Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

1. I don't think so. I tried to do it when I first set it up, but it was a no go, so I just put a huge mess of a password on it and ignore it.
    2. I don't see any setting for this, but in the support there is an article that mentions "Bypass mode" on the rectangular dish (mine is the circular model). See the screengrab below.
    3. Yes, it is on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

I did some reading after posting my questions and with the rectangular dish, it is yes to all my 3 questions.

Bridge mode works (when enabled it disables wifi) and there is 1gbe ethernet add-on for it.

What kind of speed are you getting and are you happy with the service?

Yeah. I'm happy enough with it. There can be times with some very short outages, like 5-20 seconds. I haven't noticed any in a while, though they do show up in the app. I think that because I don't have full visibility on the northern sky, that may be the reason.

I wrote that last sentence and then checked my visibility and it's the best I've ever seen it. 🙄

I generally get 200-250 down and 20-40 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭clodola

What prices are people in Ireland quoted to have these mounted, hole drilled through to the attic , I am getting 100 euro to 350 Euro ; big discrepancy in price, no idea if smoke off a Chimney would affect the signal

275 for me for this installation (including the pole and the fixings and also the drilling)

• Advertisement

Is the download truly unlimited or is there some throttling involved or any other form of limitations imposed?

I did some basic reading and confirmed that ATM it is fully and truly unlimited data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

No limits so far that I've noticed anyways. Speeds always pretty consistent in terms of being between 150-250Mb. Upload ~30Mb.

Consistently around the 300 mark for me. And 40-50 upload. Haven’t had any noticeable interruption since I got it

• Advertisement

Looks like Imagine LTE has sorted a problem on their network (until next one) and I my connection is back, touch wood, to being stable again.

What I am wondering about is how congested Starlink will eventually get in Ireland. I know it is all good now but I wonder how long the honeymoon will last. It would be shame to pay almost twice the Imagine price and end up in the same situation I am in ATM.

I guess only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

It’s a stopgap for most until NBI comes along. I think it’s more likely that Starlink won’t have any Irish customers by 2027

I am indeed with forecasted connection in 2027 so I will get lucky if they would connect me by 2035....

Why are you asking?

I love the optimism. How many times the dates were pushed with this project? I just cannot see it happening anytime close to what they say they will achieve. I would love to be proved wrong.

I just dont count on NBI at all. If it happens and when it happens I will take it but as well it could not exist at all, that is how little faith I have in it. I live 20km from Dublin and before Imagine I could barely get mobile internet... and nobody cared or could be arsed.

I really don't think that Starlink will become as oversubscribed in Ireland as something like Imagine, purely and simply because of the price.

If it wasn't for the fact that my previous FWA provider shut down their service a few weeks ago, I would still be paying €70pm for 10 down, 5 up from them (which was always very reliable). I then "enhanced" this with a Three PAYG €20pm unlimited SIM in a Huawei B525, which I bonded in my pfSense firewall to give me around 30 down, 20 up during most of the working day, until the children came home from school. From 3:30pm every school day I was only getting my FWA speeds. (EDIT:- The children I refer to are all of my neighbours children. There are quite a few.)

So the outlay of €99pm isn't a huge increase for me, but the equipment cost of €500, plus €60 shipping (as it was when I got it) will put most people off. For my business, I run a lot of online training sessions these last two years, so I must have good, stable broadband to do this. I cannot rely on 4G, as it is simply too variable and 5G is non-existent here in the hills of Tipperary. So I have to use Starlink as it is the only solution for my business until NBI gets their sh1t together in 2027 (I don't believe their 2025-2026 shyte).

I was talking to a neighbour who was looking for options before the FWA provider shut down. They were on the home package which was €35pm for 5 down, 1 up. He's a farmer, reasonably well off with a young family. I told him how much Starlink cost ... "Jesus! not a chance." and I think most people around here would be of the same mind. They'll go with a 4G connection, which will be immediately oversubscribed and go to absolute shlt after 3:30pm on school days.

My only concern with Starlink is ... will Putie Pie target it and DDOS it or shut it down in some other way. 😱

Post edited by ItHurtsWhenIP on

Ultimately you'll want to be on NBI(I'm assuming), so the question is whether Starlink will be congested between now and then. There's two facets to this:

1. Irish uptake of Starlink, which will be self-throttling somewhat by cost, and the continuing NBI rollout.
    2. The capabilities of Starlink itself. They're planning to launch a newer version of the Starlink satellites that has an "order of magnitude" better performance than the current constellation. However, the new satellites are larger, and SpaceX plans to use the new Starship to deploy them. Conservatively it will be 6-9 months before Starship is taking payloads.

So I expect Starlink would be a relatively safe bet until you get connected to NBI. More info here:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Have a starlink dish for sale. First generation. Anyone interested send me a mail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The price plus the fact that NBI have already connected alot of homes in prime blackspots already and I was in the middle of an absolute broadband black spot yesterday in the bogs of East Kerry, all fibred up, when I got home I found an Eircode for a landmark house and found that this house is ready to connect to NBI Fibre, this would be prime Starlink territory alot of the surrounding area done with EIR FTTH the last 3 years also.

I can never see congestion being a problem due to price, small population and the fact that the satellites over Ireland are only feeding Irish customers, you are not competing with lads in Idaho or Nova Scotia for bandwidth like a typical geo-syncronous Vsat product.

makes you wonder why he bothered with Ireland. I suppose it was a low risk test environment

• Advertisement

The had a relatively small investment to make (ground stations and ISP license) for potentially decent returns up the time NBI is rolled out.

Also, Ireland just happened to be in roughly the right latitude for connectivity:

Starlink is available to customers who live between 45 and 53 degrees latitude

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

Starlink is experimenting with lower monthly charges (€50 vs €100) and data cap (up 250 GB/month prioritised, €10/100GB for additional priority) in France.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-imposing-high-speed-data-caps-in-france-but-monthly-cost-will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Damn it, was always gonna happen, 250GB is to low in a family household, in my house with 2 teenagers we hit around 700GB with Imagine and sometimes even it 1TB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

250Gb is far too low these days. A single game download averages 60Gb and say two patches per month at 6-10Gb.

Add in 4k streaming and other downloads/usage.

Starlink is on a limited lifespan here in Ireland with FTTH rollout, but it would be great if the price reduced without the cap implementation during that time.

Yeh, if you’ve a sky dish, and can access entertainment that way, then maybe 250GB is enough. But, like me, if you have Starlink it is likely because you’ve no other providers. Everything is streaming. And so 250GB is nowhere near enough for even moderate use

• Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i'm building a new house, there is 500mb fiber broadband about 100m away , but it is between July-Dec 2024 before it will come up my road, according to NBI

Is the Starlink installation something like getting Sky installed after purchasing ? Just weighing up my options, or any other stop gap suggestions

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

While it does suck that it is a downgrade, it isn't necessarily as bad as it initially seems. The price is getting reduced by 50 euro a month and you can buy additional prioritised data. So, for the same money you actually get 750GB which isn't actually that bad. Over that it still works but might get slower. It depends on what that means. It could still be decent for using normally but your downloads take longer or it could be borderline unusable. It would be nice if they didn't count data between at certain times like the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Starlink is pretty much a self install plug and play. Take it out of the box, plug everything in and let the dish point at the sky. It can get a bit more involved making it a permanent install like finding a suitable fixing point and routing cables but nothing major if you are handy with that kind of stuff. You can download the starlink app (without signing up) and use it to test for obstructions to be sure the location is suitable before hand. Starlink runs off a monthly rolling contract so that is a positive for not getting committed to a long term contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

For the antenna's final position, it requires a clear view of the sky in all directions.

• Advertisement

The Starlink app will give you a good idea of the visibility. I'm limited on the northern side by a line of trees, but it doesn't cause me much in the way of problems.

Advertisement