Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

Fresh pile of crap, released today: https://t.me/gruz200_ua/8589 - so, that's a governor of one of the russian regions saying that they will invade and annex every state which supported sanctions.

By the way, this guy has his own private army of 50K+ troops. Rumour is that he also has a hobby of personally killing gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think Putin believes we are in the UK

Putin, probably, doesn't but it is not preventing russian state medias from making funny animations of Ireland being wiped by "thermonuclear tsunami" together with the UK. The safety of Ireland and other EU countries can be guaranteed only by defeating Putin as early as possible. Militarily, economically and ideologically.

Though I said "those who launch", Putin, his daughter and Kovalchuk are those who order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Sounds like Nato should strike the tv station that's making the threats. They seem to be more of a danger since they are the ones doing all of the posturing

So probably not entirely proper that loads of Ukrainian guys 18-60’s are strolling around Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yeah, probably. Though, I've shown you the stats, these men are 13% of all the refugees and it's highly likely that most of them are not draft dodgers.

Anyway, they shouldn't be the top priority in your list of bad things. They won't be here if there is no war and they will be gone once the war ends (unless Russia wins which would be a disaster for everyone).

Well, I would agree with that, but it's not about a single TV station. The priming started in early 2000s. Novels, films, "patriotic education", all the shite about sacred russian role in the world history, new Bysantia, a global mystic-orthodox-communist "fifth empire" ruling the world.

I believe that this was driven by a revanchist offspring of "methodology" cult. As I said before the core of their beliefs is simple, they believe that you may shape the reality to your needs by exploiting some quirks of human brains and using proper words to describe the reality. This shite mixed together with imperialistic orthodox mystics (Dugin) and now we have what we have - a fascist state openly discussing and expecting to rule the world in foreseeable future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

In all the Hollywood movies the bad guys were always Russian

No but if Ireland via its membership of the EU enters into an agreement, a seriously generous one… I don’t want to see Ireland, its people, it’s resources taken for an expensive piss rip of a ride. Loads of young men in the university who were enquiring about gym membership on the campus gym where I’m a member.l

• Advertisement

Kinda, but at the same time it was always was close to truth. At least since 1917.

Also you know, Russia in Hollywood movies about evil Russians looks lot better than in the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And the war is going to end when 2 years ,5 years,10 years

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a separate thread to discuss the war. This one is to discuss Ukrainian refugees and in particular those who have found their way to Ireland

Mostly depends on the actions of the West. And, we should keep in mind that the West allowed this to happen. Refugees and inflation are the least of the possible inconveniences. Also it's highly likely that refugees won't be here if NATO impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine in February.

It may end this year, it may end in two years. Ukraine may (and should) win, Russia may win and conquer all the Europe. Who knows.

In the end Ireland should win. The people under TPS will leave. The government will inevitable do something with housing and the houses will stay. Those who stay would do it on a basis of a well-paid jobs and will pay taxes.

I think you should concentrate your anger on Russia, not on people under TPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Draft dodger and a con artist. Welcome to ireland.

The guy is not necessarily a draft dodger. He may have an exemption. Also the positive point is that he is a qualified professional and doesn't want to abuse welfare system.

Not sure if the girl is an actual con artist or just made a reproduction of some else's work (e.g. vectorised a picture).

I guess you are not a judge?

Anyways, even if these two are of a bad character, it would be to broad to extrapolate them onto the whole 43K crowd.

Also I'm wondering if you raised your voice when wealthy Russians were parking their bloody money in Dublin (they really were)? The refugees wouldn't be here if the war didn't happen. The war wouldn't happen if the EU would be less complacent about all the shite happening in Russia since 1999. Or if the West had developed a second Marshall plan for post-soviet countries in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Look the pity is drying up at this stage. I wager you talk to an actual war fleeing Refugee they will tell you these others were getting are coming for welfare. They will probably see a fancy car they could never afford. wonder how much it cost getting from the East part of Ukraine that's not in war all the way to Ireland. We all saw at the start of the war train stations clogged up with people actually fleeing. We all saw pretty much 0 men on them trains getting out of dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And then read what some US, UK and EU top-level officials say about Russia.

I would say that both sides do have lots of crazies around which love their newfound 5 minutes of fame. No need to loss sleep over that. It is mainly propaganda war at this stage. Human lives and material cost are at the moment very small compared to other recent or even ongoing conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We're not (supposed to be) offering a haven for economic migrants and chancers.

We're SUPPOSED to be offering temporary refuge for people fleeing war and real threat of death.

The 2 above should be put back on the next plane home, and many more with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Intriguing after a Trawl through this mornings Papers , I'm struck at the deafening Silence around the Ukrainian refugee crisis, and in particular the silence about Gormanstown, Not a mention or whisper about it, one or two articles indirectly related to the war to be found , most papers not even mentioning , Ukraine (Thankfully).

Of course RTE'S Flagship news and current affairs programme, "Morning Ukraine" RTE Radio 1 7am - 9am has the usual fluff pieces occasionally.

It's almost reminiscent of how Covid disappeared of the news agenda almost over night. People would be forgiven for thinking government asked for a Break.

Focus remains on the economic fall out of the crisis and its getting louder.

But Intriguing nonetheless the Deafening silence re the refugee debacle and particularly Irelands newest camp site with impressive facilities.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Well it will be back on the agenda very quickly when students are looking for accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Savvy journalist Philip Dwyer 3 months ago was in Dublin airport questioning whether the system is being abused. His video can be found on YouTube

Well well interesting discussion on Radio 1, at that moment, not going as swimmingly for Ukrainian refugees seeking work,as we are led to believe, employers being very picky. Loosing benifits also becoming an increasingly concern.

Not quite the positive spin we've been listening to for months.

To their credit many have sought work but quite a number of obstacles being faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Employers aren’t charities (unlike the Irish taxpayer)- they want skills, people to fit in. Ukraine is the poorest nation in Europe. It’s likely the workforces skills level there very much reflects that- not what the bleedin hearts would have you believe of course, but likely very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The large majority are economic migrants, lets not kid ourselves. Anyone who says differently has their head in the sand (on purpose).

Take a look through the Facebook pages and you will see that Ukrianie has de facto been admitted into the EU, people are fleeing a corrupt nation, rather then a nation at war.

EU =free money at worse, a job with a good income at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Well, it's not surprising at all really. First of all, the language. One thing is to be able to get around town and get your groceries done with basic English, different story is when you are looking for a job in the office - nothing extra ordinary, but even front desk requires a good understanding and a solid spoken English. I have come across a few people advertising themselves as translators and teachers and their English was not great, to put it mildly. I know, it is a mixed bag, I am sure for each of those I've encountered, there would be other ones with good English and maybe some good qualifications. But still, that is not to say that the work market is easy to sail through for anyone. Never mind the jolly ideas to let newly arrived Ukrainians to be hired as doctors, nurses, etc... Professional licence, certificates, language exams, vetting?... There is a lot to it, much more than "Ah, sure, just let them work".

The hospitality sector effectively stabbed themselves in the back. In my area a few hotels got turned into the accommodation for Ukrainians, hence no tourists here, no need for extra staff to hire. Cafes and pubs are going by summer hire of students.

It would have been a good idea to have a separate program for people with certain qualifications or certain skills. But as the planning on the matter is level "zero", nothing sensible is to be expected.

Pity though, it could have been a good opportunity for the government to extract some use out of the situation and have this working both ways.

Indeed, interesting one contributor saying very few Ukrainians have Hospitality skills, I got the impression from some they were keeping the hospitality sector going (always believed it was utter nonsense).

Alot of skill sets as useful has a 3 legged donkey, I also recall this narrative, Sure there's load of Jobs they'll fill, not exactly working out that way.

But interestingly there's concerns amongst many about the loss of SW entitlements if they move out of accommodation centres or take up any work, Shocking to think Irish people also loose entitlements of they work, even part time 🙄

Seems to me there's a lot of advice being dished out on how our SW system works, I sense DSP starting to look a little more closely at what is being lashed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why are we paying full dole as well as childrens allowance to people who are given full board and who could well have very healthy bank balance back home?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement