Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Seeing as residents leaving the spaces above shops is a phenomenon seen all over ireland in cities and towns, its very unlikely that pedestrianisation is the cause. Plenty of streets up and down the country with car parking at street level and yet the above shop units are lying vacant now, having been occupied previously. Pedestrianisation has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I was going to comment on the "What on earth are dribbling on" comment against you, but figured you would yourself. The abuse you put up with here is unreal and yes, it reflects on those dishing it out.

Interesting collection of photos. They're illustrative of the general attitude really. When I used to cycle regularly (years ago), you were expected to respect other roads user (pedestrians, drivers etc.) Nowadays, cyclists are all about their rights, and woe betide anyone who points out that spaces can be shared with courtesy and consideration for all. It's the main reason many have serious misgivings about those cycles buses - how do the "marshalls" have the right to obstruct and stop traffic at junctions. It's appallingly arrogant and surely illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The poor postie only doing there job.

Your post really highlights the minuscule amount of bike parking that exists in the City Centre. Every street that has car parking, should also have a bike parking rack. 10 bikes = 1 car. Efficiency or what. More footfall, more customers, more money. Every 4th on street car parking spot should be removed and put in 5 stand bike rack that will take 10 bikes. Winning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

As someone who marshals a cycle bus I can tell you first-hand that the cycle bus I ride with doesn't assume any power to stop traffic. There is a written document governing the safe operation of cycle buses that makes it clear that the marshals don't have any right to stop traffic. Their instructions are to 'negotiate' with drivers. That doesn't mean stopping to have a chat and can be as simple as, through a mixture of facial expression and hand gesture, trying to convey "can you give us a moment to get the kids through here, please". Most of the time you'll get a friendly nod from the driver in response. But, if the driver insists on proceeding, the marshal's instructions are to stop the cycle bus and let the driver go ahead.

Now that might give rise to a situation where a driver at the front of the queue, who decides to be considerate, is making a decision that impacts drivers behind him, and those other drivers might feel they are being dictated to by a marshal. If that is happening then maybe the drivers should stop to consider why the marshals are there in the first place.

Nobody I know who marshals a cycle bus wants to marshal a cycle bus or even wants cycle buses to exist. They all view cycle buses as a short-term necessary evil with the longer-term aim that kids should be able to cycle safely to school by themselves without being bullied off the road by drivers.

In any case, if we're judging actions as "appallingly arrogant and surely illegal", would it not be more proportionate to focus on those drivers who think it's OK to endanger the lives of young kids, breaking multiple laws while doing so, on a daily basis. The reason cycle buses exist is because there are too many drivers who think saving a few seconds in their journey time (or even saving no time at all overall, but just getting to the back of the next queue a few seconds earlier) justifies putting children's lives at risk. This is the kind of behaviour I'm talking about and it happens all too often, even with cycle buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you familiar with Galway city?

Residents are practically gone from Eyre Square, and Shop / High / Quay Streets. But plenty (including me) are living in Middle St, Augustine St, Merchant's Rd, Dock Rd.

In an Irish context, pedestrianisation leads to substantial on-street anti-social behaviour.

• Advertisement

Cars driving around Eyre Square have no effect on the anti social antics there

I totally agree there should be more balanced parking.

But I wouldn't limit it to bicycles: we have issues with motorcycles (who seem to think that the top of Eyre Square is theirs by right - and in fairness, they have NO dedicated parking), and a growing one with e-scooters. The latter are a lot more space efficient than bicycles: with the right rack-design, you can fit three of them into the space needed for one bicycle.

Of course that raises the question of whether public space should be used for storing private property. When that property is used for transport purposes, it's a resounding "yes" from me (because of the social usefulness of transport), but there are some who disagree.

(The postie's job is to deliver the mail, not to pop to their mate's place in for a cup of tea! Which is where I suspect they were. Even if they were going upstairs in that complex to deliver mail, the bicycle should have been put in the courtyard, not the middle of the footpath).

Yes. Are you familiar with the housing crisis?

The only reason those units are empty is because they are

a) no longer habitable, or

b) are in use by the businesses below, usually for storage

You have 0 evidence that pedestrianisation is the cause of this, while there is a plethora of evidence countrywide that this phenomenon occurs even when there is no pedestrianisation going on. Middle St, Augustine, Merchants road etc all have proper apartment blocks, shop and quay street do not for the most part.

Also the townhouses above eyre sq shopping centre have people living in them, no car parking or road access but they are very popular and rent out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Interesting to hear the perspective from a Marshall’s side. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

More bike parking is definitely needed, and when installed, a tougher line (i.e. removal) taken with bad parkers. If you want to see the gold standard in bicycle parking, have a look at what the city of Utrecht has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jurys car park is too tight for the SUVs anyway so I reckon it'd be ideal for a €0.50 an hour bicycle parking. Over shop spaces tend to get used as other types of business such as dentists, accountants, legal teams. Office spaces generally.

"Of course that raises the question of whether public space should be used for storing private property."

Very TRUE - and what takes up 95% of that public space right now in Galway City, it ain't scooters! it ain't bicycles! It ain't motorcycles ......its so bloody obvious that people just do NOT see it anymore; yet it is all around us.

Scooters bicycles & motorcycles and buses are all vastly more efficient in every way.

A road or a street is a public space. Let us use those most cost effectively and efficiently for the public good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or they could just walk their legs using the footpaths that already exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How would making their journeys take longer help?

Why do you think the units became "no longer habitable"?

Some upstairs space is used for storage. Much isn't. I'm sitting in a very comfortable above-shop apartment right now. Part of what makes it habitable is being some distance from the roar of the pedestrianised area.

And as for the Eyre Square centre townhouses having no road access: you think that the lads carried the scaffolding that's around them right now up from Merchant's Rd by hand? T'feck they did. There's vehicle access to complex entries in Whitehall and also Ball-alley Lane, and during delivery-hours, to the Edward Square entrance too. You're right that there's no allocated car parking. But there are car-parks available for rent, and residents who use rental cars occasionally can buy visitor-tickets to use in surrounding streets.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

Rules on rental standards, bans on bedsits, there are massive amounts of rental legislation being passed year on year, all of which are discouraging small landlords from letting at all. There is currently an exodus of landlords from the market such is the risk associated with letting property in this country.

If as you say its all due to pedestrianisation, then why do we see the exact same thing above shopfronts all over the country? Above shopfront units are majority vacant nationwide, it has nothing to do with pedestrianisation.

Above-shop apartments in Galway city are generally occupied - except in the pedestrianised areas.

How do you explain that difference?

Firstly most of the units above ground level in pedestrianised streets arent even apartments - down quay street its bars, hotels and hostels, for the rest its mostly offices. Of the vacant units left, there are minority of apartments, some are quite expensive airbnbs, others are vacant due to owners not putting in the effort to renovate and list. There are no apartments that are unoccupied because of a lack of demand - if there were, you could show me some apartment listings that cannot find any occupiers - but you cant, because these vacants are not available to be let.

In the middle of a housing crisis you think people would be so picky as to refuse apartments in the literal center of galway because they dont like pedestrianisation - its delusional, and there is no evidence to back this position up.

Of the apartment blocks in and around the city center, most have little to no car parking even if there is "car access" at street level, yet these developments have near 100% occupancy rates. I know many people living in various developments on Dominick Street, Augustine, Merchants Road & the docks and none of them have cars, they dont need to as they live so central.

This situation you've concocted about pedestrianisation scaring people away exists solely in your own head.

• Advertisement

"

Councillors passed a motion on a vote of 11-4 to evaluate permeability in district centres, neighbourhood centres and schools in the context of the ’15 Minute City Concept’ (where most services can be accessed by cyclists/pedestrians within a 15-minute time range).

"

I presume 3 out of the 4 are the EX-PD's now Independents?

I wish those 3 were more pragmatic and progressive. Just like there former Party leader who is now a TD in East Galway, to late for leopards to change there spots, will have to wait for them to retire. A NEW generation of politicians are needed for the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 veloci

These council motions are so soft. Voting to evaluate the option of possibly considering doing something, maybe.

It allows them later on to vote against proposals "because they were never made aware of the exact details" even though they are made aware of the details once they have been determined.

It's exactly what they did in Salthill to great effect resulting in little to no young kids being able to cycle safely there.

Carraroe to Ballinasloe to Claremorris sounds ... interesting.

Ballinrobe in the image which would make more sense, connecting to the railway station presumably.

"In Galway, mobile cameras will be operating on the R446 at Ballinalsoe, where there have been two serious collisions according to Gardaí.

The other new speed camera location in Galway is on the R364 regional road to the north and south of Kilkerrin, where there have been two collisions lately."

• Advertisement

I know there are places around the world where HGV's are already banned or are planning to be banned as they use last-mile depots instead.

There was talk of this previously for Galway and it was one of the things that was going to be done to protect the new surfaces on Shop st so I'm not sure why this has been so roundly rejected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement