Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But look at the numbers in citywest alone , which only recently became a hub for Ukrainians travelling here ,it's already full but yet out of 700+ people currently staying there only something like 140/50 are actually from Ukraine,the vast majority are African and Asian males ,I've seen the bus loads arriving regularly to citywest , very few are Ukrainian, so we're opening Hubs for Ukrainians fleeing the war but yet Ukrainians are being sent to live in tents, while other Nationals are getting accomodation that was meant for Ukrainians ,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I wouldn't mind the actual photos referred to , where so set up , the beds looked like they were posing 😁 either housekeeping staff were on hand or the photographer made up the beds to get the right shot 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What matters is people on here stating the media were there , when they were camped outside and not actually inside Gormanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It looks that way to me too. It's like a health minister visiting a hospital and all the patients on trolleys suddenly disappear.

It only actual mattered to someone who tried to twist and turn a correct post stating NO MEDIA were permitted access to the campsite , and then when on to be quite silly

• Advertisement

I actually am very skeptical about the information being released . The City West has been a designated venue for Ukrainian refugees for accommodation and processing purposes for a while now . The others you referred to , were invited to Ireland by the last Government, they may have ended up in the City west but only briefly (there is some confusion over this)

I personally believe there's well over 1000 currently in the City West complex and others have reported the convention centre (separate from hotel) and not suitable for long term accommodation use , has had camp beds put in it over the past week. My guess , just a a guess is the other asylum seekers were actually put in convention centre, not the Hotel.

In addition there's now an enormous tent structure attached to the Hotel , who ends up there is a mystery. It's looking like a Reguee Lego Land at the moment 😏

Sure didn't MM happily visit a community hall in Cork, all smiles , lots of media present, nothing to hide there, they all looked positively delighted with each other.

I can see a number of reason's, Government will not to permit Media into Gormanstown, and most people know the reasons, full well 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There is nothing briefly about it ,the majority of people currently in citywest aren't Ukrainian and the same is being reported elsewhere ,

This idea these are Somalis invited by a previous government doesn't add up ,if that was the case why are they not releasing the figures of those arriving here and not from Ukraine,.

Can anyone explain the idea of people who have already been granted asylum in safe Eu states coming here to claim asylum again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

Whoever owns the Citywest hotel must have their own seat at the cabinet table - booked up for covid and now this. Some money handed over I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

How does saying that they can do to another country improve things? It is fine to say that only 20% of Ukraine is affected, but there was significant destruction beyond that in areas like Bucha that the Russians withdrew from and in places they have hit with missiles. I doubt if there is an a load of vacant property in safer parts of Ukraine. Is there another country between here and Ukraine with a load of accommodation? If there is, then of course at EU level they should be directed there, but there is no point (other than Xenophobia) in saying that they should live in a tent somewhere else instead of a tent in Meath. If we take our share then here there are some people to help (army etc) and at least there are jobs for people here.

Africa and Asia are huge continents and there is a strong case that people from there should not be coming to a smaller continent like Europe, but within Europe it is reasonable for everyone to help Ukrainians in the current situation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My local University is full of Ukrainian people currently in their campus student accommodation.

the University has an accommodation website that lets students know how to apply for campus accommodation , rules and regulations, the ballot, decision dates, facilities etc…I’ve looked at it and sent it on to a family member a couple of years back so I’m familiar with it.

this website hasn’t been updated, no information or mention on any ballot for the new upcoming college year, just historical info… all updates timestamped for 15 months ago or thereabouts..

so I’m guessing that no students are being facilitated….on campus…

That was of checking 3 days ago but now the website as I look now is down … maybe it’s getting updated but with college starting in 5 and a half weeks it’s a bit short notice… I’d be thinking 90% of incoming students at the end of July usually would have attained or in the final stage process of attaining accommodation places….

There was no info on a ballot for 22/23. :( so what the fûck are students to do ? I’d say locally people wont be quick with covid still a thing, all be it a less dangerous for the most part thing, to be housing young people coming from busy educational and social settings…..so, you’d like to study nursing and you are from Mayo, Cork, Etc…. ? Come to Dublin ? Good luck with that…

I'm afraid not and this has aso been reported and discussed previously on the Thread .

The Majority of those actually fully resident, not temporarily being accommodated are Ukrainian Refugees, I've direct knowledge of this .

Honestly, it's really not that important, it's a mess regardless who's there and there's far more in this venue than is being reported .

Let's not forget, not only has the City west confirmed its full , so has government. There are 764 rooms in this venue and at most 10% may not be use , maintenance etc , at a minimum of 2 per room , bigger family rooms may have more there's massive capacity but it's not , nor was it ever realistically going to be enough.

As Moderators have said , we need to focus on the Ukrainian Refugee Crisis, Not Asylum Seekers , so i want to be careful, not to go off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I just don't see where the State is going to find 1200 beds a week the longer this continues.

And on top of that, finding room for the students they've displaced too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I've said it before, chair of tetrarch capital (citywest owners) is also the chair of Unicef Ireland who are constantly in the media looking for donations, maybe thats ok, I'm not that well up on business affairs but seems like a bit of a conflict to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is only so much you can do stop a country mismanaging itself. An invasion is a different thing entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’ll be dining out on that for the rest of his life, telling them all about his trip to the Ukraine to save the world in the old folks home about 17 times a week… “ here did I ever tell you about the time I… “ the vast majority of people who do generous turns and what not do it, get on with it and stfu about it.

should he be arrested ? We need to find a way to certainly stop this massive BS influx. The country cannot cope.

and the demographics of young Ukrainian people arriving is concerning… around 300 applications from young Ukrainians now to study at third level colleges here, that’s an old number from June though. Are these people not supposed to be fighting, defending their country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I can tell you one thing- the Irish students and their crucified families are very low on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

Not really localized, the bombings are happening everywhere across the country.

If you wish refugees to go back (most of them are actually dreaming of going back) - talk with your TDs and press EU/NATO for real military intervention. In the end, EU allowed this to happen (buying russian resources for insane money and ignoring corruption and growing russian fascism), and it will pay the price for that mistake anyway. Military intervention will end war the same day it is announced (and there will be no nuclear response) and will definitely be cheaper. Ignoring the problem may cause the same happen here - russian fascists are openly talking that they are seeking world dominance and one big united Russia "from Lisbon to Vladivostok". Not like they actually have enough resources for that though but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen, they wish to achieve that slowly. First Ukraine, then Baltic countries, then Poland, and then, slowly, "up to Lisbon"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The bottom line here is that we are not responsible for Putin's invasion and we have already done our part - both indirectly through condemnation at political/diplomatic levels and directly through foreign aid AND directly supporting refugees here in Ireland.

But there are absolute limits to what we can do. We are a small island off the coast of Europe with a lot of long-standing domestic issues and challenges around the provision of core services to the natives and existing population - that's BEFORE our leaders have landed another 43,000 (and rising!!) people who are wholly dependent on those services as well.

On the jobs piece... this is supposed to be a temporary refuge from war, not a long term resettlement or chance at a better life. As soon as it is safe to return (which is largely is - others have posted examples of hotels in the west being available to book) they should be going back, OR applying for a more long-term residency under the same criteria and supports as any other economic migrant.

You can call it xenophobic or whatever you want - it's isn't, and nor does it change that reality.

The country is full. We've done and will continue to do our part, but the free-for-all needs to end IMMEDIATELY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The only ones responsible for the current situation is Putin and Russia. Ukraine is not part of the EU and the EU has no obligations there beyond obviously wanting to see stability and peace in the region. Realpolitik and economic necessity will always trump ideology so that answers your point on the EU somehow being complicit - and I'm no fan of the EU in general.

Your idea of encouraging direct NATO intervention would absolutely lead to escalation. You've said it yourself, Russia has visions of restoring and expanding its old empire. They're not going to back down at this point. Putin is not at all concerned about using inferior equipment but superior numbers to grind down the enemy through attrition and I could very easily see it going nuclear (tactical nukes initially). Again the Russians are thinking longer term and bigger picture here.

It's not a road anyone needs to go down.

There is a girl in Galway at this too. I heard her on the radio a while back going over to the Polish border and bringing Ukranians back and begging for accommodation on Facebook. Beggars belief why you would bring people who are safely out of Ukraine back to Ireland when there is such a shortage of accommodation here already.

Where to start 🤔

You appear to living in some sort of fantastical land or make believe. I'll focus on your first few points, the rest just utterly bewildering stuff.

As has been repeatedly discussed on many, many occasions throughout this Thread, NOT everywhere is being bombed. Strategic locations have been targeted by the Russians, perhaps no more than a few locations outside the 20% of this vast country experiencing actual military activities and fighting. Don't take mine or others word for it, Watch the news occasionally.

Wishing refugees to go back was not infact the vast Majority View at the start of this fiasco, it's what's being occurring since April that's disgusted and angered people, your coming to the party a little late I'm afraid, the virtue signalling boat has long sailed.

Had you being following the Thread, many people have infact contacted, not just TD'S but government departments and Ministers, so your petulant lecture in this regard is lost on many I'm afraid,, but perhaps you've not actually noticed few politicians have been speaking up, they got savaged when they did , but even that is changing and TD'S will be getting a tongue lashing from constituents over the next 2 months.

I'm afraid we've heard of very few Ukrainian refugees dreaming of a return home, apart from the occasional fluff pieces we see on Irish media, but there's plenty that don't have to don't have to Dream, they are flying back regularly for weekend Jollys, god bless them.

You have some extraordinarily vivid ideas on how global Politics works, how Nato and EU leadership operates and whilst I agree the lot of them are Muppets, your idea of war games are quite incredible and farfetched. May I suggest purchasing a few sets of these to help with your war Strategy planning, let us know how you get on 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

While I agree that they are low on the priority list, the students will soon become a very visible problem for the government.

There is a huge difference between expensive student accommodation, which many just suck up and pay and completely unavailable student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

There still will be Ukranians in student accommodation when the new term starts. We will be told how good elearning is for the students etc

Post edited by Irelandsnumberone on

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

When, in your view, did Putin invade The Ukraine precisely? Was it in 2014,which barely registered in the media here or in February of this year, when our economies began to suffer?

You don't understand Putin's psychology. I strongly believe that the intervention would stop the war immediately. The only way to stop the "restoration of empire" is to act and respond.

It's completely wrong to say that EU/West have no responsibility for the war. There was no Marshall plan for ex-USSR countries after USSR dissolution. The trade was not responsible. EU/West hosted enormous amounts of dirty russian money and EU/West politician were very happy to take Russian bribes.

They don't see bigger picture, probably you are not aware of a strange and insane mix of pseudo-science ("methodology", essentially a belief that you may shape the reality by describing it in right words) and imperialistic orthodox mysticism (Dugin) but in fact Putin is gambling, bluffing and trying to achieve a set of wrong objectives inspired by mad philosophers.

They won't use nukes. Also it's highly likely that russian nukes won't work well, I knew some students who worked for some space/rocket research institutions/factories in Russia, the actual situation there is dire. E.g. they use consumer-grade components for space circuitry, etc, etc. Also it's likely that the nukes are unmaintained.

Ukraine is not part of the EU and the EU has no obligations there beyond obviously wanting to see stability and peace in the region.

That won't work well, you may wish to start learning Russian then. It's hard, yeah, but you'll have about ten years at least.

Realpolitik and economic necessity will always trump ideology

Not really, there is no any single sane economical reason for this war to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I have a feeling I know. Musical tents and hotels. 7 days in one 7 days in another. so on.

Strategic locations, my ass. I have a lot of friends and some relatives in Ukraine. I'm hosting a Ukrainian family. Russia bombs many locations and happily targets civilian sites like malls and apartment buildings. There were/are cruise missile strikes all around the country. Of course it's hotter near the frontlines.

I'm afraid we've heard of very few Ukrainian refugees dreaming of a return home

Well, I'm hosting a family from Irpin (by the way, their apartment building was hit by Kalibr missile, I have a photo with the remnants of the missile engine), they want to go back. Almost everyone I spoke with wants to go back. By the way, they have/had property, friends and everything there. Those who stay will have to get a well-paid job here and pay taxes, so the country should win in the end.

Also most of refugees I spoke with came from places close enough to the frontlines (and even behind them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AnaB

This is it. My friend is a doctor, works in the Infectious unit. I will not name the country but plenty of refugees arrivals from real war affected territory. It’s an emergency situation in town at the moment. The new departments recently built and designated for Covid patients all now converted for Infections diseases units. There are - typhoid, cholera, syphilis, and others, she says. In Ukraine - there are dead bodies, just left on ground and birds, animals spreading it, this how it’s on war affected territory

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement