Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks to earlier comments, have managed to open the regular Guinness cans with the thumb tack approach.

Just curious could the device be used on non Guinness cans of stout /porter? I mean regular cans with no widget or anything, just intended to be opened a d poured?

Anyone have issues charging the device? I haven't been able to charge it, have tried about 5 different plug heads, direct into USB wall outlets and what not (and a variety of cables)... No joy. Thankfully I haven't ran out of battery yet but must be getting very close to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've used it top non-nitro dark beers - just the very last bit though. They have to be low carbonated in my experience - drunkenly tried it with a dark lager and much spillage (and only a tiny bit too).

Obviously, pin trick also works with other nitro widget cans like O'Hara's Stout and Red, Kilkenny, Beamish, Murphy's etc.

No issues charging with me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Having finally got confident with the "push pin" on a regular can......

Where can I find 538ml cans of Guinness now? Have run out of my pre-minimum unit pricing big stock up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

Same here. Drank my last one last night. Back to 500s for me - not paying the nonsense price for Nitro cans. The 538s seemed to be a seasonal special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

You’ll have better luck finding a 500ml glass I’m afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭POBox19

You'll pay a 35% premium to fill a pint glass in Tesco's at the moment.

While in Tesco NI, you save around 15% compared to the south, but your pint glass will be well short with 440s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Am I the only one finding the cans in general not just the Nitro ones shite lately? I have resorted to using a 500ml glass and buying the cheaper standard cans when using the NitroSurge because special cans went a bit crap but the normal ones are just as bad if not worse!

I have tried them at different temperature's different ways of cleaning the glass etc etc but makes no difference most of the cans just taste crap and go flat very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Yes definitely agree, I noticed the normal cans go flat very fast and just don’t taste as nice.

• Advertisement

It's bloody annoying! You pour a lovely-looking pint the first sup is fairly good nice and creamy then it just dies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I notice the 8 pack cans are not as nice anymore they seem to go flat after a while the 8 pack cans appear to be canned in Runcorn for the last few months and not Belfast - check the base of can before your buy.

Code on base after best before date GH caned in Runcorn

Code on base GE after best before date canned in marshals road east Belfast - seem to be the better can but only in 12 or 15 packs lately.

Also if you buy your cans up north or in England on some of the 440ml cans the code GJ these are canned in Runcorn also

could be oppistite for some people

just my preference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yep I thought it was just me, and maybe the heat in general. The taste is definitely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds similar to the standard cans tesck were selling at Christmas with the different ring pull on top. Ring pull hinge was square instead of circular and the Guinness in the square hinge can was rotten. Worlds apart from the circular hinge can . Noticably rubbish. My assumption is the rubbish stuff was being brought in from the UK due to the can hinge it looked abnormal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guinness isn't canned in ROI at all - all the cans are coming from the UK! That's where the tankers you see are going - to packaging plants.

I think their last volume retail packaging - Dundalk - closed in 2001

Different can type could easily a different packaging plant, the beer inside is all made in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Yes that’s correct see my post above how to identify where your CDG has been packed.

Diageo also use an outsourced packing company for hop house 13 / Rockshore / Carlsberg etc in Hertfordshire in the UK they use this facility when Runcorn and Belfast are at capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guinness bolloxology is really reaching new depths when the canning plant is supposedly an issue... it's the exact same liquid and all brewed in Dublin as L1011 says.

Scrap the cap!

I'm definitely not one for the guinness bolloxology, but couldn't batches be different*, and a different canning line influence the final product?

*no idea with the sheer volume if it's possible to have a bad/ different brew.

How? They fill a can, gas it up and seal it. The liquid is the same everywhere. The gas is the same everywhere.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For a company like Diageo consistency is paramount. There is no way they would tolerate an appreciable difference of that sort in the product.

• Advertisement

Was it Murphys or Beamish that used to have the ad slogan "Consistency in a world gone mad" ? 🙂

Scrap the cap!

Hadn't bought any cans in a few weeks was drinking spirits at home instead but taught id get 6 pack of the nitro cans for the weekend.

Had three today all **** muck. Every one of them was flat with this horrible sour mank taste. I was not having this issue when these cans were first released more often than not you were getting a great pint from the nitros and something just as good from the normal cans via the pin method. I've changed glass I've cleaned them I dunno how many different ways it's a joke at this stage and I'm done buying them for a good while at least in the hope they might hopefully improve. Never have I ever fucked half a pint down the sink until tonight! If only I could get to a decent pub more often ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Personally think it's the greatest marketing swindle in history.

Those 538ml cans at Christmas with the thumb tack trick worked better than the nitro cans ever did for me.

Guinness nitro is not nice..nothing to do with where they can it or brew it.

Surger gives a nice cream head on the beer so 10/10 for that but the actual cans are muck.

As I said, whoever dreamt it up should be rewarded handsomely because its an epic swindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

TBH I find them good, glass needs to be just washed in hot water, unit clean and fully charged.

They where very good at the start there shite now and the normal cans are not much better.

Can anyone explain how a nitrosurge can without a widget costs a lot more than a nitrogen-charged can with a widget...?

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I guess they reckon people will pay a premium for something supposedly closer to the pub experience.

Also production numbers would be significantly lower, meaning a higher unit cost. But as above, price gouging would be the biggest factor I suspect.

Paying a premium for the "domage" in a pint glass bolloxology ultimately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

some of it is because there's 568ml in the surger cans, and 500ml in the normal widget cans

8 x 500ml widget cans / 6 x 568ml surger cans are both €15 in tesco currently - the 6 pack of surgers is the equivalent of 6.8 normal cans

sometimes the 8 packs go on sale, but i've never seen the surger cans on offer on their own

Advertisement