Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would alway shaft the Messer if he was reacting to an underbidder. Of he realised his mistake and came back earlier I might entertain but if he was reacting to bids received he is an idiot

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Good stuff Blub, your head would have been wrecked with worry of more messing. Hope rest of sale goes through without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnDurcan

No 4 is on the property price register at €1.35 in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Just saw this today

When I think if what was available in 2019 in our price range versus now😭😭

We were not all in the same boat during covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But in 2019 people taught these were outrageous expensive as well. When COVID started lads were talking about withdrawing offer's and putting in lowball bids.

There is a reason that hindsight is 20/20 vision

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭wassie

Saw these 4 spec houses passing through Craughwell village yesterday in east Galway.

Craughwell is about 25mins from Galway city and is a fairly unremarkable village, with only a few services. They are built to a decent spec, but the sites are wedged between the unimpressive main road and the railway line.

Developer is asking between €670k-€700k for each of these 4 houses which seems bonkers given there is only one recorded house sale on the PPR over €500k for the whole Craughwell area (€510k). Either its pure greed or else someone has gotten their numbers badly wrong. Eitherway its going to be a tough sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Not a huge fan, but those are very high spec houses with good gardens. I'm not aware of the area, but I would assume being new build and the spec gives them a premium over other homes sold in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They are a very good high spec true, but people paying 700k+ would expect either better location (Galway city/Oranmore) or a house with a bit more privacy from your neighbours. Also having a train running past your back garden doesnt help either.

As it stands in Craughwell you will have to drive absolutely everywhere for everything really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Never understood why people get so hung about advertised price on on housing ads. Those houses are worth what a buyer is willing to pay for them, just like any other. The developer can ask 700k and if someone is willing to pay that, that is the market value despite whether anyone else thinks they are worth it. If they don’t sell, then the builder will have to lower the price. Is it greed to try and get the max price the market will pay? Only if you are clueless about business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

not sure what your point is? i expect it would have cost at least 600k pre covid. so around 5% increase per annum isnt remarkable. naas homes seem a bit much having regard to distance to dublin and similar commuter belt towns.

Developers dont tend to overestimate asking price as that will just deter potential buyers. If their asking price is well removed from what theyll actually get its worth pointing out.

Why pay 700k+ for those houses in craughwell when you could have similar spec house in Galway city for 750

Developer obviously got some cheap land is hoping to make a quick buck, well the land there was cheap for a reason - not much demand to live in craughwell

I am from the area, well 20mins from Craughwell. I completely agree, I could not believe the asking price for these. Craughwell has little or nothing in the village, one of the decent pubs recently closed and those houses are beside that eye-sore of a petrol station which closed about 10 years ago. I cant understand why someone would pay that price, is there even a decent bus service to the city?

Our neighbor paid over double what we paid for our house. The advertised prices give a guide as to where the market is at. I and probably others do not want to pay a huge premium when buying and also personally, am limited with the maximum amount of finance I can get and am willing to fork out. I do not have infinite money.

Hopefully that helps you understand why people might be interested in the cost of houses. I'd also suggest attending playschool where some of these topics are covered.

Time will tell.

Looking at the Kinport site, they seem to build pretty high spec houses, so it’s fair to say you know nothing about the build cost/profit.

They are nice looking houses, smallest seems to be around 2100sqft. That’s likely to be a “forever home”. Mightn't be for you, might be for someone else.

I get that you are interested in the cost of housing, but saying something is not worth €X just because you won’t pay it is below playschool level of intellect, it doesn’t account for others who put a different value on commodities. I don’t live near this, nor the house you posted a few days ago. But someone may be looking for that house, in that area, with that spec, that garden wants to live near Dublin/Galway, but not in Dublin/Galway etc, may have been looking for that type of new house for years, now they found it and it is worth more to them then it is to you and me.

Even playschool kids want the toys their friends have, it’s up to the parents to teach them that they can’t have everything they want when they want it, when you get older, at the price you want it gets added to that, but you gotta learn that last bit yourself.

The value of a house is not what you want it to be, or think it should be, it is what someone is willing to pay for it. Unless you are bidding on it, you are just like grandpa Simpson, shaking your fist at a cloud.

I think the only people who would want to live in Craughwell are people who are actually from Craughwell. There is nothing nice about the village, as someone pointed out above, you have to drive everywhere. I cant see any local paying that kind of money...

I appreciate that, I’ve never been there myself. But a new house relatively close to Galway may appeal to people today that it wouldn’t have in the past for obvious reasons.

Again, time will tell, keep us updated on whether they have occupants in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

ECB after putting up interest rates by .5% a .25% was expected. A few more rises over next 6 months and it won't be long before house prices start dropping.

• Advertisement

This is the biggest cop out on this thread

"But a new house relatively close to Galway may appeal to people today that it wouldn’t have in the past for obvious reasons."

We have pointed out the reasons why, even if it did appeal to someone, they are not worth that price. Buyers interested in Craughwell likely would have lower budgets, those with a budget for those houses would prefer to live in Oranmore or Galway, both nearby, both have very nice houses in the 700k price range, and both have a lot more going on that the village that is Craughwell.

If a lamborghini is in your budget, why would you buy a fiat punto for the same price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

That's a big rise for the ultra cautious ECB. That's a strong signal that the sh#t may be about to hit the fan, if it hasn't already done so.

Some big mortgage payment increases on the way. Has a feeling of 2007 around the place lately

Why do you think the arbitrary value you put on a property applies to everyone else? Time will tell if the market agrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do you ever get tired of playing devil's advocate?

Why are you commenting if you zero knowledge of the area. Location is the top factor in price point. So your opinion is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

In particular, this could assist Italy whose cost of borrowing has been creeping upwards in recent times amid political uncertainty in Government there and a mounting €2.759 trillion debt pile.

**** fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

What does this increase mean for the likes of me?

I signed a loan offer back in March with an interest rate of 1.9%.

I'm buying a new build which is due to be ready around November (assuming it's not delayed).

So I'll have to renew the loan offer again in September. Highly unlikely I'll get 1.9% again. Will this mean I'll be offered around 2.4% or is it possible the banks here don't have to increase their rates the full 0.5%?

Because the principals of property value apply countrywide.

It is not devils advocate to state that what you think the value of a property is, may not match the value the market puts on it. If you think your opinion defines the value, you are either deluded about your ability, or clueless about how markets work.

The value of that house is what someone is willing to pay for it. It’s that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭combat14

another .5% most likely on the cards for sept as well so you could be 2.9% instead of 1.9%

major concerns that consumers and businesses will tighten their belts now - many households down about 4k net of taxes this year when oil/gas heating, petrol/deisel fuel, electricity, food prices, new interest rate rises factored in.. this is just to basically thread water on last year.. many not getting pay rises to cover anywhere near rising inflation, rent increases, plus rising interest rates etc. serious risk of major recession on the cards heading into this winter as EU and russia play with cutting off gas supplies ..

anectodally many now thinking of holding off on large purchases to wait and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

That’s a bargain for craughwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Villa05

Property market has been dysfunctional in Ireland for 30 years. Choking supply sends price forever upwards as do falling % rates as does QE,

All 3 factors appear to be going in reverse

There is a difference between fair value and current market price

Advertisement