Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog snapped at daughters friend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Of course it is. Never trust a dog , end of. Never approach a dog you dont know. Never go near a dog who's eating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It sounds like we are in agreement then, persisting with petting a dog who has growled is a bad move. Both you and I must have learned this at some point along our lives, now this family/visitor have done the same.

First time I visited a farm I was told how to approach different animals, direction, movement etc.

First time I visited a warehouse I was told how to approach machinery/forklifts etc.

Good old common sense, I think we probably share that value. Unlike the visitor in the OP who persisted with giving the dog attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

But i think you are missing the point. What we are saying, is the way to protect/stop the dog from doing it again is to learn/read the dogs body language and be sure everyone who comes into the house knows not to approach the dog/pet the dog. Give the dog the space it needs from strangers and it wont happen again.

People also need to take personal responsibility. The dog did not run up to the child and snap at it! The child reached out to try and pet the dog that had been growling and keeping its distance. Nobody stepped in to stop her. If i tried to pet a dog that was growling at me and it bit me - i would think it was my fault and would take no further action If my child tried to pet a dog that was growling at it then depending on the age I would think it was their fault if it got bit. Younger than 5 or 6 then it would be my fault for letting them get that close to a dog that it could bite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Id get rid of a dog that snapped at a kid for no good reason. Ive been castigated on here for it though. Just not worth the potential danger/hassle going forward.

and to this day I don't trust her when a kid runs over and trys to pet her ,not that I always say no but I am very wary and discourage it.

If you say you don't trust her you should always say no.

Why do you allow kids to run up to your dog? Why are you putting your dog at risk like that? Don't you care about her?

Because if something did happen, you'd obviously blame her instead of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

It boils down to common sense ok. My kids were always taught to be wary of dogs, any dogs whether they were family pets or random dogs they came across.

We have a retriever and you could not get a more docile dog if you tried. He was asleep on the kitchen floor and a visiting child happened to step on his tail. Dog jumped up and growled like i never heard before. i grabbed child to shield him just in case,

He has never done anything like this before or since and that was 8 years ago. He was just taken completely by surprise.

Calls to have dog put down are a bit extreme IMO. Calls to bar the teenager also extreme

Putting animals above humans is also extreme !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

Maybe in an ideal world but on a few occasions kids have blind sided me while walking or sitting outdoors and before you know it they are petting your dog.Now luckily my dog behaved but if she was a snapper I would definitely muzzle her to protect her as much as the kid.Its probably not fair but its the way of the litigious world we live in,especially in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

There are a lot of irresponsible people out there who think that it is someone else’s responsibility to keep their kids save from any harm. There have been several instances where I have had to tell parents to keep their children away from my dog. The dog had done nothing wrong, but it was the children running over to touch it, often even from behind. Often they had even been encouraged by their parent to “say hello to the doggy”, which is even worse.

My dog has never show any signs of aggression towards a child, but he has been trained to stay clear off kids since he was small. I am not responsible for other people’s children or their well-being and they can get hurt or maimed all they like. My responsibility is towards my dog and that he is not the one who does the causes the hurt. It pisses me off so much when people don’t think that they need to teach their children these basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You don't expect anything of children??? So you just let your kids wander around doing what they want because they're kids and the world should move for them instead of teaching a few basic skills like don't touch a dog, parental responsibilities don't stop with hoping the dog doesn't bite and overreacting then when it leaves a mark on your little prince's arm because he was aggravating the dog

Agreed. I had a beautiful spaniel with big soft brown eyes, long floppy ears and a silky coat for 14 years. I think due to her prettiness, small to medium size and non-threatening appearance, parents thought it was safe to just let their kids run up to her and pet her. It used to drive me mad. I never allowed it.

• Advertisement

People are the same with my dog because he is small. I never let anyone near him. He has snapped before so if i see a child approach I put my body between them and my dog and say he is not friendly. Children for the most part tend to listen and back away, but I do sometimes get dirty looks from their parents. But what I find the worst are grown adults (almost ALWAYS men) who ignore what I say and reach out to pet him. I always tell them he does not like to be touched by strangers and he would snap if you try. He is a small dog and having a large adult man he does not know leaning over him puts him on edge. And the response is "but he looks so cute and small" as they reach out they see him growl and back away while i pull my dog away from them. It drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Parents need to be responsible and teach their kids to stay away from dogs absolutely. However dog owners also need to be responsible and realise that their dog may not be the docile pet they think they are - this is the mistake owners often make in thinking that their dogs are perfect and wont harm a fly. Just because you think you trained your dog well doesnt mean they wont misbehave. A dog is a dog after all and can snap without aggravation. I always keep my dog on a lead when out in public. When out walking with my children on beaches and parks we are constantly annoyed by other dogs off lead running over to us jumping up etc - its so irresponsible. The owners are so blind to how their dog is behaving and annoying others.

Im genuinely shocked by some peoples attitude that their dog can do no wrong and that if their dog misbehaves its someone elses fault.

I'm in full agreement with you, my point is in public children should stay away from dogs and dogs should be on leads I'm under no illusion dogs are unpredictable and a dog off lead wandering around is looking for trouble, that's why in public my dog is always on lead, at home anyone that visits my home is told to wait till the dog has a good sniff until rubbing him, I've never seen him be aggressive once he gets a minute to sniff you out but barks the place down until he gets out to meet them, as any good house dog should

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

A little brat of a kid shouted abuse at me at traffic lights. Can that child be put down?

For the OP, my guess is the dog is very close to your daughter and simply did not want to "share" her with anyone until they made up their mind 😁, absolutely nothing to worry about, but don't expect dogs to welcome new people with open arms - they need a little time to sniff the person out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

@still i think your gone off the rails, but i will indulge, mainly cos i think its aggravating you. :) dog owners are ultimately liable for an injuries caused by the dog. Dogs should be under the owners control at all times. and as far as im aware thats the law. If your dog bites my kid, it will be put down, and potentially in front of you. if my dogs bite anyone, they will reach the same fate, in both cases it will be with the full extent of the law.

Poeple>dogs. Thats why dogs are kept as pets. not the other way around (in most cases, likely except yours and the easy lady)

Not at all, I'm fully aware the way it is and being from a farming background I'm under no illusions as to the place animals have in our lives, I'm not talking about out of control dogs I'm talking about children or adults approaching dogs they don't know and getting warned or worse, bitten as a result, if parents can't teach their kids to stay away from dogs I'd be of the opinion the parent is at fault for the child getting bitten, tough **** really, and as an adult if your first instinct is to pet a dog you're not sure of then you kinda deserve a good reminder to back off, and a dog biting anyone is not an immediate death sentence, there's plenty cases where dogs have got a reprieve after being found to have been goaded or intimidated or indeed just protecting their patch, as for being aggravated, I'm afraid not, i find this sort of conversation stimulating as I can cast a few out and see what I catch 🎣, so far I'm doing well and not disappointed

If your dog bites my child because my child went to pet your dog , its getting put down. Zero chance of a reprieve, your dog is dead , like i was dead earlier in the thread.

If your dog bites my kid, it will be put down, and potentially in front of you.

This is simply not true. You obviously don't know the law as well as you think you do.

Describe what would happen if your dog bit my child in a public place? A serious bite now , a serious injury. And the provocation was my child trying to pet the dog. describe the law there , the dog would be 100% put down.

• Advertisement

I'm not researching your hypotheticals for you. Do your own research.

The fact is a dog bite is not an automatic death sentence for the dog. The circumstances are taken into consideration.

The last dog I applied to adopt had a bite history - more than one. The rescue was completely up front about the dog's bite history.

By your "legal standards", that dog should be dead. It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Then you should have minded your precious offspring like any responsible parent would. Own fault.

Now you're just trolling, you know that's not how it works, plus if you're child was at fault causing my under control dog to bite you'd have to know who I was because no way would I be giving you my name and address, if you can't train your offspring to respect my space in public I'm as likely tell them to fcuk off as my dog is to bite them, spend more time training your kids not to invade personal space

If your child approached my dog trying to pet it while it was out on lead or in my home and did not listen to me when I said to stop. It would not get close enough to my dog for him to bite. I would physically hold your child back and scream at you to control your child.

If somehow it forced itself past me to my dog to pet it and he bit, then I guarantee my dog would not be put down!

No , an unprovoked serious bite WILL of course be a death sentence.

Well you sound responsible but i guarantee if your dog bit and injured my child because the child went to pet it , it would be put down. Especially if there was a serious injury.

About 4 people in a row think that if a child goes to pet a dog and the dog bites back causing serious injury , the dog shouldnt be put down. Yous all claim to have control of your dog. Not a chance do you not take your dogs off the leash. Crackpots.

• Advertisement

Stop writing cheques you can't cash, you're just rambling at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement