Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Haulbowline: DoD Boat transport to Cobh. Train on the hour to Cork City. Soon to be doubled to every half hour.

They won't be living near DL, there will be facilities for them to live ashore attached to the berth. Dart was built for DL. Dart to Connolly, Connolly to everywhere else in Ireland. I've been to DL by train more often I've been to Cobh, and I live on the line to Cobh.

How does one get to Arklow if you don't have your own transport for a 9am sailing Monday, and you Live in North Dublin? First train arrives at 11.15. First Bus will get you there, but if you miss it, the next one won't get you to Arklow before 0930. Next issue is access to the sea at all times. And are we going to live in the old sheds with the pigeons on the North Quay? Because the South Quay is not secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Course it can, its still funded by the Exchequer one way or another. The State didn't give up its rights, the Council is the State, in one manifestation.

Added to that, the Council itself has a majority of Councillors of all three Government parties. If the Government decide that Dun Laoghaire is the preferred site, then it will happen.

I disagree with Tabnab's concern about disruption to leisure in the Harbour too. You could dock the two Lake Class ships line astern, on the eastern berths of either the Carlisle Pier or St Michael's Wharf without disturbing any leisure craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

In general Defence matters are out of control in that options and locations have been steadily pruned and repurposed. Personnel strengths that are needed to be effective were ignored with no increases planned for the advent of all 4 P60 class plus their Seagoing Replacements. Right now no ports are suitable to take a secure Naval Base unless investments are made to do so. The Government have down graded most growable ports and left the tier One ports to single mined boards or entities. Imagine the biggest port in the country closed both of it's Drydocks. Their plans are only trade and new routes and short term decisions to create or grab space. They are also watching offshore support and wind farms.

The two crew concept only works for static ships in a single area of operations like CIL and their one ship. If we deploy to UN or go on overseas visits or missions a month about system is a disruptive waste of effort for a country that doesn't have transport aircraft.

A base needs secure Navy only berths, administrative and logistic facilities, residential facilities for garrison, ships crew normally live on board their assigned ship except on leave or sick not available for duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

In the below article the limits are poinred out but they are only for the irish sea and not the atlantic are they not

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40921898.html

• Advertisement

I concur with DB. The Irish sea in winds from North through East and back to South creates sharp steep seas that murder light noisy ships. The Lakes at 356 tonnes are about 40% lighter that a ship constructed of steel and of the same size of 55metres overall. We have no history of asking our Grey Heads.

The Retired officer mentioned is out of the loop, and were he still in it, would have a better understanding of their purpose. In the ACTUAL piece he wrote he demonstrates he is unaware of the Capability Planing behind it. I'm surprised by this as he is not retired that long, and would have been well aware, as OCNOC of the requirement to replace the P40s, and the absence of a long term replacement project.

Comparing the IPVs with the OPVs make no sense. This is down to the journalist, not the retired OCNOC. With the withdrawal of the CPV we have a current need still, for vessels which can operate in inshore waters. The P50s are unable to do so, the P60s are slightly better than the P50s in this regard but are also much larger, and not designed to operate in these waters.

Accepting a significant reduction in capability would be not replacing the P40s at all. What we want to replace them with is not yet a mature design, and given the delay in bringing the MRV to build, buying an operational already built ship off the shelf is a very wise decision in the short term.

It's worth reading not the examiner article, but Mr Barry's article in full in Signal though. The examiner piece does not seem to have spoken to the retired OCNOC for clarification his views, but instead has taken a paragraph out of context to fill an article.

Signal Summer 2022 (calameo.com)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The two crew concept works for thousands of offshore oil and gas vessels trading worldwide. It can even be done while at sea, it absolutely necessary. This is decades old industry standard. If the horrors of commercial air travel don't appeal, aircraft of any capacity can be chartered to do the changeover.

I take it you've never worked in this system of crewing and have not enjoyed the many benefits it brings?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's not the leisure craft that are disturbed, it's commercial shipping. All those wind farms the government have green lighted will need a serious support industry. DL is ripe to pick up on that trade. Those piers will go to the highest bidder. And the Minister for Transport will ensure the renewable lobby get their pick. The Green minister who is delighted with selling off Cathal Brugha Barracks. DL harbour is his territory, ultimately.

The minister for greenness will never allow dirty offshore energy support vessels into his neighbourhood. They'll be sent to places like Arklow and Drogheda.

• Advertisement

DB's article is excellent, however the Examiner article has put words in his mouth.

Aren't the RN using it in the Falklands Patrol vessel? (Not to mention using it for years on their subs).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

You obviously don't know the difference between the environment of Naval Crewing and Offshore crewing. I was in offshore crewing for 8 years after I retired. Full crew is ALWAYS available either within company resources or manning on demand agencies or individuals. The Navy will always be selecting from a fixed resource which may be depleted creating a shortage for selection. Telling an individual you have to do another trip will always be popular!!.

I got a crew to join me and our technical take over group for the re-incarnation of LE Setanta in Harwich. It had to be done by an ARMY Band Coach which wasn't popular. Doing something similar at sea requires a ferrying vessel, and chartering aircraft would give Defence a stroke. Crewing agencies are working full time to keep OFS vessels at sea, the actual company has little to do with it even at the pay level. Defence would never be flexible enough to run a satisfactory system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

The German Navy is also using it for their Braunschweig class corvettes and their new Baden-Württemberg class frigates, so it is quite a common concept in naval circles. The big question is going to be whether the Irish navy will have enough manpower to pull it off.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

In the matters under discussion, the views of DB are relevant. Irrespective of the classes of vessels in the Naval service, Corvettes CMS,OPV, HPV,CPV, and two auxiliary vessels they were all dispatched to sea by general S.O. and were utilised as patrol vessels. Occasionally CPV's or CMS's were tried out in Castletownbere and Wicklow but in general functioned at optimum level subject to weather.

The IPV's at 2.9metre draft will not upstage the inshore capability of the CPV's at 2.7metre draft. However the IPV construction and mass indicates that weather restrictions will apply. I believe that we must remedy berthage problems at Naval Base despite the increases in resources this will require, by creating new ports. By and large we have destroyed major assets left to us by the Brits, such as the major fleet drydock. The Fleet composition MUST be made relevant and competent to carry out Naval tasks and we must stop rechurning equipment and losing allied capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Well, for what it's worth, I'm not very impressed by these Lake class ships. Very light in tonnage and very lightly armed. The Irish sea can be pretty rough in winter. Cheap and cheerful.

That just paints a damning picture of the Dof and the NS. As other posters have shown, it's a cycle that is readily adopted by other militaries!

So when you said

The two crew concept only works for static ships in a single area of operations like CIL and their one ship. If we deploy to UN or go on overseas visits or missions a month about system is a disruptive waste of effort for a country that doesn't have transport aircraft.

you meant in a uniquely Irish NS context? It can readily be done, just not by the Irish?

Unless you have a "Bag" of endless spare crew such as in the Merchant Navy system, double crewing as an overall policy won't work out of a fixed establishment. The agencies that run crewing, only pay their clients when they are aboard ship. If they miss a trip or decline to go it costs the company little but earned leave then Zilch. In a Naval situation you have a fixed establishment, and in our case later plucked to a minimum standard. The original two crews for each ship was cut back to about 1.5 ratio. Gearing up to keep ships almost continuously at sea with the correct sets of trades and skills, where everybody is on full pay 24/7 whether ashore or afloat is a big ask for a Department that likes to hand back up to 20million euro of budget.

The effect on establishment may be in the order of Three crews per ship with extras for singleton appointments, Chippy's, RRM, EA etc. and a failsafe system to get crews to ships on time.

Strange how the NZ Navy seem to get on fine with them then. Last time I checked Fiji was over 2000 Miles from Auckland.

NZ Navy vessel finds 50 infringements patroling Fijian waters | RNZ

• Advertisement

Not strange if you base a ship in Fiji or Falklands then you have no choice but to rotate your crew by suitable means. The vessel in Fiji carried out many week long patrols to achieve an accumulation of 100's of inspection. Their relief crew said they would hope to emulate them in amount of inspections achieved. The ship went on task in April, all pics show flat calm seas near equatorial region of 16deg South Latitude. Their relief seemed to be at a long interval. Likewise Falklands would be after about 6 months. With US overseas it can be 18 months. By the way NZ have retention problems.

The OFS system is crew rotation every 28 days. I'm saying having NO transport assets the Navy will find it difficult unless they do it by changing ship for ship. The concept to keep the ship on task is to relieve the crew in a less than two hour swap around.

Its not worth much.

They're an inshore PV, that will be dealing primarily with fisheries and small private craft for immigration and trade inspections, so they don't need be heavily armed.

It's likely that a forward armament of 20 or 30mm will be added, but even if it isn't, armed boarding parties covered by shipboard GPMGs will be entirely sufficient.

Not a hope.

Look at Rosslare Harbour, they are pitching for large offshore generation assembly and support. For that, they are relying on the completion of the M11, building a new Port Access Road a reclaiming a few dozen acres to build a staging area.

Thats what it takes. Dun Laoghaire has neither the open space, nor the appropriate road infrastructure necessary to adequately fulfill the demands of a large offshore array project.

And really, 2 or 3 ships in a year berthing in DL, for dredging or light freight movements is hardly what you would call commercial traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Honestly it's "that renewable " crowd that could be the saviour of the Irish naval service ,- if a young fella or lass can get an apprenticeship with the navy , do a few years beyond that .. and then feic off to commercial marine service after if he or she wants a different career path , allowing space for the next group of younger lads behind them .. just put the navys training budget through the department of Ed ..

Restaurants don't pay for chef training ,

Electricians don't pay for apprentices ,

Schools don't pay for teacher training ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If that infrastructure is so important then why did Wicklow port get the deal for the Codling windfarm?

Dun Laoghaire has a steady and significant list of cruise, offshore support, survey, foreign fishing vessels, tall ships, and no doubt the new Tom Crean ship will be in for a visit before long. I don't think you visit the harbour nearly enough to see the commercial activity going on.

I'm there every week. Steady, perhaps, but busy, absolutely not.

Not a patch on how busy it was when I was growing up in DL as a child.

There is more than adequate room for any commercial ambitions DLR have for the Harbour and leisure activity and a permanent Naval Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭thomil

Honestly, that should be an option in general.

I'll be going off topic for a while, as well as leaving the island, but bear with me.

Back in the late 1960s and the early 1970s, the Bundeswehr in Germany had significant retention issues. Conscripts were a dime a dozen, my dad was one of them, but they couldn't retain, or in some cases even attract officers or NCOs. A massive investigation ordered by the minister of defense at the time, Helmut Schmidt, showed that the Bundeswehr was seen as not being conducive to a post-military career, chiefly due to a lack of transferrable skills. As a consequence, the Bundeswehr went about setting up two dedicated Bundeswehr universities, one in Hamburg and one in Munich, at the other end of the country. The aim was to take candidates fresh out of school, give them a university education that, while related to their military career, was not military in its own right, and upon graduation send them off to either officer, or in some cases NCO training, followed by a certain fixed service term. Whilst it didn't completely resolve the retention issues. it certainly alleviated the issues considerably.

Now, I don't advocate for a "Defense Forces University" to be set up, but I certainly do believe that a combination of a sponsored non-military preparatory education and a fixed military service term aimed at reinforcing the lessons from the preparatory education would be something worthwhile for Ireland. How this should be implemented is a different matter entirely, and probably a topic for a thread of its own, but it is certainly an interesting concept.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oddly enough I’ve worked over the years with several ex British soldiers/sailors and can’t think of a single ex Irish military person I’ve worked with, I work in a technical job and in general they have skills learnt in the army albeit I suppose not necessarily military. Most of them were quite good although as with everything a couple were morons. I wonder are they better at selling the skills as on British tv I regularly see ads pushing that side of things.

Most cadet trained officers receive third level training across a range of degrees. It was mostly Galway University but may be at other Universities as well. Nco's also get civilian validation as they advance through their careers. J.P.Morgan were over canvassing for clients for their career opportunities. My son an ex- Captain BA has a career with them based in Europe.

Our problems began in the 1990's with a swinging reduction in Establishment of almost 5000 personnel and a Brigade deletion. Despite more than doubling Fleet size the Naval Establishment was reduced to 1050 or thereabouts. Nine ships need 810 personnel to be continually available for operations. Then you must man HQ's, Logistics, Administration, Dockyard, Transport, Base Medical Unit, Three base Messes, and provide for Daily Security Duties.

The direct responsibility lies with the Secretariat .

• Advertisement

There was an interesting Submission from someone in the NS about where we should be going with Establishment, assuming that the 7 ship fleet with an establishment of 1144 was sufficient for operations (Based on the EAGs of the late 90s).

• a. Seven hulls equate to: 1144 personnel.
    • b. Eight hulls equate to: 1307 personnel.
    • c. Nine hulls equate to: 1471 personnel.
    • d. Ten hulls equate to: 1634 personnel.
    • e. Eleven hulls equate to: 1798 personnel.
    • f. Twelve hulls equate to: 1961 personnel.

As it stands we have not changed from a 7 ship establishment, struggled to keep 6/9 ships at sea, and now currently have a strength barely able to keep 5 ships operational. Recent photos of P52 in refit on social media makes it clear she will not be going to sea any time this year. She resembles a ship that just emerged from build after launch, with all deck fittings, equipment and antennae removed.

Advertisement