Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Same here at Dunshaughlin. Very warm sun now temperature 26C. The much higher humidity levels makes it feel at least 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Much cooler in the West today. 10.0 difference between East and West.

18⁰ NE Galway. I'm much more able for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That Atlantic air drifting into the west looks very cool. Temperatures in Mayo at the moment are the coldest anywhere in Europe outside of artic regions of Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Horrible. Just the thoughts of it. Why can’t they just keep that over in the west and never move east of the Shannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Years ago when we were forecasted to get a heatwave we would always get at least 2 weeks or more...these days a so called heatwave lasts barely a day or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This was never forecast as a Heatwave which requires 5 consecutive says of 25ºc. The media might have called it one erroneously though. This wasn't the same kind of 'Heatwave' as we usually get either. The 2 week-3 month 'Heatwaves' we've gotten in the past are when a High Pressure system settles/gets stuck over us for a few weeks/months and its homegrown heat so to speak that slowly builds from the Summer sunlight hitting and heating Irish soil and airmass thats locked in over us by the high pressure. This weekends event was a Spanish Plume IIRC. A strong low pressure system off Iberia that spins anti-clockwise kind of grabbed and dragged hot North African air and slingshot it up through the Bay of Biscay and France towards us. Usually a Spanish plume is flung further eastwards and France/Germany and the Low Countries and the SE UK are in the firing line. This time we got lucky in the positioning of the Low of Iberia and it Flung the plume more in our direction than it usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

What about last yr? Decent heatwave last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

What about 2018 only 4 years ago? That was pretty long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The longest official heatwave on record in actual fact. 18 consecutive days of 25C or more at Kilkenny (Greenshill).

The under-appreciation (or forgetting how good it was for warm, dry and sunny up to mid-July) for 2018 I've seen in the past week is mad. May to July 2018 was a gem of a period. After mid-July, it did go down the tubes somewhat especially in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

2018 was easily the best summer we've had since 1995 for me. I was still at school back then so too young to fully appreciate and compare them but I guess the fact 95 was more at the height of summer makes it better overall.

2018 was front loaded and from what I recall August was it's usual washout self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

I agree Donegal storm, don't think summer 2018 will ever be beaten as best summer for me.

Might not have been top temperatures everyday but we had weeks and weeks of gin blue skies and sunshine it was amazing.

The summer of 2022 is looking like it will be a summer of temperatures see sawing up and down, some days will be cool, most of them mild to warm and a few hot days thrown into the mix. Unsure of how August will go but i'm expecting it to be not as poor as June but very unlikely to be as good as this July. The remaining 11 days of July may still produce several days of low to mid twenties. A warm weekend to come particularly in southern and eastern areas but that low pressure moving in from the west will have to be watched as it could affect all of Ireland and reintroducing cooler air for next week. Final days of July and opening days of August may have another warm or very warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Strange "heavy drizzle" falling here in D.16. Almost like the weather gods felt sorry for us and turned the sprinklers on.

Todays max tempertures, huge contrast between Leinster and the rest of the country where the Atlantic air already established since this morning. Mayo and parts of Galway particularly chilly today compared to everywhere else. The Shetland islands got close to 23C today, not often they see temperatures above 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I think most people are just extremely forgetful on what weather we experience here. You could get 2 driest months on record in a row in Dublin for e.g, but it rains for 3 days in a row and it's like a factory reset and people tell ya it rains EVERYDAY. The ongoing/current hot spells always seem to have a 'woah best summer weather of my life' vibe to them as they are happening.

Looking at your compilation of 30c days reached by year from the other day, heck even I forgot how good that 2013 spell was. 7 days that 30c was reached on this island! Even hotter than 2018, though 2018 was more prolonged. Two unreal summer spells, along with last year year too. My traditional home station, Athy (Chanterlands) saw a 6 day period of 30.0, 29.8, 29.8, 29.8, 30.0 and 30.8c in July 2021. I'll be very interested in what this site posts for yesterday. Athy is practically a small valley region in south Kildare with higher land all round. I remember in 2010 after the first easterly spell, and the cold pooled in my area and we had continued ice days and total snow cover while areas a 10 minute drive away had huge thaw and temperatures above freezing. So we do get some interesting stats out of there. The barrow basin triangle around this south Kildare region also on a few occasions recently have done really well out of frontal snows that fell as rain in many other parts. That Dec 2017 episode and 2 more recently but I don't do dates like you Mr Bruen.

I also believe the Athy station posted the joint highest Irish temperature in 2011, a non exceptional year. Was only a 26.0c reading. But I always go back to check on Athy and the likes of Greenshill in Kilkenny when the data comes online 2 or 3 months down the line. Two fine hot stations to check out. Some similarities for Athy with Kilkenny in topography too, nicely snuggled with higher ground surrounding them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There's a very cooling wind blowing into my bedroom now, and it's such a welcome change from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rain in Galway now. Much needed to be honest.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain in Sligo seems to be very bitty the past few weeks. I see Met Office said the air over the British Isles is so dry that even some thunderstorms are dissipating. Even though this Summer has been freezing here bar the weekend and Monday no large rainfall amounts are getting through. It mists it stops and mists again. Even on those 3 dark days a week ago where it misted most of the time our total rain was 8mm! Wev had 22mm of rain in Sligo in July in 20 days. June was much the same before we got 50mm in the final week.

So Summer 2022 continues cool cloudy windy misty. One short hot spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Anyone know if this is the end of our sunmmer?

Or is there any potential for some nice weather again

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

It has turned out to be a beautiful afternoon on the west coast, blue skies and feeling very warm, even with the NW breeze which isn't as strong as forecast.

• Advertisement

Based on the usual drivers/teleconnections used to look for signs in the long range (but as ever unreliable), there is the chance of the Azores high making a move again towards us by the second week of August. However, so much can go wrong or change. Until then, more normal changeable Irish summer affair really.

Though still no sign of significant rain, to the dismay of those in the southeast. Very dry outlook to August 1st there on latest GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Southwest Mayo

Nice one. Thanks!

at least the rain is low, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep we get enough rain as it is. I’m sure we’ll get plenty in Autumn and winter so no need to worry.

Damn, hadn't realised just how dry this July has been to date.

Shannon Apt: 5.0mm

Aldergrove: 5.2mm

Sherkin Island: 5.7mm

Dublin Airport: 5.7mm

Claremorris: 6.7mm

Belmullet: 9.0mm

Odiham in England is currently on 0.0mm. Even Tiree in Scotland is apparently on 0.4mm.

The next 10 day period is looking fairly wet and cool for western and north-western areas. Southern and eastern areas not much better, a little warmer and dryer temperatures around average, similar to the final week of June/first week of July. Sunshine looks very limited over the next 1 to 2 weeks. However there is a chance the Azores will make a move at some point and could be as early as 10 days time.

Today was like 90 95% of days this summer, completely overcast. Far from the wettest summer i have seen but feels like the dullest. No weather station close to me records sunshine, finner is on the coast and gets a good bit more so not much use with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

9.8mm here in south Laois. (8.8mm of this fell on July 1st).

114.4mm since June 1st (June 24th accounted for a whopping 33.6mm of this due to a thunderstorm).

June 25th 11.4mm

June 29th 11.1mm

June 2nd 10.6mm

July 1st 8.8mm

are the top 5 wettest summer 2022 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

22.6mm in Sligo this July.

The rain at weekend will probably be the majority if the rain we get maybe even in the next month. Even that has been downgraded in Sligo from 23mm in 2 days to 13mm.

The Southeast is heading for severe drought by Irish standards if you ask me. The NW which is the wettest forecast place will just about have normal rain in the next week but then below normal again.

SMD of 50 to 75mm in Leinster. Will be 100mm by August at this rate with dead parched grass everywhere. However in NW only 20mm of rain has made the grass green but I still see yellow patches.

104mm of rain in June and July to date so overall Summer rainfall so far in Sligo is 70 percent of normal

Sun is about 50 per cent of normal

Wind 1000 percent!!!

Advertisement