Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl v. Aldi Cordless Tools

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Don't Agree, I used to have a Corded Strimmer (Gave up on my petrol one 10 yrs ago) and a cheap Battery Powered Blower that lasted about 6 mins before dying, To edge and cleanup my grass was a pain in the ass as I had to unfurl a 50ml extension reel to strim and the blower did not last long enough. Now I have a Milwaukee Strimmer and Blower with a single 5 amp battery, I get the whole job done in 20 mins without any hassle and it turned what was a pain in the backside task into an enjoyable one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

2 Best invention in the Construction Industry

1. Silicone mastic
    2. 2. Cordless Screwdriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

LOL, I didn't realise you just pottered around the garden with your battery tools. When I do the first cut of the year on our river bank it takes 8 hours with a petrol strimmer. The thought of doing it with battery tools is laughable.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

While I'm still awake how do you propose I cut the grass on my river bank? Do I use a battery tool and spend all summer on the job?

There are jobs that battery tools are excellent for, screw driving is one on them. I can put 200 (probably a lot) more 50mm screws in with one charge on a 4Amp dewalt XR battery, but for garden work the same battery system there just isn't the power their to get much work done. If you are pottering around in a back garden then fine battery tools will do the garden work for you but no way are Petrol tools on the way out particularly when battery tools aren't up to the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one tool which i have but rarely use which might suit to use a battery version of, were i bothered, is a circular saw. it's a tool you'd move around with and would have to mind where the flex is.

On the whole I find my circular saw lacks power. With a corded tool if you start to go off line you can just force it back but you need to be much more careful with a battery powered circular saw. However its dead handy and saves a lot of time the odd time I do use. Had it up on a roof last year and it made the whole job really easy.

One tool I wouldn't be without now is my battery powered angle grinder I haven't used either of my corded ones in a couple of years and find something for the battery one virtually weekly.

Apart from the obvious battery drill/driver I find a battery powered multitool really useful it is probably the best get out of jail free card I have in my tool box.

Nearest neighbor has all Milwalkee tools and they are excellent probably a little better than my DeWalt but there is quite a large price difference. Neighbor in the other direction has quite a collection of Lidl's battery powered tools and I can find no real fault with them. The only negative which Lidl have fixed recently is their earlier battery tools only had 2Amp batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My dewalt cordless circular saw is one of my most used tools, but you absolutely have to use with a 5ah or more battery. The current is too high for those piddly 2ah batteries. I think its a fantastic tool, easy and safe to use, not as powerful as a corded but its cuts through mdf, batons with ease and I find it much easier to get a clean cut even without a guide or square. Very handy for the builders providers when you need to cut 16ft lengths to fit in the car, I'd never use a hand saw again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

For what you can buy dewalt starter tools for I don’t think Alidl tools represent good value.

Screwfix have good deals time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It depends on how often you are going to be using it, I have some absolutely random Aldi/Lidl tools I've bought for one off jobs. For a drill, driver, jigsaw, angle grinder and circular saw I would absolutely go dewalt. You can get a dewalt drill, 2 batteries and charger for about €150 or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I did thr same last week. Had to cut some wood to fit the car. Was done in 10 seconds.

I've an einhell battery powered tiller.

2 x 18v 4amp batteries. It does the job I need in the garden.

• Already have a lidl battery and charger. Anyone know if Aldi and Lidl batteries are the same? See a tool in Aldi but don’t want to buying another set of batteries and chargers.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement