Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Think I'll give the English dub in Yakuza 7 a chance. Seems like you switch so shouldn't be a problem if I find it too awkward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d find English dubs totally ‘off’ for Yakuza in particular (although I’d go with Japanese language / English subs for most Japanese games anyway) - Japanese characters walking around in Japanese cities should be speaking Japanese :)

I do think many of the characters being essentially scans of real peoples faces would give the same issue watching a live action dub would but I've heard its good so I'm kind of curious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keep thinking its coming at the end of August not September and then getting annoyed at myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can't wait to play it, characters from that game are in cold steel 3 and mentions others. Falcom really are a great game studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

If anyone is interested in model kits Good Smile will be releasing the Valimar from Cold Steel into their Moteroid line.

In other news Atlus have confirmed there will be no upgrade path for P5R on PS5 for owners of the PS4 release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I imagine that P5R will be essentially the same game. 60 FPS is the only improvement I'd expect if they even bother with it at all. I imagine with the trouble they had with that game's engine that everything in the game is tied to framerate and it's locked at 30.

I'd say the only difference will be that all the dlc will be included like the PC, Xbox and Switch versions.

Live-a-Live remake getting great reviews although that's not a surprise considering the original was pretty great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Completed it very early last year with a ropey pre-Geofront translation on PS Vita which didn't have the Vita exclusive side-quests translated. A great game,and which I have said previously, benefits greatly (along with Azure) from taking place in a relatively compact location - Crossbell. That Falcom was also able to tell the SSS story over just two games highlights the bloat of the Cold Steel arc and parts III and IV in particular.

Naturally I have had it preordered for months. I recently started the Evolution version of Trails in the Sky FC (having previously completed the PSP-emulated game) and hope to have that trilogy completed again by the time this comes out.

Although doing this while concurrently playing Fire Emblem:Three Houses might prove impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

XC3 embargo lifted. Reviewing great. I'm very tempted but I guess I should finish Definitive Edition first. Pretty sure I read somewhere it links in to the first 2 games somehow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

90 hours into cold steel 3 now and only starting ch4, man ch3 was long but I must say I really enjoyed it.

Have gone back to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (Switch) having bounced off it hard when I tried it in September 2020. Started a new game the other night and am now loving it. I think the difference being that I played SMT V in the meantime and some of the mechanics (spells etc.) are identical.

Whilst the whole Japanese idol industry/culture leaves me fairly baffled and the story is paper thin, the combat system and characters are fantastic and I am enjoying the game immensely. It will serve as a nice warm-up for Persona 5 Royal in October.

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition last night. I had played about 30 hrs before and got a bit burned out and dropped it for a good while. I've played nothing else the last few weeks to get it finished as I wanted to pick up XC3 and couldn't justify it having not completed the first game. Really enjoyed the story, especially in the latter half of the game where it gathered pace a lot. I love the series but I dread the bosses sometimes, never know what your going to get. Had to do a lot of grinding towards the end and that was even after making sure to fight any enemy I came across. Not sure I noticed it as much with XC2 but I felt some of the areas are big for the sake of being big and it adds nothing to the experience apart from it taking way longer than needed to get around a space. I do love Monoliths world building overall though, and those minor gripes aside it was a fantastic experience.

Think I'll pick up XC3 in the next couple of weeks once I've gotten the itch to jump back in again, looks amazing and a real step up from XC2. Anyone here playing it at the moment?

The last few boss fights gave me trouble I remember but I just went off and did the post game side quests which got me to a sufficient level to deal with them. Last boss still gave me trouble but it was kind of an epic battle that capped the game off nicely.

I just really loved the writing in the first game. It's a nice little hard sci-fi story but with a lot of humanity. I was extremely impressed with the love triangle. It just handled it in such a mature and realistic way and it was so refreshing when other games handle relationships in such black and white terms. Only Lufia 2's famous love triangle story comes anywhere close in any game I've played.

It's an extraordinary game. I was a little apprehensive about it. Monolith's only really good games were the Baten Kaitos games. The Xenosaga games were an over ambitious mess, good ideas but the gameplay was dull with too many cutscenes. Even when they were at Squaresoft their games, namely Xenogears and Chrono Cross, were ambitious but messy. Xenoblade just exceeded everything they had done before. They scaled back on the story, keeping it still interesting and complex but not overbearing, and focused on making one of the best RPG battle systems since Persona 3.

I grinded to a level above the final boss and he still gave me trouble. Was very tempted to put on casual mode a few times but I resisted. I found there was an annoying over reliance on spikes in the last few boss fights and areas too which drives you to respec for those encounters or to go grinding materials for spike defense gems.

Story was brilliantly handled though, gathered pace nicely throughout the game and very well wrapped up. I don't have experience of Monoliths older stuff, but have finished XC and XC2 now and they are awesome games. Rarely I find time these days to finish a 60+ hr JRPG but it was hard to put this one down once I got stuck back in to it.

Battle system is so good in both games too. Chain attacks are great when you have high affinity and can topple lock some bosses for a good deal of the fight. End game in XC forced me to change up my team which I didn't like at first but I ended up loving as I was using a character I had ignored who turned out to be as awesome damage dealer, won't reveal name for spoiler purposes but I'm sure you know.

Side quests are fairly meh and I just ended up picking up heaps of them and finishing them as I progressed naturally through the game but didn't go out of my way for many of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing XBC3 at the moment - third time's a charm after bouncing off XBC and XBCX :)

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, and I'm around 7-8 hours in at the moment. It's a much more gentle opening than the other two games, with less sprawling areas and much more generous tutorials. If anything, there was a stretch that was too slow in introducing the new mechanics. But I do have a better grasp of what's going on this time than I did with the previous games, even if the designers still have a fondness for confusing compound proper nouns to describe things!

The narrative setup is genuinely interesting and while it falls into the familiar JRPG trap of having cutscenes that are far too long, the central conflicts so far are interesting and dynamic.

Overall, it has real 'Wii game in 2022' vibes, and I mean that as a good thing... even if the lighting used so far makes the big bad character look suspiciously like an actual Mii :P

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Soul hackers is looking incredible. It's been an incredible year for big rpgs with elden ring, Xenoblade 3 and this with more to come.

• Advertisement

Soul Hackers looks a bit to much like Tokyo Mirage Sessions for me which I couldn't finish. Still the similarities could be just in the art design and the actual game could be quite different.

The other soul hacker games are very much smt cyberpunk. Doubt it will be much like TMS

Reviews for souls hackers are out in famitsu. 38/40. Its famitsu though so take with a pinch of salt

There are rumours that it will be available on Game Pass day 1 as it was briefly marked as a GP game with cloud streaming available, Elden Ring was also briefly marked. It has been stated that this was an error so take with a pinch of salt.

Not available for Switch which is typical Atlus. Will probably be released sometime in 2024 as some deluxe edition.

I agree that we are very much in a golden age of RPG’s at present!

Is it not the same senior team as TMS, I just assumed they called it soul hackers because its a name they already had lying around.

I did some deep diving there for the developers. TMS looks like it was created by the secondary Atlus team. A lot of them are from the radiant historia, etrian odyssey and Strange Journey teams. Soul Hackers looks like it's made by the main SMT team or R&D1 as they were know. Loads of senior members are from main line SMT, Persona games, Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers, even some R&D1 side projects like Maken X. Definitely a main R&D1 game. Plenty have been there since SMT1 and 2.

Soul Hackers is their cyberpunk SMT spin off. The 3DS remake was apparently very successful, especially in japan, for them so I'd say they are building off that.

Mixed reviews for souls hackers 2. Of course take it with a pinch of salt as most reviewers of smt games are basically: not persona therefore shite

Gaming trends review is pure smt hate.

133 hours later and finally finished cold steel 3, my god what a finale! tempted to jump into IV but I think I'll wait.

Fyi for anyone getting the Crossbell Trails games you may want to avoid the PS4 versions. The PS4 versions are the old Kai ports while the PC and Switch versions have had additional work done on them by Durante with many QoL and grahical enhancements.

This will also affect Reverie to an extent as you can import your completed saves in it.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Advertisement

Advertisement