Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No. Nor can you in the U.K.

Amazon offers a service known as “Prime Video Channels” that is basically a way for them to sell third party subscriptions and you can subscribe to LaLiga TV that way. However, Amazon doesn’t offer Prime Video Channels in Ireland. Now Apple does have a similar “Apple TV Channels” that is available in Ireland but LaLiga TV isn’t part of that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭mike2084

A posted on DS is wondering if there is a chance they could launch Premier Sports 3 with the transponder space of La Liga TV? I think unlikely if it's a cost cut - but would be a solution to the clashing programmes.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/101210543/#Comment_101210543

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you cannot subscribe to La Liga channel via Amazon Prime in UK?

Also could ROI viewers not watch Rugby Autumn Internationals last year via Amazon Video Channels?

You are confusing two different (if related) services.

Amazon Prime Video - a VOD streaming service that is included with Prime memberships or available for separate monthly fee. That does have Autumn Nations Series rugby on it but no LaLiga. (The rugby package is slightly different for ROI than than the U.K. - the second year of the U.K. deal includes Ireland games but the ROI deal does not

and

Prime Video Channels - a platform which, for an additional fee(s), you can subscribe to additional third party VOD services, such as Starzplay, Paramount+, and yes, LaLiga TV.

Amazon Prime Video is available in Ireland but Prime Video Channels is not. There’s no logical reason for this given Apple offers the very similar Apple TV Channels here, but I’ve learnt not to accept logic when it comes to the manner Amazon offers its services in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In theory, yes, the space is there. We don't actually know if LLTV is gone because of a price cut or not, do we? If the space is there and PS have the money there's no reason to assume they won't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Thank you for an excellent explanation. You are indeed 'the fount of all knowledge' in these matters. I'm not being facetious either.

Just think that ordinary plebs out there would struggle to understand all the nuanced differences in what channels are being offered to whom.

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Very interesting. That would be the final end of what we knew as Setanta. They’ve basically sold off their overseas operations, there is a service in Eastern Europe still trading as Setanta but no longer owned by O’Rourke/Ryan. There is an Asian Premier Sports OTT rugby service that it is unclear would form part of this sale (and I can’t see the full article for details - that’s not an invite to post it btw).

Presumably Viaplay would also launch in Ireland if this went through, their existing U.K. rights don’t appear to extend to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Dosent actually say ICDG. It just says in talks to buy premier sports limited whatever that entity owns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They say they’re doing so as means of collecting UK rights. “UK & Ireland” is mentioned once

• Advertisement

I’m not sure it actually exists. The company registered in Ireland is called “Premier Media Broadcasting Limited”. An Irish company “Premier Sports Limited” is dissolved and doesn’t seem to have had anything to do with them anyway.

There is an English company apparently still trading with that name (Premier Sports Limited) but it appears to have nothing to do with the broadcaster. At any rate Michael O’Rourke is not listed as a director.

Accodring to the BAI, the contracts for Premier 1 & 2 are actually held by “MSK Media” while PMBL are the contractors for LaLiga TV (not actually available in Ireland now) and BoxNation.

https://www.bai.ie/en/media/sites/2/dlm_uploads/2022/03/Section-71-contractors-as-of-March-2022.docx

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi guys,

sorry a bit late with questions but I want to be sure on 1 thing.

Last year I got the "Now - SPORTS EXTRA MEMBERSHIP" with an offer (once off payment) and I really enjoyed the Serie A and La Liga

This year (if they ever have a similar offer) it will be Premier league, Champions League, Europa League & Serie A (but no LA LIGA)

is that right?

The now “sports extra” includes the BT channels and the premier channels

They have the same rights next season as last season (La Liga TV wasn’t on now so with live games set to be on Premier, you’re probably better off)

It’s not clear that the ROI rights have been awarded yet, or at least the 3pm rights, I know two and a bit weeks out from the season starting you’d expect that it is but if you look at the list of the Premier League overseas broadcasters 2022-25 there’s no mention of Ireland and there was never any announcement of the ROI rights being automatically renewed like the U.K. rights, I guess we all assumed it to be the case but hasn’t been announced nor has Premier Sports announced ROI 3pms for August which would normally come very shortly after the Sky and BT picks.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2184867

Im not saying it hasn’t BTW - I’m really saying “watch this space”.

So deal done, and the Setanta story comes to an end after 32 years.

No mention of Ireland though.

Edit: Absolutely zero info about from any sources about what’s happening to the Irish operation, which is basically totally integrated with the U.K. one. Is it simply a case of yet another company using “U.K.” as shorthand for “U.K. and Ireland” or is O’Rourke hanging on to it? No doubt all will become clear once the Irish media pick up the story but for now there’s just no info.

Post edited by icdg on

Piece from RXTV. Again no mention of what happens in Ireland though.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/premier-sports-channels-to-be-rebranded-as-viaplay-takes-over

As far as I can see no Irish media outlet has even reported the story, odd when it concerns a Dublin based company with 20-odd Irish based employees which has been sold for €35m.

No doubt all will become clear in due course, right now the bigger question is what’s happening to those 3pm KOs with just a fortnight till the PL season begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Meanwhile in other M&A news, the BT/Eurosport deal has cleared all hurdles and should complete in the next few weeks.

https://wbd.com/warner-bros-discovery-and-bt-welcome-cmas-approval-of-the-bt-sport-and-eurosport-uk-joint-venture%EF%BF%BC/

Further piece from RXTV about the takeover. Premier Sports will be rebranded and also remain on TV platforms such as Sky, Virgin Media and Amazon. Once again no mention of Ireland.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/how-the-viaplay-premier-sports-deal-affects-sports-rights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

These crowd arent going to be any cheaper.

Their Basic pack is €32 a month in Sweden while the pack with Premier league is €42 or so a month.

With Premier and BT both leaving the pitch, and Viaplay and the new BT/Eurosport combo arriving at some point soon, one wonders how long the Sports Extra package will survive. Both new owners will probably be looking to move to D2C propositions, if not necessarily immediately, and cutting out the Sky middleman in the long run. Depends on how long the outgoing owners have committed them to carriage deals I guess.

Premier Sports schedule for 6th August now up and there’s a slot for a 3pm game (doesn’t say which one or even that it is FAPL - the only clue is the “ROI Only” in the description). So looks like the ROI rights have been rolled over too but the lack of any announcements in this regard is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

That could even be La Liga. Could be any 3pm game really. At least it's there and they are not geo blocking us too.

Edit: scratch that La Liga is week after

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

La Liga doesnt start until a week later.

La Liga prefers its best fixtures to be night games. The Nights of Saturday and Sunday are the best day for the big three.

But they’re contractually obliged to play at least one game at each time slot (for different regional markets)

It’s an academic argument, there isn’t any LaLiga that week, meaning it’s not possible for it to be a LaLiga game.

For now, but aren’t UK broadcasters still precluded from showing football between 2:45 and 5:15? There’s a possibility that premier could show a la Liga game as ROI only there

Yes, absolutely. My reference was to simply to the fact that LaLiga games are not being played on Saturday 6th August 2022, so it’s simply y not possible for an ROI only opt out on Saturday 6th August to be for a LaLiga fixture.

In later weeks, possibly, though unless they get a third channel in place my suspicion is that once the URC season starts there won’t be room for a LaLiga fixture in that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Still no announcements about the 3pm Premier League kick-offs?

They're leaving it very late.

Probably low possibilities of RTE or Virgin Media going for them. Would even LiveScore make a move?

Advertisement