Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Because yesterday was the day to beat our record and because of that poxy cloud in phoenix park it ruined it although i am happy dublin beat their county record by 2c

Latest charts indicate that a cooler and wetter period of weather throughout next weekend, with drier and less showery weather early next week, before the Atlantic lows make their move towards Ireland midweek and lasting throughout the remainder of the 10 day outlook period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Welcome to Club Hot, we did this whole thing a year ago here, six days above 40 and three at around 44, also quite unprecedented in our climate where 39 had been the previous top reading (in 1941). (here if you didn't know is halfway from Vancouver to Calgary but a bit south, near the US border)

The rest of our summer in 2021 never got back up near those record highs although there were a few days in the low 30s. What was more problematic was that many forest fires developed to our northwest during thunderstorms that broke the heat wave, and eventually we had days of severe acrid forest fire smoke in this region. I'll never know if my brief illness in August was COVID or smoke inhalation since the symptoms are fairly similar and I started to recover before it was necessary to go into hospital (which no doubt helped me recover faster). I am fully recovered now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Waddington (near Coningsby) also reached 40.3 C today.

European maxima today and last 8 days' hourly temperature sequence.

Great that you are feeling better M.T. You are a boards.ie treasure and we are so lucky to have your weather analysis, which is excellent. What does the next few days shape up where you are. Big golf fan like myself too! Wonder what the weather holds for Gleneagles for this weeks Seniors Open? Keep up the great work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Banarol

We had 31.5c recorded in Oak Park on August 2nd 1995. I remember that day clearly. All the tar was boiling in and around Thurles. It was the hottest day Ive felt in my lifetime. We recorded 31.0 in my area yesterday but that day in 1995 felt much hotter, with blazing sunshine as opposed to yesterdays hazy stuff. There was no breeze either. I read on the Archives that Ballybrittas in Laois also recorded 31.5c in August 1975

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The Waddington value has been rejected "due to ground conditions below screen".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh wow that's good going, i barely remember 2003 as i was only 6 but I've done my research for 1995 and 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Noticed that yesterday! Same for me.

Posting this at 2243.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The time on boards has been wrong since the update last summer as far as I know.

• Advertisement

It keeps automatically scrolling to the top of the page while I’m typing or scrolling down reading. Head wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Big temp drop this evening, 11C down in the past 5 hours.

I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

🙂😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oh im finally glad it's only 15c in Sligo after watching BBC News tonight. Feck that shht and thank God for the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clydesdale

Incredible scenes in the UK… 39.8C in Leeds where my brother lives, a city that’s further north than Dublin. There’s no way we could get those insane temperatures in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

Glorious few days I must say and also fantastic to get the temperatures over 30°c

What really stood out for me was the rate of temperature increase on Monday Morning here in Kildare. It was phenomenal. I have never experienced heat in Ireland like that so early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

could we get another scorchio spell before the summer's out?😶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭obi604

THIS is wrecking my head. Happens with my iPhone and is really driving me mad

Yes but unlikely to hit 33c again. High Pressure is nearby though so plenty of fine days at times. Maybe 25 or 26c the next hot spell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes we probably will get another spell but it may only be for a few days and zero chance of getting another 33C, that probably won't happen again in our lifetime and if it does it won't be for years. What happened this week is so rare it's almost impossible giving our geography. A plume event will miss Ireland 9 times out of 10. We will never get a 33C from an Azores high that sits over Ireland for weeks as those crazy uppers (above 18 to 20) are required for Ireland and have to be pulled up from Africa or central Spain.

Unfortunately our landmass is just too small and too far north and too far west to get the uppers that are needed to comfortably get a temperature of 33C or more, we are surrounded by oceans and require much higher upper air temperatures compared to the UK to pull off temperatures of 33C or higher. The upper air temperatures of 21 to 23 were still not enough to pull in a more widespread set of 33C and required absolutely nothing to go wrong such as sea breezes, cloud or even haze. In order to comfortably break the 33.3C barrier we would probably need uppers beyond 25C. England can easily get to 33C with upper air temperatures of +15C because of their larger landmass, they are further south and east and most importantly they have France sitting just to their south.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

won't happen again in our lifetime

but we've had two scorchio events two years running, and the climate experts say this is going to be a regular occurrence going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Nothing unusual about last year's heatwave, kind of thing we get every 3 or 4 years I'd have thought. This weeks high temps were exceptional for the reasons so eloquently explained by Gonzo. I don't think Global Warming / Climate Change will make that kind of event more likely (for Ireland at least - clearly others are feeling its effects already). That's just my very amateur understanding though, not trying to start a Climate Change debate!

Last years event was an azores high sitting over Ireland for a week. Most of the country had mid to high twenties from it as sea breezes would have shaved off several degreees and temperatures of 30C were confined to 1 or 2 official stations compared to the 10 stations which all went north of 30C on Monday. These Azores highs warm spells are fairly common in Ireland compared to the event of Monday which is a very different setup. We usually get a decent azores high every few years. I would love to see them every summer and I won't be complaining if we start to see them every summer, our summers are still very poor compared to every other country in Europe.

I hope your right Gonzo. Though unlikely we could have hit 35c if it didn't get cloudy at the wrong time. I still think a 2010 type Winter event is more unlikely than 33c being repeated before we die.

The media and climate scientists are all saying its climate ch.... oops I nearly said the banned word.

Anyways global cooling continues aloft in Sligo. 14c and windy.

I'm really beginning to lose faith in our winters however every 8 to 10 years we should still experience one snowy winter. It seems like not so long ago we used to look on at envy to the Uk where they would get proper snow at least once every winter. It's becoming as rare there as it is here (exception being Scotland).

A fair chance that we will get an attempt from the Azores high final days of July or at some stage during the first 2 weeks of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

The excellent description by Gonzo is missing from most news reports as they plug what is really an anti-social agenda at the expense of genuine research. The forensics of a heat wave or a storm is far more interesting to observers than attempting to blame it on human behaviour. The problem is that there are not enough confident people who are willing to take the hysteria out of exceptional weather events by demonstrating how conditions align to create those events whether a storm or a hot spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭compsys

A warmer plant means warmer seas, a warmer continent, warmer uppers. A warmer everything almost.

It would have been unheard of to think England could get to 40º a few years ago. And yesterday it reached it in around a dozen locations. It'll probably become the norm for them now in summer.

At the rate we're going, an Azores high sitting over us absolutely will have the capacity to give us 33º. We won't need 'once-in-a-generation' plumes or exceptional circumstances to give us record temps. The Earth will be warm enough to provide it in almost standard set ups.

Advertisement