Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog snapped at daughters friend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think posts that seek to blame child /owners miss the point.In the event your dog bites a child it could result in the dog being put down.Thats the fact of the matter.

Now you can feel better by saying he missed or there was mitigation ,or smell of other dogs etc but you have now been given a an example that your dog will snap at kids under certain circumstances and need to consider a muzzle when likely to be around kids again.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Are you for real? So if the dog bit that girls arm off it would have been on the humans? Put every aggresive dog down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Anecdotal but I have known two dogs that snapped at people, both went on to biting people and had to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I cannot honestly see how the child/teenager was wrong. She was nice to the dog - nothing in the OPs post suggests she done anything wrong. She went to pet the dog as must people would ( be it a child or adult). The dog when growling should have been put into another room.

Stopping the childs friend ( or anyone the dog doesnt like) from coming to the house is an absolutely ridiculous idea. A teenagers social circle is very important. Family and people should always be first. Anyone who puts the dog before their children really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Why was the dog in discomfort? Sounds like he was behaving aggresively for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

From the OP: “He seemed to take an instant dislike to the friend, growling at her and refusing to go near her as he normally would with visitors. The friend loves dogs and went to pet him, he growled again and snapped”

No, it is not normal to pet a dog that is growling at you. It’s a plain stupid thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

The dog was growling even though the child had done nothing. The dog took a dislike to this child for no apparent reason. Its the dog that was the problem not the child. The dog should have been removed to another room its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

But you are berating people who are advocating for reading and responding to a dogs warning signs and trying to teach the OP what do to in future? What do you believe the necessary steps are if a dogs growls or snaps at a person or child?

There seems to be two sides here. The people who are trying to educate those on dogs body language and how to respond. And those who say any dog who is not comfortable being approached/handled and responds with a growl or a snap is automatically an aggressive dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Put the dog out when new people are around it protects them from the dog and more importantly the dog from there stupidity.

And if you get a nip toughen up you ll live no need to get the dog put down people need to learn dogs arent cartoon characters that are ever friendly and instead are animals and can be unpredictable a nip might smarten some people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If a teenager is not mature enough to understand a clear warning why should the OP lock their dog outside? What other clear boundaries will that teenager decide to ignore eh?

As I said - In MY house a teenager who ignores clear warnings would not be welcome until they do learn to heed them. I would not push my dogs because some kid old enough to know better decides they have some right to go at my dogs in their own home. You are free to act differently in you home. You are not free to judge people who disagree with your opinion.

The rest of your post is really nothing more than you having a little rant because you disapprove of other people's decisions. If other people pamper their pets that is none of your business - and really has nothing to do with this thread as you have no idea whether the OP "treats their dog like it's actually people".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Unless the OP's 13 year old's friend is considerable younger than them It's safe to assume we are not talking about "young children" - we are talking about a teenager.

Yes true, but to be honest if I did not know the teenager I would be supervising them around my dog. Same with adult guests in my home. He is a nervous dog and i tell all guests he is not comfortable being approached and to ignore him unless he approaches them for affection. We are trying to counter condition him at the moment so all guests are to drop treats for him when they arrive and then ignore him. This will teach him guests mean good things and no need for fear/discomfort. If the dog is still showing signs of discomfort i give him a long lasting chew/puzzle toy and send him upstairs out of the way.

If i had a teenager in my home that was stupid enough to try and pet my dog after he growled at them, i would of course be stepping in and telling the teenager to leave the dog alone and then sending the dog to another room.

That whole post just went whoosh over your head.... didn't it. Your problem is, you are expecting a dog to behave with human logic.

The dog does not understand, and will not understand why it is being reprimanded if you punish it for giving a warning signal.

Please teach your children to be cautious approaching any dog that doesn't know them - especially on the dog's territory - which includes their humans.

The dog should have been given space. The teenager became the problem when it chose to try and pet a dog that was growling at them. The owner was the problem because they did not ensure the dogs signs were being read. They should have ensured the dog had space, and yes probably moved the dog to another room but at the very least made sure the teenager did not reach out and try to approach the dog.

Not the dogs fault - wrong done by the owner and the teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I have 3 dogs and I wont let any children near them, and they are in no way aggressive.

Dogs are unpredictable no matter what .

The suggestion that this teenager should not be allowed in the house again is so over the top that's it not even funny .

It's a dog, plain and simple and why someone cant just put dog in another room or outside for the term of the visit is beyond me.

Dogs are way too pampered

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I saw a bichon do it's best to get away from a child until it was backed into a corner despite the child being told repeatedly to leave the dog alone, the dog had enough and left the marks of its teeth on the skin of the child, the child learnt an important lesson, cried for a few minutes and got a good scolding of her mother for not doing what she was told, the dog is living a happy life, the child got over it and it was all forgotten about 10 minutes later, teach your kids to repect dogs and keep the dogs in another room and everyone is happy

You make an interesting point on dogs being pampered. I think over time, dogs try and get a bit more leaway to act and behave how they want- especially concerning food.

The love of the owners over their dog can over-ride good sound discipline.

I admit I’ve had to reverse some bad habits I’ve essentially unconsciously “trained” into my dog to do around giving him some of my food when I’m eating - it’s a huge mistake I’ve made over time and now I have to try undo this by going back to how I trained him a few years ago.

Very few people are perfect dog owners- some of the comments in this thread towards the OP are just down right rude and self righteous whilst others correctly but respectfully pointed out the error of the OPs ways- the messages are the same but the delivery is way off on some posts-it doesn’t encourage people to seek good advice in this forum when the response is so terse.

Yes, actually I am for real, and in my opinion, it would have been the humans' fault, for reasons already given.

If the teenager had been bitten, they and the owners would have had no one to blame but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

I have a Spitz who doesn't like new children due to getting beaten by his previous owners child.

Once the dog gave the warning growl they should have been separated, kids are stupid when they see a dog, my fella nipped the neighbors kid as the kid has no manners and has tormented the dog for the past year. The kid ran up behind the dog and started rubbing his back at 10pm at night on a school night. Luckily I had told the kids mother about her little **** behaviour previously so nothing came off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Off with it's head.No discussion,just do it.Try to read Nody's post and don't allow yourself a dog.

• Advertisement

Id blame the dog. The teenagers or the parents did nothing to antagonize the dog. If the dog bit the child then it would have to be put down in this scenario. Like humans some dogs are just aggresive.

Wait , the kid pet your dog? Does it get aggressive when its after 9? And then nipped at the kid?? Dog should be put down.

The teenager tried to touch a dog that was growling at them. That is antagonising a dog?? If the teenager did not approach or try to pet the dog and the dog just randomly ran at the teenager and bit them. But you do not reach out and try to touch a growling dog. And at the very least the adult in the situation should have stepped in and stopped it.

Provoking a dog, after it gives a warning and then another warning, is not a reason to put down a dog. Education on those interacting with the dog coupled with an understanding why the dog may display such a temperament and additional training if needed are the natural ways forward for this particular case.

And why was the dog growling aggressively for no reason??

Well if the dog has shown aggressive traits , i would feel unsafe to have kids around it. Why did the dog give a warning? And how was it provoked?

We don't know the reason and a dog cannot talk to tell us. They tell us they are uncomfortable with their body language and growls. It doesn't really matter why, what matters is that it gave a warning.

Also dogs have incredible bite control. If the dog wanted to bit it would have, a snap is a clear warning, it was not trying to bite or hurt it was trying to say GO AWAY.

Dogs are not toys or playthings, they are not there purely for our entertainment. They are animals with feelings and their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

Context is important. Was the dog in a corner of a room when the girl approached the dog, with no sign for the dog to "escape" from the source of discomfort, i.e. the girl? It may have felt less threatened if it was nearby an open door for example.

Look at behaviour as a means of communication rather than being the dog's innate personality or attitude. The girl put her desire to pet the dog ahead of the dog's own feelings. The dog gave numerous signals, both subtle and obvious ones so the growling and snapping as a last resort is not suprising. Hopefully a lesson to respect a dog's boundaries has been learnt from this experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

No the kid grabbed the dog from behind. Completely different from petting the dog even though the child has been told by me and other dog owners in the estate not to pet our dogs.

Some context here the kid is 6 years old, spends his day cycling a bike around the estate, throwing stones at dogs, skidding his bike at dogs. It's getting to the stage where dog owners will not walk by where this kid is playing.

Now I am not blaming the kid, it's not his fault he has no manners, can't take direction to leave dogs alone and is out on the road in his own from 8am - 10pm

The dog does not need to be put down, the kid should be rehomed as his mother obviously does not give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

Putting 'teenager' in bold letters is weird! She's a child, in anyway you look at it. Highlighting her being a teenager is is you trying to assign more blame to her because she should know better.

My 'little rant' wasn't aimed at the Op actually, because they seem fairly reasonable looking for advice. My "little rant' was aimed at the people who are suggesting punish the child and curbing their child's social interactions by not keeping the dog locked away or outside if her friends are calling over. And the whole post is perfectly relevant to the topic. People are allowed opinions, that's the nature of these types of websites. You don't like my opinion fine, no need to go on a little rant of your own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement