Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a bank after Ulster Bank

• 18-07-2022 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked a lot. Anyway, been with Ulster Bank all my life and use their app which is really good. I have a Mastercard with Bank of Ireland but over 20 years since I used a different account I had there, probably gone.

So, who are most people moving to? Do I call into a branch to open a new account?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Try to use bonkers.ie or switcher.ie to compare. In general, depending on your own needs. The most modern and average app would be AIB, while BOI seems are catching up with technology but are still behind. PTSB aren't worth attention if you're not interested in calling them to make simple operation such us add a bank card to Google Pay (AIB don't require a call as it's done on the Google Pay app). If you want to save money for transactions, you can have AIB and get a credit card for daily purchases. If you want to use one card and peace of mind, BOI charge a fixed monthly fee for services. PTSB is similar in this way but you can earn 10c for each transaction which reduces the cost. But they didn't seem professional to me in both, my local branch and a call centre. To open an account you don't call (waiting times can be long), but download app and open account via app. Check their website for how to open a new account with them. If you need a joint account, most likely you'd need to book an appointment for branch. It could takes from weeks to months of waiting - this is how busy they currently are. People say opening an account via app is quick and can take a few days or a week to get an IBAN and a bank card. Good luck, and don't forget to contact each of your provider to update IBAN for DDs or bank card for recurrent payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I switched to my local credit union, they recently started offering current accounts. They are cheaper in every respect with the added bonus of getting to talk to a real person at a counter when you walk in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

The other half did all the research and we went with AIB. Took about 2 months from opening online account to getting everything sorted. Seems to be going ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Thanks for all this. I have opened an AIB account using their app.

So they have an app, is it good?

You get a bank card yes?

International transfers?

Safety Guaranteed to €100,000? I ask this as the staff always seem to be robbing money from accounts in them places. Preying on the elderly.

Cash withdrawals?

What else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The app is brilliant, easy to use.

You get a current account bank card.

I think the EFTs are only within the EU within the 34 SEPA countries

Yes..https://www.creditunion.ie/what-we-offer/savings/are-my-savings-secure/

Yes

Everything you need From a bank except cheaper fees and real people at a counter

Cool, thanks. I'll give them a go. 6e a month is to expensive with BOI which is alternative I was looking at. I may set up Revolut as a back up but I don't like the stories how they are treating staff so maybe not either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I do not particularly enjoy the way AIB is heading. Their branches are turning in strange places where the only person you encounter is bored looking security guy and some overly enthusiastic person who wants to point you to which machine you should use.

Another thing is that they are starting to remove cash machines from a lot of these "branches". They seems to start accelerating process of changing to revolut and if that is the case I wonder what is the point not to go for online bank like revolut completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you can get a EBS Money Manager account that is the way to go. Join Curve and then you can use Google wallet or Apple Pay with EBS card.

Add Revolut or Monese for example and then you have a great app.

Think outside the box and keep things FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

everyone wants free or near free banking

everyone is up in arms when aib says they are withdrawing the costly cash aspect of their branches

Nothing is free.

Revolut don't charge but they literally bombard you with advertising (a lot of it dodgy and and trying to get you to gamble) all over their app. Makes sky tv feel like its ad free.

If we want a banking service, we have to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Except they're giving up on the current account business and are going to move them to aib (who owns ebs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just found an article on this. Bonkers.ie ignored EBS for years and now are giving warnings - pathetic.

Advertisement