Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD Ciaran Cannon hit by SUV, suffers serious injury

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nobody is saying you are wrong.

Yes Cannon could have slowed down, anticipating that a car might turn right.

The issue that cyclists on this forum have (I am assuming) with that type of discussion is that it focuses the responsibility on the cyclist and not on the driver.

In much the same way that you hear of a cyclist being hit by a car, and the first thing after is 'and they werent wearing a helmet and/or hi viz'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You are the first regular poster to say that in a 3 month old thread; they are refusing to discuss it openly.

Two very regular posters have just avoided the question like it wasn't asked or stated they won't.

An honest discussion could actually be beneficial to cyclists but instead as a forum its tribal with no room for nuance.

As a cyclist the only way you can reduce your risk is your own behaviour; route selection, road craft etc etc. You can't change (unless as a lobby group) how god/bad or indifferent other road users are.

Highway code rule 88 for motorbikes (snippet)

"Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low."

From Carole Nash insurance consultants

"Often when you decide to filter through a line of slow moving traffic, it’s easy to not notice that one of the cars has left a gap, so that someone can suddenly pull out from a side road and turn right. Before you know it, someone has waved this other driver out and they likely can’t see you coming when they pull out. This is exactly the scenario that leads to the most accidents.

When you’re filtering you need to keep the difference in speed between you and the cars as low as you reasonably can."

I know filtering is different but it is useful from a safety perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm saying he's wrong.

There is no speed slow or stopped, walking or cycling, that will enable you to dodge out of the way of a car that suddenly drives at you, at speed without looking.

Its nonsense.

If someone ain't looking they aren't going to see you. Because its become THEIR habit not to look. Its not a problem of visibility. Its a problem of learned behavior. Bad habits. They turn without looking. Worse they do it at speed thinking it mitigates not looking. Well it doesn't.

So what can the cyclist do, since we are pushing prevention on the cyclist. Go at a snails pace. Go a different route, since its often poor layout that attracts poor driver behavior in the first place. Physically separated infrastructure, (yeah paint isn't it), wand, kerbs etc. Remove cars from the route. Driver education, education through enforcement (none in this case)

At the end of the day you have to deal what's there. Often in Ireland that means being on a less than idea road. Cycling on the left, alongside traffic, alongside entrances and junctions is just normal cycling. The majority of the time its not an issue.

Bad driving is habitual. If you see a car doing it, and you happen to be following, it won't a isolated insolated incident. They were do more bad driving as you follow. Which is why the rampant lack of enforcement, is a contributory factor.

So cycling slower, watching for gaps in traffic/brake lights when overtaking on left(or indeed filtering on right) will make no difference on a probability basis to the risk of impact with a right turning vehicle(or one emerging from the left and turning right when filtering)?

Really? Please explain.

While you are at explain how a driver can see Cannon at 1m out from line of cars before his bumper is in front of his intended line of travel?

A cyclist undertaking/filtering is powerless to reduce ones risk is such scenarios.

The advice is Highway code 88 and any amount of motorbike guidance on filtering is wrong/worthless?

Really? Please explain.

• Advertisement

What do you want here?

Because you have done exactly what cyclists are trying to avoid in this scenario, which is turn it into a big long discussion on why cyclists are the problem, deflecting the discussion from driver behaviour which caused the collision in the first place.

I would think most cyclist in the real world would want to avoid being hit?

An open discussion, without avoiding difficult nuanced topics, might get us there?

If that's ok with you?

Well Ciaran is healed after the accident so this thread appears to have run its course and has now just descended into "naughty cyclist" territory so I'm out

I've already explained. It's not Hollywood where you dive out of the way of car, after 20 takes.

Now you're trying day the driver can't see but thats ok because bumpers...but the cyclist should be able to see through a wall of 2 tonne SUVs with tinted glass. Or they should stop and check before passing every vehicle.

...oh wait that's what the driver was meant to do. ...

The only way a cyclist will avoid being hit in this scenario is come to a stop as they pass every car. That's not cycling that's walking.

Even then it's doubtful anyone walking would have avoided being hit by someone diving blind for a gap at speed. There wasn't time to react at the speed the car was moving.

• Advertisement

It's like he's trying to imply if the cyclists travel slower they'll give the drivers more time to react when driving too fast and blind.

If the driver is blind and traveling too fast. Nothing the cyclist or pedestrians can do will change the laws of physics.

A common tactic by media is to lump cyclists in with motorbikes statistics to make cycling look more dangerous. You know when someone trots out motorbikes in a cycling thread where the agenda is.

Ah hang on.

Most cyclists want to avoid being hit.

If you take it to the Nth, then just dont cycle......

There are many many strands to discussion of 'avoid being hit'.

You are focussing on just one of these - modify cyclist behaviour, and turned it into just a discussion on that and nothing else.

LOL

I mean All, not Most.

Diving into gaps, or left hook turns by drivers are effectively sucker punches for cyclists and other road users.

"...is a punch made without warning allowing no time for preparation or defense on the part of the recipient. ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I have a friend who was in an accident similar to this one while riding his bike. The difference was he was the one turning across traffic when a gap was left for him. He swung across the road and got clobbered by another vehicle coming up the inside lane (a motorbike). He was relating the story to me and was contemplating all sorts of legal actions. I was sympathetic to his injuries and misfortune, but the reality was that he was entirely at fault in this case, like the driver of the SUV in the Cannon accident.

In terms of visibility, the SUV driver could see over the top of the car that stopped, if they had been bothered to look.

Coming from the other direction, I can't count the amount of times a car has done a right hook across my path when I have been the only vehicle approaching a junction going straight on. The right turn from Merrion Square to Holles Street, and the right turn from Mount Street Bridge on to Clanwilliam Place are two black spots where I have been constantly menaced by drivers who feel it okay to swing in front of me because I'm on a bike. I can't say for sure if it is because they couldn't see me (ie. didn't look), or they did see me and felt I was less important. I tended to take the lane, get out of the saddle, and glower at the driver edging towards a turn into my path. Didn't always help, so it really is up to the drivers to start driving better to keep other road users safe.

Another classic is jump the lights and turn across in front of oncoming traffic. Or turn in just behind a box truck/van without looking to see if there's a cyclist there.

..and people wonder why cyclists won't stay in the cycle lane, but go middle of the lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Who actually thinks Ciaran was going fast, didn't look fast to me. I don't think going slower would have made much difference. Slower and Ciaran would have been into the side/rear even with breaking (he has barely any time to react). He was wasn't wearing dark clothing, his head was above the slowed traffic so he was visible, it was bright. The driver simply did not look. It should have been prosecuted, even if you think Ciarans cycling could have been better (I don't think it could have been). The DPP decided not too. There was enough there that the Gardai felt it warranted enough for them to look into. Were the DPP warranted, questionable. It wasn't intentional (one hopes), the gardai could have easily issued multiple FPNs, which means they thought it was serious enough to warrant more action. The DPP made a decision for reasons none of us here know and until someone requests that info, we may stop talking out our hole about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we may stop talking out our hole about it.

hello and welcome to boards dot ie

Post edited by magicbastarder on

...but but isn't there someway we can blame the cyclist....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He's not "wrong" and certainly not legally culpable, but maybe if Cannon had been a bit more aware of traffic he might have avoided the injury.

Yes, I know the driver should have seen him, but the car on Cannon's side of the road had stopped at a junction where it too had the right of way. That is a clear signal that something is happening. He cycled into a junction where he couldn't see what was coming. He may have been entitled to do so but it wasn't smart.

The fact that he had right of way means (I presume?) he got his insurance payout. It doesn't mean he couldn't have done anything to avoid being hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

This type of opinion just emphasises how culturally far removed we are from a society where pedestrians and cyclists are given due respect by motorists. It's it the embodiment of car centric thinking. Drivers don't even need to bother checking if the way is clear of vulnerable road users. Sure why would it even occur to them. Until drivers are held accountable for the lack of basic observation we are going nowhere towards equitable sharing of roadspace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And maybe the girl shouldn't have dressed that way or gone into that club or drank so much. Classic victim blaming going on in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well you are doing your best to drag it down further.

it makes sense for every road user to protect themselves if they are unsure in any way. Recently I was out for a run and came to a pedestrian crossing , it was green for me but it didn’t appear that the cyclist coming towards me was minded to stop so I waited and sure enough they didn’t stop, didn’t even check the lights , blasted straight through, if I had to have kept running we both would have taken a nasty fall, I would have been the injured party and in the right but I don’t see that as much consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Wtf like. What sort of response is that.

Cannon tweets about nothing except how cyclists are great and motorists are c*nts. He is drawing a TDs salary to be a full time advocate for cyclists. Fair enough.

Except he doesn't seem to take account of that when he's on his bike. He was every bit as unaware of other road users as the driver was. In spite of knowing how dangerous motorists are, he didn't incorporate that into his own behaviour.

I knew someone would make some outlandish comparison to rape. Utterly unhelpful and a deliberate diversion away from the question.

Put it this way. I leave my bike unlocked on O'Connell Street and go into a restaurant for two hours, and I come out and it's gone. Is it my fault the bike got stolen? No. Could I have been more careful and perhaps avoided it, knowing Dublin is full of bike thieves? Absolutely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But even if a car wasn't turning the driver still should have stopped. Basically an implied yellow box. As for Ciaran, what, about 20kmph, a solitary second to react. People making out he had his head down and was doing tour de France speeds. He was on a commuter, head up, easy to see and not going fast. The driver should have crawled across, until he could see it was clear, simples.

Got nothing to do with this thread.

Nothing a cyclist can do unless the cyclist on the road stops at every car they pass and every turn and entrance. Its nonsense.

Imagine I said when driving a car stop every time you pass a car, and driveway, every time a pedestrian could potentially cross the road. You'd think that ridiculous.

So if you are driving you should top every time you pass a pedestrian because they could potentially just run across the road. That's what you're implying for a cyclist.

Because cycling normally down a road, passing cars, driveways, junctions, isn't normally a dangerous situation like you're implying.

If was comparable to not locking a bike, it would mean there was a near 95% chance every time you passed a car, or entrance, etc., you would get knocked down and killed. Which obviously doesn't happen.

Ultimately we want more people cycling not driving.

Alienating cyclist is not going to achieve that.

We want less traffic. More people driving and less cycling won't achieve that either.

• Advertisement

Cops/DPP won't follow up on an incident like that.

You're almost guaranteed to get your bike stolen.

Join the dots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement