Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Might have not found this yet, but when can you start to switch, my plan is due to expire in August, do you do it closer to the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Moving2017

If you switch before you’re out of contact you’ll be hit with the early exit fee so I move the morning after my contract end date!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I switch the day after my contract expires. If my contract expired on the 18th I would initiate the switch on the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nice one, I'll be ringing Energia when my contract is almost up to see if I can get that same deal. 135 euro would definitely take the sting out of the first bill too.

I think all the energy companies are due to go for another price hike in Sept/Oct so the main thing is getting a good discounted rate now and Energias 41% off the unit rate seems to be as good as it gets in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Hmm I didn't get the 135 on bonkers.ie

Is that advertised anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I wasn't aware of it at the time, my latest bill came in a few weeks ago and there was a line "Cashback Amount" for about 60 Euro or so. When I checked my Bonkers confirmation order I see "Cashback Amount" for 135, I'm assuming they have split this into two, we'll see on the next bill.

It takes a few weeks for the switch to go through once initiated for some reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yep, but it's the date you actually switched that counts for the contract duration, and once it's all sorted you will be billed from that date by your new supplier and that will be the date of your final bill from the old supplier, so that's the date to remember.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

More like continue disgracing themselves at the party!

My electricity costs are already up from 17c to 33c per kWh since last August, badly need to switch!

Insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Not sure if ok to post here or which forum area to post it in, looking for advice whats best to do

• I will be moving into a house soon where the account is electric ireland ,and need it in my name.
    • In my current home my name is not on the the electric bill.

Have i no choice firstly but to switch the account over to electric ireland when i move? , in order to get the bill in my name.

I dont want to simply switch account and then get fleeced, or would a new account get me some introductory value with electric ireland.

Current home i am in , bills were ranging 115 euro every 2 months now up to 160-175 etc ( leaving aside the government credit )

Any advice what to do ?

Thanks

I think you are free to switch when you move in. Whoever is on the bill on the day of moving out should be taking a meter reading and submitting it so they pay the final bill. You should read it with them as the reading is the starting point for your own bill when you get it into your name, just make sure they dont under read the meter or else you'l get landed with paying for electricity that they used. Also take note of the MPRN number on the meter, you'll need this for the phone call.

You could then ring Electric Ireland and tell them you are a new customer and ask if they will apply a discounted rate on that basis. But do shop around as there might be better offers out there.

Thanks for the reply, its a smart meter installed in the property now, and a family member i am taking over the property from ,so should be fine on accurate readings.

Just need to get the bill into my own name, reading on electric ireland website, it seems relatively easy online to do, however i dont want to walk myself into a long term deal and get stung massively , all for the sake of having the bill in my own name.

I cant work out from other providers if they will let me make a name change and new customer transfer to them all in one hit.

I never had /have any clue about ESB bills, the family member has shared me a copy of their current bill and paying a unit price of 0.2580 and standing order of 0.8589 per day, is this good bad or indifferent ?

The unit price of 0.2580 is their standard non discounted price excluding VAT & the standing charge of 0.8589 per day is their ex VAT rural daily charge. These will be increasing to 0.2872 & 0.9564 ex VAT with effect from 1 Aug 22. From the info provided it would appear that this is a non discounted 24 hour account. You should scrutinise the bill further for indications of any discounts or price plan details.

Thanks very much for your help, i am learning !

Yeah just took a look at the bill further, no mention of any discounts apart from " pay on time " credit of €2.22 .

Standing charge, PSO levy + vat 9% + credit mentioned on the bill only.

So by signing up as a new customer /account to take over the bill of the house i am moving into, i would surely gain the introductory benefit/discount for 12 months ? Would you think i am right on that ?I was dealing with Electric Ireland via social media platform, but so far finding them totally useless to get an informative answer.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Any one know what's the best smart meter rate 11pm -8am rate?

Thanks

My research into smart meter price plans shows that they work out dearer based on my usage. I don't have a smart meter but do have a day/night meter & am a rural customer. I recently switched to Electric Ireland at end of contract with Bord Gais Energy. When I switched EI were the cheapest but that will change when their new rates come into effect on 1st August. However, other suppliers will probably increase their prices before long.

My current discounted ex VAT prices are:

Day 0.1929

Night 0.0952

SC 1.0919 p/day (398.54 p/a)

Post 1st August discounted ex VAT prices will be:

Day 0.2148

Night 0.1060

SC 1.2158 p/day (443.77 p/a)

I'm on their 30% discount plan & they also gave me a €50 sign up credit. The credit is not included in the above prices.

I cant work out from other providers if they will let me make a name change and new customer transfer to them all in one hit.

I think once you have a meter reading and the MPRN number on the meter then you'll be fine to switch provider and make a name change over the phone. I did it a few years back and I never remember them asking me for a passport or anything to prove my identity, they just take you at face value as the next person who is going to be paying the bill.

As for your rate as gooser said it is not a discounted rate and you will be able to do better than that for a 12 month contract. Check bonkers.ie and see what it turns up. If you are a low user of electricity the main thing is to look for a daily standing charge that is low, if you are a heavy user you will want a low unit rate.

100% Electric Ireland should give you a discounted introductory rate as you are a new customer to them. If they dont then shop elsewhere. Ring them up as social media isnt the best way to deal with this. But also check Bonkers so you have prices to compare Electric Ireland to. And dont feel pressured to sign up to EI on the phone call, just write down the rates for the standing charge and unit rates they are offering you and clarify if they are including VAT or not. Then compare other offers on Bonkers and see whats best for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Bonkers.ie not always update with latest products/plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

You can always sign-up with EI but if you find a better deal you can cancel within 14 days.

@asku is correct you may get a better deal going direct than through bonkers or switcher. Money guide Ireland website. has a pretty up-to-date article on the various options usually.

You are in the best possible position at the moment as a new customer with the pick of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

440 for 2 years. I'd be keen on this one but I have solar panels. Took ei bonus last Jan and still in credit...

My loan for the solar panels is paid off in 2 years time... then its free leccy for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Are the smart plans worth going on I wonder? I live on my own and work 5 days a week out of the house. I don't cook and I don't have a dishwasher.

I'm wondering if I wash my clothes in the off peak times would I save money or should I just go with the best flat rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hi folks, I've just moved to EI after having switched from SSE. SSE had a good app and I could throw a few quid into it weekly so that by the time the bill actually came around it was almost paid.

I have tried looking at EI for a similar app or payment method but they only have a PAYG meter top up app, which doesn't suit me as I haven't a PAYG meter.

Are there any ways I can top up online on a weekly/ bi-weekly term so as to mitigate the large two monthly bill?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

You can login online and add credit. If you go to Bill & Payments and click "pay now", at the bottom there is an option to change the amount. This allows you to add credit to your account. Certainly my plan for winter and gas.

If you use Revolut you could their Pockets or Vaults facilities to hold the money until required to pay the bill.

In my own case I move money for thinks like electricity, car tax etc, into my BoI savings account monthly & use a simple Excel spreadsheet for tracking purposes. Works well for me.

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi All,

Been out if contract a a few months now.

We have an urban smart meter and we are dual fuel.

Bonkers is suggesting SSE as the best provider.

Has anyone had issues with SSE?

Using Bonkers to they manage the swtich over or do I have to cancel EI?

Any issues/things to be aware of when switching?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

Based on bonkers I just switched to sse, no idea what they are like though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bonkers are showing BG as best dual fuel for me.

Question re smart meter- do you have to go for a smart meter plan as they seem more expensive than a good 24hour rate

Advertisement