Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes that was notable in the report, the issue of losing SW supports if they took up work. Chap in Cork was it? involved in engineering/ fabrication who also mentioned that Ukrainian men were coming to him looking for work... hmmm. Send them back.

The hospitality sector aspect is a bit chicken & egg I agree. Then there's the fact that it's virtually all minimum wage at entry level, doesn't matter how good you are, take it or get spat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The DSP will be afraid (warned) to not catch a Ukrianinan working for cash in hand. No doubt they will work, I seen a post yesterday on one of the Facebook sites in which an Irish girl asked if someone wanted to be a live in nanny for food, housing and a small (wage).

How that will work out then is the new arrival will stay, the home owner gets 400 from (our tax) and the Ukrainian nanny gets 203 per week plus (wage).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

English, not at all the issue, contributors spoke it fluently.

No such problems getting around in my area, Free bus to nearest town, 3 times a week.

Yes it's been noted before some have seriously good qualifications, I've not heard much from them but yes, very difficult to verify qualifications, Doctors etc and some Skills / Qualifications not recognised in Ukraine, are not recognised here or need additional studies.

Yep, Hospitality have made a Dogs Dinner of things.

It's a pity the Government didn't actually think first. They, I believed had this bizzare notion this open door policy would solve in part the recruitment crisis. It was fanciful back in March and is even more fanciful now.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You clearly picked the bit you liked but obviously didn't listen to his entire comments, especially the last few words. He's employed 2, one as an interpreter for his father, the other one 🙄

I worked in hospitality years ago, there's 0 chance someone gives up €203 +benefits a week to work minimum wage 20-30 hours per week. Zero chance.

And sure, its only women so who will mind their kids.

• Advertisement

I think the Gloves are coming off 🤔 no more soft touches, they've taken a while to get on top of the sheer volumes of claims, must be in the 10"s of millions at this stage in monetary terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hundreds of millions in no time- 40,000 plus is a huge % to the welfare budget. Plus they all have Accomodation costs which a lot of Irish welfare recipients wouldn’t be “entitled”.

It’s hard to believe we have such an idiotic government but I suppose not too surprising

I worked in it for nearly 30 years, so hear you 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I’ve said from the start they should not receive welfare and should be kept in camps. Hotels cost a fortune, but there’s money for ‘the boys’ to make. It would cut down on welfare tourism and not cause the accommodation chaos we’re seeing. It’s just added to the accommodation chaos we already have and creates resentment. The do goodies that pop into this thread without reading all the posts before usually fall into the ‘I’m all right Jack’ category. Saying the we should do more while do SFA themselves. If you believe in helping out then take some into your own home (primary residence).

• Advertisement

The hospitality sector is supposed to be a pathway for newly trained Chef's or front of house staff. Now they won't be able to progress as 1, there's no hotels to work as they are becoming refuge center's, 2 poor wages, 3 nowhere to live + nowhere to rent for cheap. Failte Ireland are state funded, so they need to get their act together.

The EU Directive took care of entitlements, of course it didn't bother other countries who seemed to have read it, their SW supports are a fraction of what they are here, some even used existing Asylum seeker supports rather than automatically offer full SW supports and many didn't get caught up block booking hotels, building modular homes and wasting 10"s of millions of Euro, they also didn't have Dirty big signs errected at their Ports of entry welcoming any an all.

I could write a book on what's wrong with the Hospitality sector, I'm actually an experienced Chef, Taught Culinary arts, Worked in at least 15 countries, Managed Hotels, even worked for financial institutions after the mess of the last financial crash and still do some private work.

I recall a time when it was a profession, highly skilled but the the "Hospitality" aspect of the industry here long gone apart from the very few gold standard establisments who've retained staff true respect, appreciation and reward for decades.

But that's for another day but yes I agree completely with your observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

Yeah-yeah, tell that to all the companies which were hiring tens of thousands of engineers in Ukraine.

I’ve said from the start they should not receive welfare and should be kept in camps. Hotels cost a fortune, but there’s money for ‘the boys’ to make.

You aren't much better than they are. If a war happens here (and it may) - you, probably, would change your views on the camps.

Also your approach would inevitably cause a spike in crime stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

The usual rubbish being floated on social media, people from parts of Ukrain nowhere near the fighting renting out there houses to people coming from the parts where theres fighting and coming here for free housing and still renting out there houses sure how would anyone know thats happening

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

Austria's population is 9 million and has accepted almost 80,000 displaced people from Ukraine.

The financial support available to Ukrainian refugees in Austria is €260 for an adult, and €145 for an adult or child dependent, monthly. Locals and non for profit charities host the majority of refugees, for those who rent accommodation privately there is an additional €165 towards the rent per person (up to €330 for a family)

Ireland's welfare benefit of €901 is 3.5 times that of Austria, it needs to be reduced to be in line with European rates and to prevent "benefit tourism".

Consumer prices in Austria are only 3.66% lower than in Ireland, so paying 350% more is not reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well then there shouldn’t be a problem then- they can stay in their own country. Oddly despite the above we have a daily flow of new migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Wanting to move from the warzone that is sunny Spain to the wet, damp, and as they claim themselves 'sadness' of Ireland.

Wouldn't have any thing to do with the overly generous free payments courtesy of the squeezed Irish would it. The gravy train is in full flow lads and it's not stopping any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is the whole lot not forecast to cost 4bn per year? I thought that was in the summer statement but could stand corrected

• Advertisement

No, you may be referring to the €3 billion put aside by government for next year to cover humanitarian and Refugee costs, presumably this includes asylum seekers costs also.

It's very difficult to pin down an approximate cost per Ukrainian refugee, I believe government projected €30 k per refugee which I think is Conservative.

But at 43k currently admitted, estimated to reach at least 80k by years end, at 35k estimated cost per refugee, the figures are staggering.

You can buy an apartment in Poland for 40k.

Its cheaper for the government (us Irish tax payers) to buy up 50 thousand polish or eastern European apartment's and put the Ukrianinans there. Atleast paddy will own an asset for his generosity.

FML.

Just to add it only cost 1000 polish zloty to rent an apartment in the east of Poland. That's about 230 euro per month. That's what the government should be doing with the money at best.

I did actually, long story but that was 10 years ago and ironically €39k. I'd say in fairness it would be more expensive now in larger cities. Mine was in Przemyśl, since sold on.

I've said many times, Our Government should have targeted financial aid towards bordering countries and put their hands up from the outset and said we've no Accommodation, Infrastructure or Plan, be honest for a change instead of 6 months of Chaos, ineptitude and a complete debacle.

Some will say why bother support, I don't accept some reasonable level of support wasn't justified but essentially they jumped head first, not fully understanding the cost of the EU directive, nor how open it was to abuse.

I can see not a single reason that is logical to encourage displacement (albeit supposed to be temporary) of 10"s of thousands across an entire content to an island nation at a staggering cost to taxpayers.

I'm lead to believe this was actually a narrow mind, cynical and Niaeve ploy by government to encourage migration to solve a recruitment crisis under some delusion irish people will put all these refugees up in free accommodation.

That hasn't quite gone to plan and now 43k are here and many more coming, it will be practically impossible to send them back and cut SW payments. Government have essentially created a potentially Decade long problem and we're absolutely negligent, no mater what spin is put on it.

Had enough all this but there was absolutely no need to be issuing PPS numbers or MC especially with absolutely no verifications, controls or checking in place or possible, it's utter madness.

Just back from a few days in Kerry (Valentia Island). To be honest the only place I didn't see Ukrainian refugees and other asylum seekers was on Skellig Michael! There are hundreds in Cahirciveen, Derrynane, Waterville, Ballinskellings. However it was heaven and blissful to turn off radio and all social media and just enjoy the remote areas of Kerry mostly on a bike.

For anyone who wants a daily update of who is arriving into Ireland, be they Ukrainian or IPAS asylum seekers please follow Senator Sharon Keogan on Facebook who is my area of Meath. She is the only one with a backbone, the only one who has for months being calling the Government out and asking questions about how we are going to accommodate all our new "friends". In 2020 we received 1566 asylum seekers, 2021 we received 2649 and to date this year and we are only in July we have almost 5K. This is not counting the 43,256 Ukrainians up to yesterday!

She has promised she will give daily updates on who is coming into Ireland through IPAS (non Ukrainian) and also Ukrainian refugees. This will include those who travel here by air and by sea.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Who Said they had qualifications and exemptions?

With 1-2 million Ukranian refugees now in Poland, I doubt there's many lying idle

• Advertisement

Our Government should have targeted financial aid towards bordering countries

They are doing that too, with approx 4 million already gone to Poland (as an example) with a further 11 million to follow to there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement