Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Charles Hoskinson is a little suspicious of the upgrade schedule, reckons it could take up to 2 years to complete.

Ok, he is competition but still worth a listen to.

All the same, nice to see some alts performing well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. Things can have intrinsic value. You are getting yourself confused. No need for nihilistic ranting.

Suppose you buy a commemorative gold coin of the bigliest President ever. They are selling for $1000 dollars. And who wouldn't want to pay for such a handsome relief with such fabulous hair?

The intrinsic value of that coin will be the value of the gold in it. It might be $100. The intrinsic value isn't zero because fiat blah blah. That isn't what people are talking about when they say intrinsic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I do feel like we tickled the bottom, will get a little rise now and then drop again before the long road back.

Talks of interest rise on one hand and another round of money printing on the other makes it difficult to tell what will actually happen.

I'm not selling, I'm not buying either. Have all my investing done for the moment.

Now try that with a currency

"Suppose you have a 100 Euro note, it is selling for 100 Euro, the intrinsic value in it is the cost of the paper, for arguments sake lets say 50c"

Suppose you have one Bitcoin, it is selling for 23,526 USD, the intrinsic value in it is the cost to produce/maintain one BTC.

Intrinsic value doesn't really hold when it comes to currency, because the representation of the currency only indicates an agreed value between two or more parties, we could use matchsticks or lollipops, same thing if we all agree they represent 50 Euros.

So the intrinsic argument doesn't really hold for a currency, in its most basic meaning then the intrinsic value of a currency is what it represents, therefore 100 Euro has intrinsic value of 100 Euro, and one Bitcoin has intrinsic value of 23,526 USD

Bitcoin isn't a currency. I think that particular claim was a few iterations ago - even before it morphed into a "hedge for inflation"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Absolute rubbish. You clearly have no idea how pension funds are regulated, constructed, managed nor the performance rates. And in the case of PAYG pensions you are not even making any contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Don't waste your time with him.

1 bitcoin is worth 1 bitcoin. In the same way, 1 dollar is worth 1 dollar. It is the buying power that moves around. 1 dollar today is equal to 1 euro. A few weeks ago it was 1.20.

The value is what someone is whiling to swap you for it. As a collective we have agreed on a value but it moves all the time. There is little to no real worth in a dollar bill other than what we have all agreed it can be swapped for.

Same with bitcoin. It is only worth what someone else will swap you for it. That could be time, things or money.

But it is a currency, just because investors buy it and hold on to it doesn't mean its not a currency, it may be an asset on a companies reports, but its still a currency.

There's still hope for him, its just his perspective that is clouded, that can be fixed.

No it isn't. The only thing priced in Bitcoin is Bitcoin.

Mathematically, you can use is as a numeraire if you want, but you can also use a tin of beans as a numeraire. It doesn't make it a currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,044 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Currency value can be (and is) controlled by various factors, such as supply. It's main function is as a medium of exchange, and they work best when they are relatively stable, which is what most modern economies strive for.

Things like Bitcoin, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin ABC, Bitcoin diamond etc are artificially scarce tokens that people gamble/speculate on, a bit like baseball trading cards. They have more in common with speculative assets, which is what they compete with, rather than currencies. Unfortunately at some point someone added the tag of "currency" on them, and it stuck.

I agree with your earlier post about the market, I think it will go up for awhile, then gravity will set back in. We'll see though, this new wave bought in so many new investors it's hard to tell if any small rise won't develop into something larger. Maybe we won't have 3 year bear markets any more, who knows.

Nothing is priced in Bitcoin because it doesn't have a country of origin, not because its not a currency. The concept of cryptocurrencies doesn't take countries into account, it therefore relies on adoption. When gold and salt were first introduced as currencies they didn't have anything priced in them either, the currency has always preceded the pricing.

Ok, you can also adopt a tin of beans, but you have to ask yourself what is a currency, and have to distinguish between currency in a traditional sense, and cryptocurrencies. I would agree a morphing has taken place, but it is still a currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I used it as one. I got into bitcoin because something I wanted to buy at the time was 20% cheaper if one paid in bitcoin, so I got some for a lark. Then I noticed that my leftover BTC was suddenly worth a lot more than I had paid for it, whereas the real money I had sitting in an AIB account was losing value.

Back in the day I remember seeing a property in up state New York for sale for bitcoin. Don't know if they found a buyer for a lot of trees on a random block of land, presumably without services.

There are plenty of 6-figure jobs available up the IFSC even if you don't want to leave Ireland.

There is a difference between something being priced in Bitcoin, and Bitcoin being accepted as payment. I am sure there are some gimmicks, but that's mainly the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I hope too many didn't **** the bed and sell ETH in the past month or so.

I already have a job and get homesick very easily.

Try to focus here Donald, if we can help you to understand then maybe there is still hope for you to get in now whilst we are at the bottom.

There are other financial institutions with offices spread around the country too. Not as well paid as Dublin, but well paid compared to the average salary. Plenty of firms have remote working positions now since Covid. It is actually common among the "crypto" firms. I get the odd message about them on Linkedin. If you want links I can give you a few. You can put your knowledge of the markets to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,044 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Musk buys Bitcoin and states he won't sell: "Mainstream adoption", "This is just the beginning", "It's a store of wealth"

Musk sells Bitcoin: "Paper hands", "Get the trash out of crypto", "This is good for Bitcoin"

It's like a never-ending parody of itself at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No, we're not excited yet........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭BrandonBay86

I am

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What caused RAD to rise it is up over 130%?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nice little pump today on top of the Fed news

Oops, I think I jinxed it

market cap has been steady at 1T recently, if the US gdp report doesn't do much damage then pushing upwards from here would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The irony of the Crypto world looking for regulation. I thought this was the whole point of crypto. It operated outside of state regulation.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Don't post that shite!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I joked about becoming a multi million owner of shiba inu a while back, but look who's laughing now. My €20 investment is now worth €30, boom, retirement is in my sights. Should have put in €200 or €2000, but sure at the price at the time, I just expected it to keep dropping tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm long term bullish, but we're breaking to 10 - 14K this winter. Things are going to go to ****.

Advertisement