Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I find 710k for that D8 house absolutely astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

It seems clear becoming a systemically dangerous corporation is where a man's ambition should lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

Maybe there is something hidden in it..... But my guess its fake tactics to give the impression that the market is hot. The other houses in the area don't seem to have that level of interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It really doesn't make any sense. You could buy a bigger house in a better neighbourhood in similar condition. The extension and modernisation is no way worth the extra. It is very rare an extension will add the cost to the value of the house yet here people are paying more than the cost of the extension. Something very suspect on that price

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Isn't September a busy time for selling houses? Could be a big increase in that month given people will be back at school etc..

Reckon we will see 20-21k homes/sites for sale in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Starting to see more and more drops on myhome that don't come up in the 'Price changes' link. Could be just a re-listing (possibly with a new EA). Generally in the order of 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm looking at the auction sites on properties in Cork and they are barely over asking or under with the time running out on the listings. People definitely not jumping for any rubbish at over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

14k properties (excluding sites) were listed on Daft on 26 June.

Just passed 15k in the last hour. 1k jump in 3 weeks. Hopefully it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Would have to fall a long way before the any amount spent there would be something he'd be worried about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Talk of ECB going to discuss a 50bps hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Yep... https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/dollar-pauses-below-two-decade-peak-markets-ponder-fed-path-2022-07-19/

The ECB has flagged that it would raise rates by 25 bps at its July policy meeting to contain record high inflation, so news that it could mull a bigger move came as somewhat of a surprise to markets

Given dollar/ euro parity and the potential gas issues in Germany... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-19/germany-to-wait-until-early-next-week-to-count-russia-gas-damage ..it's mad that they done nothing to date.

It think this may be seen as the peak.... https://offr.io/property/36-bulfin-road-inchicore-dublin-8/3914

Assuming the ECB prevents hyperinflation!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Have been actively viewing and placing offers since February. Looking for the cheapest property type and have the means to go about 10% over the asking price. Stopped counting but must have viewed 30 places all over Dublin by now and offered on many of them, constantly outbid.

Some of the situations are just crazy.

The best was being in a bidding war for a number of weeks, until I got around 10% over the asking price and the others had dropped out. Then it got quiet. When I started asking what was going on, suddenly the owners are away on holiday for a week. A week later, whoops, turns out they're on holiday for 2 weeks. Eventually the EA tells me they're holding out for another 10% over the asking price.

Also saw a one bed apartment in Inchicore (Ballyfermot really, but EA's have an issue with geography when they think it'll up the price), that had an asking price of 225k and last time I checked, it was 295k! About 40sqm with a lovely view of the Heuston line thundering by your window 30 feet away.

The other side of it is watching people at viewings who are clearly in dire straits, handwriting letters to the owners and pretty much begging the EA's.

Now the ESRI is saying about 1/2 people in my age group 25-34 will still be renting in retirement!

A 'softening' market isn't going to help, a 10% drop will only bring us back to last years prices. Only a crash will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Went to view a terraced gaff in Inchicore that was listed at 495k, which was overpriced to begin with but I thought I'd take a look anyway. A nice old place with character up a quiet street. Reams of people at the open viewing, all sorts from first time buyers with kids, to retired Brits.

Bidding opened at 485k and within a day current highest bid is at 630k. Seems there's a lot of cash buyers out there as I can't imagine anyone would be getting a mortgage approved for that. Nice, quaint enough house but in the real world (i.e. pre the pandemic mega bubble) not worth anything past its asking price, let alone 3-bed-semi-in-a decent-suburb territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

As the saying goes ‘a fool and his money are easily parted’!

people have definitively bought into Inchicore / Kilmaimham being the next Stoneybatter. Crazy what the terraces on Tyrconnell road and environs are going for

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Friend selling a place- nice and unique little property in the country but near motorway and train. Not a sausage after over a month up but I really think his is a case of the price being too high. It’s up for under €400k but realistically I think it’s worth around the €350k mark.

Unless it’s in a sought after Dublin location with very limited supply I think people with a decent budget have lots of scope for shopping around.

Was this a fixer upper or already sorted? Place tell me it was done up for that kind of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

It's an older property (built for railway workers) that was well kept and in walk in condition. Nice garden. But lots of quirks about it and impossible to extend due to it having a rear access lane behind (between house and garden) that is required to be accessible for all the gaffs on the row. Small bedrooms, living room etc.

There's seemingly 2 active bidders warring over it. Bid is up to 640k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Rising fuel prices are making commuting much less viable. Formerly rough and run down inner suburbs in Dublin are a better option for many than a long commute from a distant location.

• Advertisement

That is true. This would be 90 mins from Dublin- basically you would have to drive every where, even for school or basic shop

There is a massive difference between living out of county Dublin and living in the suburbs. Living in a rough area in Dublin compared to a quite suburb is different again. You are going to have to commute from there. I worked in the area and it is actually a fair distance from the city centre and public transport is not that great. Many of the women working with me would not go to the local shops on their own. There is a lot drug addicts in the area. Seeing the parents picking up the kids at the local primary school doesn't look like parents of the year material.

For the money being paid here there are many better options as close to the city with bigger better properties. Marino is a lot nicer as an example add an extra 10mins on the commute and the options are better again.

Somebody see value in it but I still want to see what is actually paid when it is sold. It seems ridiculously expensive to me. You could buy a similar basic property and spend €100k on it and save at least €150k without breaking a sweat in the likes of Donnycarney and have better transport and local facilities

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm nearly done with a city centre house purchase, and tbh the streets are dirty and it looks grim to be outside but it's quiet, lovely inside and it means no car or even public transport mostly. The transport savings are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

I wonder, and I wouldn't be surprised at all, are the bidders for the Inchicore house are the council and a AHB, bidding stupid money against each other to let it out for a song.

That is wild speculation and assumes there is no checks and balances. Considering a council would have to rip out the kitchen due to their own policies they are aware of costs and not paying high prices for expensive kitchens in a house that will need to be gutted. No investor would buy this as there is much better value. Wait and see what it actually sells for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

New Zealand house prices fell the most in 13 years in the second quarter as the central bank raised interest rates aggressively to curb inflation.

Prices declined 2.3% in the three months through June, CoreLogic New Zealand said Tuesday in Wellington. That’s the biggest quarterly drop since early 2009, when the economy was in recession due to the global financial crisis. Prices fell for a third straight month, while the annual gain of 12.4% was the lowest since late 2020. 

Coming soon to Ireland. Once off houses are already falling fast in Wicklow,Kildare,Meath etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Coming soon to Ireland. Once off houses are already falling fast in Wicklow,Kildare,Meath etc.

How do you know this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Don’t think your one off house thing is correct at all. Restrictive planning laws incoming are going to make one off rural houses demand a premium for people wanting to live in the countryside.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

incoming???

its becoming more and more difficult every single year to get planning for a one off house since the introduction of the Sustainable rural housing guidelines back in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I think I know the house. When I went to see it, I had to leave the car down the road because the back lane was filled with craters. hahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement