Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short barrelled rifiles/pistols

Options
  • 19-07-2022 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

So Recently I have been looking at an mp5 .22LR (pistol) and have been thinking weather it could be licensed and if I could legally attach a stock or pistol brace to it. As far as I am aware a pistol or “short arm”' is any firearm where the barrel length in under 12 inches and or the overall length is under 24 inches anything over this being considered a “long arm” I believe it would be legal so long as I limit my mag capacity although I think it may be akward as I know the Garda are already very hard to deal with when getting a pistol and may not like the look of an mp5 “pistol”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Slight tweek to your definition. It's barrel OR overall length. Should make it easier to qualify as a short arm.

“short firearms” means firearms either with a barrel not longer than 30 centimetres or whose overall length (including the length of any detachable component) does not exceed 60 centimetres;

Although, I think mag capacity might need tweeking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They gained notoriety here after a certain Kerry politician was seen waving one around and shooting it in his back 40 on a fly-on-the-wall TV documentary about his political family a few years ago. So you might have the "idontlikedelookodatnow!" clause to contend with too.

TBH, because of the mag restriction of either a 5-round .22 pistol or a 10-round rifle, you lose the entire "fun factor" of what this gun is supposed to be. A 20/30 round.22 plinker for popping tin cans or the like. So yes you can put a stock on a pistol here, but in this case, it's an overly large 5-round 22 "pistol" or you will need the fake silencer carbine version to make it legal as a rifle here, with 10 shots. God forbid we should have actual fun with our guns in Ireland!

Don't want to pee on your parade here...

Just make sure whoever sells you it, is also willing to service it or get it back to Germany for repairs. These are NOT built or strip like the genuine HK systems. They all have a basic .22 mechanism, covered in a clamshell cover to resemble the real gun, and they aren't great at all in the internals. It's no bother to ship them back to GSG or URMAREX for a repair or overhaul or replacement on the mainland, as they license the man over there, not the gun, so they would more than like just send you a new replacement,as they are on the cheap end of the firearms scale, relatively speaking.

But the thought of having to ship such from Ireland, getting it there, to be told, We'll ship you a new improved version with a specifically licensed gun to you here, would be the thing of nightmares.🤯

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

There was a thread a while back about a lad who got a Ruger charger pistol, the 10 inch version of the 10/22, so SBRs are definitely allowed. Like you say, they’re short firearms so there’s no legal difference between one of those MP5s and any other 22 pistol. Regarding mag capacity, you can own any capacity 22 pistol mag just restrict them before use, I can’t stress how important that is. That’s the difference between a fun day at the range and 7 years in Mountjoy for illegal possession of a restricted short firearm.

You shouldn’t have any trouble getting a license, but if AGS kick up a fuss, ring the firearms policy unit and they should set them straight. AFAIK AGS policy is to ignore the appearance restriction for practical reasons.

That being said, you could got for a long firearm version and have a 10 round capacity.

The charger is a pistol from the ground up and 100% more reliable than those GSG /Umarex yokes,not to mind you can accesorise it with everything too that goes on a 10/22.BUT you are still hamperd by the 5 round limit,and now its more fun to physically limit those mags as they are rotary mags .

Catch 22,as usual.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ruger make 5 round rotary magazines so that’s that sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 irishshooter32

Yea I agree it is akward having the 5 round limit but part of me wants to own this firearm because it cosmetically looks cool and I would love it in my collection although the rifile would be good because I can use it for hunting apply for restricted high capacity mags and a suppressor if I choose to

Knock yourself out Dude!!! ... If that's what your heart desires, go for it!👍️ Life is too short not to be doing stuff you want to do and not to shoot the guns you want.

You sure can. We’re not Canada, you can use restricted firearms for hunting. Suppressor shouldn’t be a problem if you’re using it for hunting. But as Grizzly said, go for it, despite what the guidelines say, there’s no reason you’d be refused a restricted license over a non restricted one.

It should be in either category as an unrestricted gun as the only reason it would go to a restricted capacity is if he goes over the 5 pistol/10 rifle mag capacity, along with the can. That might be a hard sell to a chief super.

If you’re doing any IPSC up North then you probably could get the restricted license no bother, provided you meet the minimum storage requirements. Not sure if that’s an option for you, but it’s always an option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement