Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog snapped at daughters friend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Well we don't know the dog was angry, we know it didn't want to be near that child/person and communicated that clearly.

But there are no guarantees with animals. What you can guarantee as an owner is that you learn the signs and body language and react appropriately when you see it to ensure nobody gets hurt.

Also what about the rest of the post. You are refusing the actually engage with anything other than: dog growls=dog bad=dog should be PTS. So incredibly closed minded. Where is the onus on the dog owner and those who want to interact with dogs to learn how to do it safely. Humans can not just go around doing what ever they please. That's not the way life works.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Humans completly do go around doing whatever they please. Did the dog not growl AND snap at the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I didn't mean you specifically, you've brought the discussion around to this by saying a perfectly healthy and rational animal should be put down, you're totally clueless, I sincerely hope you don't have pets or any animals in your life

I really am beginning to think that you are trolling. Humans can do as they please? I can walk into a lion cage in a zoo and expect not to get hurt. I can walk up to you and stand right in your face and not expect you to get annoyed and react? I can walk into my neighbours house without being invited?

The dog first growled and would not go near the teenager. The teenaged decided that they did not care the dog was uncomfortable and chose to reach out and try to pet it and then the dog snapped. When it was pushed to it. The dog did not run up to an unsuspecting child and growl and snap.

I dont know why everyones going around so aggressive on this thread. Possibly irrational dog lovers. Op asked for advice , most have given him the spiel about body language and obviously not blaming the dog , never blame the dog! And its OPs right to take that advice if he wants , what I am saying is that the dog should be watched like a hawk and any repeat of that incident which from what we know initially certainly and largely unprovoked. I would personally get rid of the dog in that scenario. Ive owned 3 dogs in my life and loved them but they never showed anything to break my trust , if they did , theyd have been turfed out. As a humans life is more important than a dogs.

• Advertisement

Im not trolling its my opinion that dogs that show a temperament like that cant be trusted. You have a different opinion. We should probably leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

I had a similar experience to what happened to the girl's friend a few years ago.

I was going into a supermarket and I saw a dog lying down at one side of the entrance. I approached the dog, offering my hand to let it sniff it. Before my hand came within reach of the dog's muzzle, it gave me a warning growl so I backed off and went into the supermarket. Thinking back on it, it had anxious-looking eyes and I think my body was looming over the dog which may have caused this reaction.

I always thought the hand offer to a dog was a good way to assess a dog's emotional state to see whether it would be happy to be petted by a stranger or not. Other times a dog sniffing my hand would be followed by a wagging tail - so I thought "oh they're happy to let me pet them" but I recently learnt that a wagging tail ≠ happy. It depends on context.

I dunno if I would recommend a child doing this incase they wouldn't do it properly and potentially get snapped or bitten, best guaranteed safe situation for both dog and child is to let the dog approach them unless the child knows how to appropriately approach a dog imo.

You're the only one so far that's been warned for abusive language

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are correct children should come first, but your conclusion is utter nonsense. Children have to learn to live in this world with all it faults and that includes dealing with dogs. The dog gave plenty of warnings that he did not want to have anything to do with the child. The owners should have reacted and explained this to the child and then put distance between them.

if you fail to teach a child how to deal with animals, then yes you could be setting them up for a bad outcome.

I think you are getting very emotional now. And im sure a warning is in the offing for yourself as well. As i said we have different opinions , why not leave it at that?

• Advertisement

Still waiting on that apology for your abhorrent behaviour

Can you guarantee that no human - child or adult - will ever act the fool around the dog again?

Don't think so.

You're looking for an impossible guarantee, based on your expectation of how dogs should behave according to your human logic, instead of how they actually behave.

Many posters have tried to explain this to you, but it's obviously been a waste of their time.

Time to disengage, I think. The OP has gotten the advice they needed.

Are you serious? Im waiting on yours. You told me i should be put down. Absolutely abhorrent.

The basis of my argument was that the human/child didnt act the fool , the dog was very much the aggressor in the scenario. either way we have a different opinion and both offered it. Disengaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This modern generation of dog owners who treat their dogs like they're actually people is ridiculous. 

I couldn't agree more.

It's very unsettling to see such behavior where a dog is put on such a social standing, usually by mature adults.

If a dog shows such aggressive threatning behavior towards a visitor inside a house it needs to be treated as a serious threat capable of harm in future.

So that would be a NO to any guarantee then.

It's been explained to you throughout the thread (very patiently and politely) by multiple posters, that no one can know for sure exactly why the dog reacted this way, to this child.

But what is POSITIVE about this scenario, is that the dog gave clear warnings, though you are choosing to see those warnings as a negative and paint them as the dog being aggressive, and needing to be destroyed.

It is a dog who gives NO warnings, (or who has had their warnings "disciplined" out of them) that you need to worry about, not this dog.

Please never get a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I can see from this thread why some dog owners end up as lonely people. They put their dog before humans. Humans become unwelcome in their lives because of their dog. I know several people like this - noone visits them because of their dog.

I am a dog owner and love our dog but he does not rule our house. If my dog growled at a guest in my home he would be put into another room or outside - he would be taken away from the situation. There is no way I would allow a guest feel uncomfortable or unwelcome in my home because of the dog. There is no way I would blame a guest for the dog growling for no apparent reason either.

I can tell that some of the posters here are the type that lets their dog off the lead in public places, says stupid things like ' Rex is so calm, wouldnt hurt a fly, he wont hurt you ( while Rex is nipping and growling at someones ankles) and thinks its their right that they bring the dog anywhere they want with no regard for the people around them.

Remember dogs are not always right. Also remember that your dog may not be as nice to other people as they are to you.

I think you are misunderstanding most people. I cant see anyone blaming the guest for the dog growling. What they are blaming the guest for is approaching and trying to pet the dog after it growled. EVERYONE who is advocating for reading the dogs body language has said the OP should have stepped in a separated the guest from the dog after the initial growl. The guest should not have approached the dog, and the OP should not have let her. This is not putting dogs before humans.

People are just advocating for reading the dogs body language. If (when) my dog has growled at a guest. I have told them to ignore him and keep distance. Then if he still shows any discomfort give him something to do in another room away from my guests like a long lasting chew, or puzzle toy. By locking him away without anything like that I am teaching him that guests mean bad things for him and he will continue to growl. To avoid the dog ever showing the discomfort, we ask all our guests to throw some treats at the dog when they arrive - therefore changing his associations from guests=bad to guests=treats and he will be happy to greet guests in the future. I ask if they mind and if any of them did, then I would throw the treats but its more effective coming from the guest.

All people who come into my home are told not to try and pet the dog unless he approaches them, and not to lean over him or try to pet him over his head because we know he does not like that. If the guests are not comfortable with the dog, then the dog is not locked away but given a safe space and something to keep him busy/happy.

How is ANY of that putting the dog above the humans?

Ive had a few dogs , great companions , never any issues. I take on board what you said about the warning being a positive sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

When I was younger we always had a dog as did most of our neighbours. They rambled around the neighbourhood, in and out of the house

they were loved and looked after very well but I dont ever remember anyone talking to them or treating them like a baby.

More often than not dogs slept outside in a kennel or a shed. When did all this change ? When did the dogs become equivalent of a baby , pampered and preened ?

Now I have dogs and I love them to bits , but they are dogs and do what dogs are supposed to do . They spend most of their time outside and I dont see anything wrong with this

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

I've 2 big Siberian Huskies... 11 and almost 9.

House dogs. The best you could ask for.

In ALL the time I've owned them... 11 YEARS... they have never been left unsupervised around kids or strangers.

Why? Because (a) they are dogs, and will snap or bite if they feel the need to (if threatened) and mostly because (b) people generally treat them (& dogs in general) as if they are little people.

They're NOT! They're dogs... and they will protect themselves for many reasons, most of which are not 'usual' human to human interactions or situations. The sooner we are all educated on the difference, the less often we will be bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Letting dogs ramble around the neighborhood is a really bad idea, here are some reasons why:

1: Look at this thread - Some people want dogs killed because their owners can't read their warning signs or control them.

2: It's illegal.

3: There's a big trade out there of people stealing dogs.

4: Dogs should be supervised at all times around children (and vice versa), you can't do this while they are rambling around your neighborhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

bollix , 13yo brings a friend home and is confronted by a dog who snapped at her because he ‘ felt threatened’ or was just in a ‘bad’ mood ? If a dog growled at me I wouldn’t touch it. Neither would I visit that house again. If my 13 yo brought a friend home and my dog snarled, snapped at them , doggy’s going for rehousing

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Kids nowadays dont even respect their parents how can you expect them to respect a warning from a dog? IMHO all kids should be crated when the dogs are out ! :) Spoken as a true dog lover and not so much child lover ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It is not the place of a friend's parent to teach that lesson, and the OP here had a lucky escape. Whatever about the dog biting your own child, but someone else's? And then having to explain that to that child's parents?

Some posters said that this dog was giving a warning and they are right, it was warning you that this dog cannot be trusted. It really ought to be sent to somewhere that there are no children or dealt with like I said previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I didnt say dogs should be left to ramble nowadays , just that it's such a turnaround from years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

So if we’ve turned around one one aspect of dog ownership, maybe we can turn around on this one and educate owners and visitors about how to act around animals? Seems like common sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

absolutely i would cause a dog to have PTS over a human getting injured. Your not so familiar with the food chain eh stihl? i dont expect anything at all of children, i do however expect that they can wander about on their daily business without getting bitten by a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

I have a dog and shes as good as gold,shes nearly 10 and to this day I don't trust her when a kid runs over and trys to pet her ,not that I always say no but I am very wary and discourage it.Some posts on here suggesting the dog gave some warning so its the kids /owners fault are to my mind are missing the point.The dog snapped ,end of story ,he needs to be protected from doing it again,dodged a bullet and be grateful as if he had made contact ,you could be facing a world of trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement