Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The Axe/ Poker;

Some reports say an axe, some call it a small kindling axe, some say a poker, some say kept by the fire, some say outside the back door.

The French newspaper 'Liberation' report on 30th;

Quickly, we brought in Josephine Helen, her housekeeper for five years, ......... “Nothing was missing except a candle snuffer and some sort of cymbal."

I can't tell if they took her into the house,(Which would would have been very strange), or just interviewed her, as she was the one the Gardai took around the house on the 24th to see if anything was out of place. Remember Josie's words were interpreted by the reporter and in turn re-interpreted by Google, so if you want, hunt around an English- French/French-English dictionary and figure out what she said. Also this was 6/7 days after the murder, so forensics may have started bagging up stuff in the house. I believe they took the kitchen table, her diaries, her bags and other stuff eventually.

The diaries,

were not diaries as in "dear diary" daily musings type diaries. The French called them journals, basically a Filofax (for those old enough to remember) Dates, times, appointments, flights etc . Nothing about Ian Bailey in there. The Gardai did not hand them over to the French investigators hence, "missing". (suited their agenda ?) They did resurface later, about 2010 I think, re-examined and nothing was found to point to any suspect.

The wine bottle;

If it's the expensive bottle of wine found in the ditch a km. away 3 months after the murder, like the gate and other stuff missing it's a shambles alright.

If it's the bottle of Champagne Bailey says was on the kitchen table, I believe he's the only one mentions this. He was allowed up to Alfie's on the 26th but he was not allowed anywhere near the house, the photos of him peering through the window were much later. As a journalist he would have quized Alfie. Alfie had gone to Sophie's house to check on her or alert her before he even rang the Gardai, so you'd assume he would have peered through the windows when he got no answer, so maybe there was a Champagne bottle that later was missing.

All the above is from other reports and articles I've read, I don't have links other than the French 'Liberation' ;

The translation is a bit iffy and a strange bit of duplication in a place.

The "special correspondent " appears to be a German woman .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭tibruit

Marie likes to swing what ever way the wind is blowing. She named Bailey for the Gardaí, swung the other way when it looked like Bailey might get a libel payday and now she is keeping Jim Sheridan busy. It seems to me that she is a lot like Bailey. She craves attention and isn`t too worried if it is positive or negative.

Initially she contacted Gardaí a couple of days after the murder and told them Sophie had been in her shop and there was a man across the the street. She saw the same man thumbing a lift on the Airhill Road the next morning. She later contacted them anonymously and told them about seeing a man at Kealfada bridge.

One problem for Bailey is that he was in the village around the time Sophie visited Marie`s shop. A bigger problem for him is that he was also clearly on the Airhill road the next morning. Separate witnesses say he left the party house early before returning a while later. The West Cork people asked him specifically if he left the party house to try to get a lift home. His reply was "I don`t know". The Gardaí didn`t know that Bailey had been on the road that morning until a couple of weeks after Marie made her statement. Marie didn`t know Bailey at all at the time.

It would be interesting to get a handle on Marie`s hubby. Is he the subordinate lapdog type who is prepared to live with his wife having late night trysts with an ex or is he a stronger character who knows Marie is a bit nutty and actually never left the house at all on the night of the murder.

Marie was either out and about with her mystery man on the night in question or she made that bit up because she got a bit giddy and wanted her shop and Airhill Road man to be the likely killer. This would make Marie the star witness because she never intended for Fiona to be nailed down.

I used to accept the Kealfada sighting was real, but as Marie`s personality and behaviour has become more apparent in recent years I`m now more inclined to think that she was tucked up with her hot water bottle that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I would not consider Marie Farrell serious. However if she would name the name of the man she was with, and he would corroborate the story of having seen a man at a certain time at Kaelfada bridge, than I would say, we have at least something. But I do not think Bailey could ever have been identified in darkness from a car at that time of the night, nor would it prove Bailey was the murderer or at the murder site. It would only prove that Bailey was out and not at the studio.

Regarding Kaelfada bridge, besides Marie Farrell, wasn`t there another man stating he heard noises coming potentially from Sophie`s house?.

As far as I know he stated the noise was possibly foxes or animals, but could also be human?

The time was sometime at night, or in the early morning? This also raises the question, if this guy did hear something, why didn`t Alfie and Shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Wasnt her husband arrested over an assualt & one of the reasons he managed to get away with it was down to Marie helping the gards with their 'investigation' so a bit of a catch 22 situation for him. He definitely wouldn't strike me as the weak subordinate type but Id make it 50/50 as to whether Marie was where she said she was that night. Without doubt, she's one of the main reasons this crime hasnt been solved imo. If I had my way, she'd be up for perjury & wasting garda time.

The boots that Sophie were wearing is relevant imo, she had enough time to put them on and a jacket so that rules out someone gaining access to the property while she was in the house before the murder, it also points away from someone knocking on the door & her going down answering it as would she not just come down in her socks or slippers then & why the jacket. She definitely was in the bed at some stage as it had been slept in also.

So she must have seen someone or something down at the gate or outside & left the house of her own accord. Alfie lyons leaving the gate open again, Leo Bolger or one of his 'colleagues' going in or out, a senior gard in the locality, Ian Bailey, a man from France she knew was coming or a hitman. I dont think she was so unlucky in that she left the house at the wrong time to go to her car etc & a killer just happened to be outside. I think an important question to ask is what's her view like of the gate and the surrounding area from her house especially her bedroom. Also I think it points away from Bailey as why on earth would a woman leave the house in the middle of the night to go down to some randomer drunk. She definitely had to have either known someone was coming in advance, saw something that pissed her off again like the gate being left open or saw someone like a gard.

Do we know why she wanted the gates to be closed? Was ist about animals coming in?

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure it was down to security concerns so she was conscious of her being in a vulnerable position whilst in Cork. Not the fiery type that would come outside for any reason at all.

Yes, but neither a killer nor a rapist or a burglar would ever be put off by such a gate. And even if it was closed, he would have opened it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Yes it was about the animals, and I believe others weren’t so bothered about closing it and it caused some tension.

ive often wondered if this whole thing was over something as minor as a gate being left open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I find it interesting that baileys cuts for people to find him guilty are definitely defence marks but alphies dog bite or open wound is totally innocuous.

Another thought I had in the staircase they used speakers to see could the husband hear any screams is that possible to replicate in this case?

Myself as well. If it was over something minor, I`ve often thought that it might have been that the killer was on drugs. But then, how come the crime scene was left without any DNA, if the killer would have been on drugs?

For somebody like Sophie or the kind of person we know Sophie was, she sure was killed in an abnormally brutal way.

I`ve also often wondered, if the motive for killing was something else, regarding her work, or her husband`s work. Somebody not liking their films, from a political point of view?

Was her ex-husband from her first marriage ever considered or interviewed by police?

Or was it envy about her job or simple greed regarding her career? Somebody from way back when, even from school?

• Advertisement

Thats not a bad idea. Something they shouldve re enacted on crimeline instead of what they did. How loud if someone was screaming would it come across in Alfies house if the windows were closed or the surrounding area. I know its possible she mightnt have screamed but I think its highly likely she did

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

It would seem bizarre if that was the case, but its one of the theories that actually fits the known facts.

I wonder if that concrete block was used to prop the gate open...................?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

" find it interesting that baileys cuts for people to find him guilty are definitely defence marks but alphies dog bite or open wound is totally innocuous."

2 gardai at the scene looked at Alfie's wound, they also asked Dr O'Connor to check it and they agreed it was an old wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If she were found naked or semi-clothed, that might have been of significance. You could deduce a sexual assault may have been committed upon her. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't attach huge significance to what she was wearing. If she had been wearing a hat, anorak, jeans and boots, well, so what? You might deduce she had returned from taking a late night stroll or was about to take an early morning one. In that particular scenario, it would not make one whit of difference to the course of the investigation.

What animals though and who would have they belonged to? I don't know how different the layout of the adjacent land was in 1996. It was mid-winter so unlikely cattle or sheep were grazing or even a horse or two. It is an eerily quiet spot to visit at any time. Speaking as a man, if I were living there on my own on a December night and heard strange noises outside I would be scared shi- -ess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There were horses next door, it was reported. If there was a dog next doorit would probably bark. I know that a neighbours farm dog always barks when I open my gate. I am about 250M away too.

One thought, I have had over the years, is why would the killer have lured her outside of the house in the first place? - if that is what happened at all. Would not any murder have been less obvious and more concealed if the killing would have taken place inside of the house? I would suggest if the killer wanted to kill her inside the house, he would have known how to pick a lock or pick a window? From a security point of view the house does not strike me as very secure.

A professional hitman would have most likely done it in silence, would probably have picked her lock and overpowered her and killed her in her sleep, - maybe one or two hours after the lights went out and she was in bed. Sure, it would have been this and that, but even a professional hitman could have made the killing look like an amateur, like a rage killing. It is hard to say....

And what would have happened on the next day? Shirley doing her shopping and just driving by, not noticing anything? The caretaker coming over, knocking on the door but no answer? The killer would have had some advantage, if the body was not discovered so quickly?

The door was open anyway, if the killer was a man, he could easily have carried the body back to the house and make it look as if she was murdered inside the house. The police would then never have looked for DNA near the gates as well, they would never have had any idea that it all occurred there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What if a drunk Bailey showed up to her house. She answered the door and asked him to leave. Being a drunken' fool he started blathering on and taunting about not leaving, he asks for a drink she gives him the bottle of wine on condition that he leave now then he went down to the end of the driveway but wouldn't leave from there either so she got pissed off, possibly grabbed something to intimidate him with and in a huff marched down with the door open behind her because her only intention was to clear him off. She tells him to f*ck off home. He gets furious and swings at her, she tries to avoid it but got caught in the brambles to the side and got scratched up, he finds the stone and bashes her while she's struggling to free herself from the brambles.

She may not have even screamed loudly if it was someone known to her who was drunk. She may not have seen the blow with the stone coming if she was preoccupied freeing herself from the bramble. She may have been annoyed rather than scared not expecting this person to be so violent. He gets the bottle of wine and anything she may have brought out and maybe even goes back up to the house trying to figure out if there was anything he did by the doorway that could trace him back but then gets out of there, throws the bottle away.

IB is a text book narcist with an alcohol problem and an anger problem. He had been to Alfie's before. He definitely saw her (though he goes back and forth on ever seeing her in the flesh), he definitely would have at least heard about her. Narcists have a tendency to want to be in circles with people perceived as accomplished. The wife of a French producer. A woman who was considered artistic while Bailey considered himself artistic. Jules was a victim of his. Many abused spouses are manipulated by abusive partners. She didn't remove herself from the relationship with him for so long but that doesn't mean she really believed he was innocent. She clearly tried to cover for him and they got caught out re: her not actually seeing him until he arrived back to the main house in the morning.

Anyone else notice throughout the documentary, when IB was out and about he was usually wearing gloves...he also seemed to have numerous coats.

All this thread is, is speculation because there is no evidence other than circumstantial and the circumstantial evidence points to IB more than anyone...at least for now. The one thing we can all agree on is that Marie Farrell is a f'kin wagon!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

The circumstantial evidence points to Ian Bailey..??

How do you make that out?

He wore gloves and had numerous coats?

You're onto something there.... Didn't make that connection.

Oh Lordy.....

It could have happened this way, especially the fighting scene you have described here. However I would not agree that there is more pointing to Bailey than to anybody else. If Bailey showed up at Sophie's door it would not have been a quiet encounter. His breath of alcohol would have caused most certainly a reaction from Sophie. This would mean that Alfie and Shirley heard something, that is if they were telling the truth.

Bailey could of course have done it, but I don't think that there is more circumstantial evidence pointing to him, than to anybody else in the theories which have been mentioned here. And then there is the open and unanswered question why none of Bailey's DNA was ever found at the crime scene or on the body, especially as his cuts are supposed to have happened during the murder? Also, could Bailey cleaned up the crime scene after having had so many drinks and not missing anything at all?

Just getting to and from Sophie's would have been a challenge for Bailey, considering how much alcohol he had before, and what was his motivation for doing so? Sex? or companionship? money? maybe some freelance work? and that to be discussed at 2 or 3 or 4am in the morning? I honestly don't think that that's realistic at any stage that night, even a narcissist like Bailey would have known that this would have no real results in his favour....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I've done a drawing of Alphies dog bite if any AGS members are actively looking for new evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

😂😂 Very good. I think you are probably too artistically talented though for AGS.

Bailey volunteered a sample of his blood and DNA to the Guards, he didn't have to.

Any man that's had a few beers too many will tell you, it's not easy to recall the previous night's festivities, in fact it can be quite challenging.

Am I really sure I collected every clothes thread caught on the bryres?

Did I touch something with a bare hand?

Did I leave a foot print somewhere?

Did I drip saliva from my mouth?

Did I cough, sneeze, wretch, spit, sweat.......

Oh my God... I have a thick shock of long black hair... Did I lose a follicle?, is my hair at the scene? Even one, invisible to the naked eye, strand of hair...??

Can't remember too much, I was blotto,,,

Anyway, I'll just go down the nick and give em a sample of my blood & DNA.... Fingers crossed.

Bailey is not your man - He didn't kill Sophie.

He's an attention seeking ambulance chaser.... He's a woman beater, He's a drunk, He ain't no killer!

@tinytobe I don't think anyone cleaned up the crime scene. There was blood splatter from the rock, if the marks on Sophie came from the briars there would be no skin under the nails. The only thing possibly cleaned up would be the bottle which someone f*cked into a field fairly far away from the house. I would suggest if the bottle was present and discarded by the killer then the killer was most likely local and not an assassin. Otherwise, would you hold onto the bottle and get rid of it much further away from the crime scene? Unless you were frantic, your safe house was somewhere in the area and you knew you had to get rid of it before you get home in-case the Gardai come knocking at your door.

@flanna01 Nah, I just threw those in as my observations. The circumstantial evidence has been detailed by the podcast, documentaries and others on here.

Who's to say the killer was in the briars himself?

Cough, sneeze, wretch, spit and sweat where? Where would they collect that? The rock or the gate? Would they get samples from those in the 90s? Assume it happened early in the morning. Sophie hadn't been in Ireland long. Hour time difference with France. She may have woken up a little early, had breakfast and that eejit arrived at her door. It being deep in winter, it wouldn't have been bright until later.

He may have been wearing gloves so no worry about the bare hands. That time of year, it was pretty likely he was wearing gloves.

He could have lost hair, if living on the west coast good luck getting a strand of hair to stay anywhere on your property for more than a few minutes.

I doubt the killer planned it. Wearing gloves was likely out of necessity rather than premeditated. The killer likely got rid of the clothes he was wearing. Possibly discarded that bottle of wine which he likely drank out of but may have only handled with gloves if he wasn't allowed inside.

The footprints is an interesting point. You would think anyone would have left footprints on the grass verge to the side but seemingly there were none or at least not by the time the body was discovered.

He's a woman beater, a sadist, a narcist and a violent drunk. I would never say he is not a killer, has plenty of potential to be given his character.

Has anyone heard from those involved in filming the Sheridan documentary and the level of involvement Bailey had with its production?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

You assume because the bottle of wine was thrown in the bushes away from Sophie's house that the killer was local? I hope you're not actually serious.

The bottle of wine is very hard to work out but that logic is complete nonsense.

This is exactly, why I think Bailey didn't do it at all. He also had no motive, nothing to gain from Sophie's death, neither financial, nor sexual, nor drug related.

Post edited by tinytobe on

What are the odds of a drunken buffoon not leaving one scrap of evidence at the crime scene?

Nor the studio?

Nor his residence?

Not one item of blood stained clothing could be linked to him from the murder.

It's just so beyond the realms of possibilities...

Besides being the first person to offer his DNA to the Guards, his Partner and her daughters and friends sharing the house, seen no change in his manner or demeanor on the morning of the murder, nor the subsequent weeks, months or years since...

I can but only imagine... If I brutally slain a young Mother in cold blood, and the worlds media had invaded my village on a witch hunt, searching for the killer, using the latest technology to nail their man etc....

Would that not have a devastating effect on one's mental well being?? Trying to hold it all together..? Trying to not let the mounting pressure break you?? The paranoia about having left evidence at the crime scene?

Not only did Bailey not flinch for a second, but he headed off to the Christmas swim, reciting poetry with his un-gloved hands for all the world to see... He was in great spirits...

Not a man on the verge of a nervous break down, nor a sleep deprived dithering wreck looking over his shoulder every other minute, quite the opposite in fact.

Love him or hate him... Logically studying Baileys demeanor after the murder, he was a man doing his best to be relevant to the investigation, he wanted his neighbours to see that he was indeed the important investigative journalist that he claimed to be (aspired to be), how could he not be a part of the Country's biggest murder case right on his front door...? This was his time to shine....

The tabloids were looking for his reports, he was the hottest potential journalist of the moment, this was his shot at the big time... With an ego like Baileys, this was the opportunity of a life time... He couldn't just be a by stander, an average Joe.. Some other Fleet Street hack would steal the lime light...

I'm not saying that Bailey engineered his his own path onto the persons of interest list, but he certainly didn't resist it either.

Bailey is a very complex character... When this murder landed on his doorstep, it was a gift from the God's for Bailey's journalistic ambitions.. What should have made him, destroyed him.

In truth, he couldn't navigate his way around the reporting of a murder next door without making a complete hash of it... Let alone the manipulation of a murder scene that removed all evidence of him ever having been there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If he wasn't in the briars and was wearing gloves that would protect - how did he get these infamous scratches?

And why if he typically wore gloves, do we have all this talk of people observing his hands in the days after? It was still winter.

So you've actually removed one of the pieces of circumstantial evidence AGS relied on in their case versus Bailey.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I am often at odds to understand why there was no DNA and no further evidence found at the crime scene?

Either the killer knew that the police were so incompetent they would never collect any useable evidence or the killer was really that careful during the murder and the possible later clean up of the crime scene? In the end, I think it's unlikely the police didn't collect or were not able to collect anything in evidence at all, they must have had something, albeit very little.

However since they sent some samples over to the UK for examination, as far as I know, and still didn't find anything they could match to the killer, I would be inclined to say, it was the killer's accomplishment not to leave any evidence at all rather than the police not collecting any evidence. This would imply the killer acted carefully, experienced, and would also imply that the killing was planned, rather than unplanned, and that one regardless if the beatings to Sophie's head look unprofessional or not.

Also, Bailey would have known that at some point DNA evidence would be sent over to the UK, - he covered crime as well, and he would have known that in the UK dealing with DNA evidence was far more advanced than in Ireland.

One also needs to take into account that Bailey would have to have hiked for nearly 1 hour to get to Sophie's, and that in pretty drunken condition, and either murdered Sophie without leaving any evidence, or cleaning up the crime scene carefully, still under the influence of alcohol and then hike back and clean himself up.

It's a scenario which I see as highly unlikely and then all that effort for a murder he had nothing to gain from and a woman who was barely at her home in Ireland.

• Advertisement

you keep repeating Bailey had nothing to gain and no motive as if it were fact. you do not know that. Any killer who loses his head and kills someone ultimately does not gain. That does not stop him losing his head and killing someone. an example is the 'one punch' scenario where one punch causes someone to fall, hit their head and die, possibly a manslaughter conviction. what does the killer gain except a prison sentence?

The fact a person does not gain if they lose their head and kill someone does not mean they won't if provoked/insulted /rejected or kill in the heat of an argument.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement