Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

People are going to march up and down the street. And local representatives will make lots of speeches from the back of a truck.

You know what will happen next? That's right, the bank will shut down the services as announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Not just Kerry, It's all around the country, not so sure why Kerry's protest is getting so much of the publicity.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Do you not have Post Offices in Kerry, or are you still using stagecoaches to move the mail around?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because of the All Ireland? I think the numbers show all of Kerry losing AIB ATM's. That's harsh.

As that paragon of political wisdom Danny Healey-Rae said, "They're closing post offices, too." He has a point, much like a stopped analogue clock is right twice a day.

• Advertisement

There a lot more Post Offices than there are AIB Branches though.

What your missing though, is the loss of the ATM's will be more impactful. In a town like Dingle which survives on tourist trade, there'll be one ATM on the street - BoI. Tour busses regularly disgorge people in front of it. Imagine if it's busted or out of funds. Today, they can try the AIB ATM. Soon, no. Shortsighted. Sure, AIB customers can get cash at the PO, but even that's less convenient - can't get it after hours like they can today at the ATM, for example.

Saying "Use the PO instead" means "Get used to less services" like so much nowadays.

Not clear why AIB are doing this, there's tonnes of money in Ireland why can't the banks make a go of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Honestly I can't see what the hullabaloo is over. Banks have essentially being limiting services at branches for years, they almost treat any customers going into them with contempt, they just don't want to be bothered by customers.

I can fully appreciate that this decision will have an impact on vulnerable or elderly customers and Cash Businesses but AIB have facilities and access to cash at the P/O network and are in discussions to expand those services.

I personally wouldn't touch AIB with a barge pole and had been with KBC who've not had a branch network for years and no partnership with an post, obviously I'm computer and tech savy and can navigate apps and online banking and not everyone can.

Bank branches, like Network mobile phone shops and the presence on the High Street by many business will be a thing of the past in the next decade, that's just a reality.

Obviously closures of rural Post offices is a concern but this government seems determined to keep this network open, albeit with a reduction of locations.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Do you still barter?

Cash is finished, get Google pay and move on.

Because people in Ireland whinge about paying bank charges. Does everyone expect AIB to provide this service for free?

AIB can see the writing on the wall for cash. Card transactions are growing hugely in popularity and value, particularly after Covid and people not wanting to handle manky notes and coins.

Card/tap transactions are quicker, safer and more convenient than cash.

Drug dealers and tax evaders will be most disappointed, everyone else will acclimatise.

• Advertisement

Until someone breaks into the tap network or there's a huge leak of ID's or whatever. And as pointed out, many older folks don't have smartphones nor want them. Cash has its place and always will. Will you tip the paperboy with a tap? Can't' wait to see the tap terminals in churches (I know, they exist in the US not sure about Ireland.) Collection plate readers, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Am I missing something here?

I can think of dozens of ATMs near me in places like Spar, Centra, filling stations, super markets and other services like lodgment can be done at the post office, whats the big issue?

Do shops not give cash back in kerry? Is it illegal to have an ATM other than outside a bank in kerry? How do these people get the cash out of an atm they don't have a card which could be easily tapped at any shop? Are sum up terminals illegal in kerry? Is it illegal to change banks in kerry?

My account is with AIB by the way.

No, not yet, a few more months, they are winding down, its believed all accounts will be closed by January, I've already set up new accounts, but maintaing KBC until the end as they've waived all Bank charges for the remainder of their time here. I'll miss them, honestly never had a single issue with them and app, brilliant.

Only the elderly at church, so no need for a card reader as they don't use phones or cards apparently.

And that's absolutely nonsense,many elderly have phones and debit cards and are well capable of using them. If an elderly person can withdraw cash from an ATM they can tap a card or insert it to the terminal and enter their pin.

Tips go on the card when paying the bill, so yes I'll be tipping by card.

Paperboy? Have we gone back to the 1970s?

FFS. There's always needs for cash. Tips, donation boxes, whatever. Cashless society's been predicted for the last 50 years, not going to happen.

What's bad about this is the endless reduction of services by the 'service economy.' They care about us very much, except not more than maximizing profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fcuk cashless.

Not really, donations and tips can be made by card. Why would these transactions need to be made by cash?

Donations by card will likely be higher than cash, you're not going to tap a card for 50cent but that kind of shrapnel is what gets thrown into charity buckets. So I'd wager charities will be benefit from the move to cashless.

A poster on another thread mentioned he's been living in Sweden for a couple of years and has used cash 3 times. It's day is done. Ireland just slow to the party as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, excellent point and handier and safer than getting cash outside a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KBC still have a branch network... albeit they're leaving entirely.

They closed a few branches during the will they/won't they stage of deciding to leave Ireland but the others are still going. And still selling new services surreally.

In 2012 I couldn't find a single working ATM in Malmo - the one that was working for a few Swedish customers was not a member of an interbank system that BOI used. I had no trouble buying anything with card.

Ah but don't forget about the legends / cute hoors in Ireland who take cash, don't pay tax, then moan about the crap public services we have here, and then say why can't we be more like the Nordic countries...

This week I tried to rent out an apartment before going homeless.

Non-cash system caused me to lose the apartment as first when trying to secure the apartment I couldn't send the deposit, as when I set up the new payee, I can only send €1000 in first 48 hours.

The landlord was willing to wait until 48 hours thankfully.

Then when I could send the 1st month rent, the app doesn't accept my pin and my account gets locked. Tried resetting the pin using automatic call as after 5pm. Still locked.

Wouldn't be surprised if the landlord says forget it. Must think we are right chancers. If only they accepted cash.

They have a Hub network which is akin to a Kiosk service and not a full branch service , in the many years I've been with KBC , I've not stepped inside one once and only a handful of these around the country, I'd hardly call that a branch network, which they closed years ago.

Yeah, Ireland's online banking is pretty pathetic. I can't install the BoI app on my phone (too old.) Nor do I want it, herself has it and it's a nightmare and so much less secure than their website was. Lose the phone and if the bad guys can unlock it, it's off to the races.

That's all they ever had though?

Are you thinking of ACC, which became Rabobank? They had and closed a branch network.

First Active (subsumed to Ulster), BOSI->Halifax and Danske are the other total 21st century branch network closures.

You're watching too many James Bond movies mate. What happens when you lose a wallet with cash in it, gone forever.

Put proper security features on your phone and you'll be fine.

No , KBC Had a full branch network when they arrived, I'm unsure if they took over NIB or Dansk bank branches but definitely had branches, I actually opened my account in their NAAS ,branch. They briefly expanded the branch network but eventually went essentially digital and opened a few Hubs around the country but very few

• Advertisement

KBC 'arrived' in Ireland in the 1970s when they bought IIB (that didn't had branches). They only rebranded to KBC in the late 00s or early 10s. They absolutely had no branch network prior to the rebrand. They never bought anyone elses branch network, they only started with the Hubs when they went full service in the mid 10s.

I'm really, really sure you're thinking of ACC here.

Advertisement