because the temperature hit 30 degrees for one day in Ireland.

Take a day off from the hysterical, bought and paid for, media and engage your brain.

Some people are and unfortunately they want to ruin it for everyone else with the doom mongering. They are the same cohort who always think the doomsday clock is at 2 minutes to midnight.... I'm 50 years of age and they've been saying the world is ending since the 80's with the hole in the ozone layer. Life is hard enough for normal working people without these clowns wanting us to spend 50k on an electric car and another 100k retrofitting the house.

The Greens in leafy D4 have no issue dropping that sort of cash and lecturing the rest of us on how we "aren't doing enough". Every single person in Ireland could eat nothing but lettuce and cycle everywhere for the rest of their lives and it would make the square root of feck all difference to the climate.

After almost 2 solid years of doom mongering about Covid im sick to the back teeth of negativity but the media thrive on selling it to the gullible lemmings.

any person anywhere in the world could only eat lettuce and it would make no difference, that's why collective European/Global efforts and goals are required, whether they happen or not is a different story, but some of us would like to at least try

And i've no problem with you trying but leave the rest of us to get on with attempting to enjoy our lives and look after our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What do you suggest? Pull all foreign aid from third world countries and let nature take its course??

That would drastically reduce the population and consumption of water, soil etc.

would make far more sense to reduce the population in rich countries like Ireland, given we consume crazy amounts compared to your average African or Bangladeshi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Angela Merkel was pally with Putin, and her belief was that it was better to integrate Russia with the rest of Europe, which was a reasonable policy at the time. The Green influence also played a large part in closing the nuclear power plants. I think they are attempting to resurrect them, as the folly of relying on Putin is now horribly apparent.

• Advertisement

The beach gets destroyed by a minority of arseholes who don't give a ****. But the majority of people want to have nice things, so we pay extra tax to fund cleanups and refuse collection etc, and we also have fines (which are far too rarely enforced) to punish the anti social brigade

Your solution is to turn everywhere into the worst of all worlds, because you resent being asked to pay some of your money to clean up after the arseholes

I don't like having to pay taxes to clean up after anti social arseholes, but it's worth it to have clean public spaces.

In the global sphere, We only have one planet, we, as the wealthiest nations have been those anti social arseholes for long enough, we have directly created and indirectly caused the vast majority of the pollution we're suffering from now, so we should be footing the bill to clean it up. And going forward, we should have regulations and supports in place to stop the 'free riders' from pumping out pollution while manufacturing goods and services to sell into our markets.

Advertisement