Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Limerick rail line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nigra

Hmmm... Yes and no.

Obviously it won't greatly affect the majority of direct train times ,but the evening train I take home to Limerick from galway leaves the station at 17.50 and goes 200 metres down the track where it waits at least 10 minutes for an incoming train from Athenry to pass (thanks to the single track from Athenry to Galway) before going on its merry way.

Hopefully this particular painful delay will end when the Oranmore loop arrives.

Is there any funding for double tracking of this stretch? I have heard at various times that it's planned, but I never heard anything concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Galway loop will still need to be used - it’s a function of the lack of more than two platforms at Ceannt Station.

Until the station is refurbished and the number of platforms expanded, some trains will need to use that loop especially if frequency increases. Irish Rail have applied for changes to that refurbishment plan and news of when it may start is awaited! https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/transport/irish-rail-submits-further-plans-for-opening-up-ceannt-station/

FYI the 17:50 train is scheduled to wait six minutes at the loop from 17:52 till 17:58, but if it were passing another train at Oranmore, one of the trains will still have to have a wait like that built into the schedule to allow for the potential impact from delays. That's how single track railway lines need to be scheduled.

The Oranmore loop is the only investment planned and approved right now. Doubling tracks along the entire section would be something that may follow on from it but not in the immediate future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Is just 1km of double track right? 18 months for 1km of track and a new platform doesn't sound right, even allowing for restrictions due to working beside a live rail line.

If correct, would almost all be to one side of the station or 500m either side? Presumably the double tracking will run through either the LC to the east or across the narrow looking bridge to the west, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

"leaves the station at 17.50 and goes 200 metres down the track where it waits at least 10 minutes for an incoming train from Athenry to pass (thanks to the single track from Athenry to Galway) before going on its merry way."

I had to dig out the thick WTT book, and then I ended up cursing IE for not having normal graphical diagrams instead of a book that probably easily weights a kilogram. Anyway. A489 leaves Galway at 17:50, is in the loop from 17:52.5 to 17:56.5, then Oranmore 18:02-18:03 and arrives in Athenry 18:13.5. The train it crosses in Galway Loop is the A708, the 15.35 Heuston/Galway, which is in Athenry from 17:36.5 to 17:40.5, passes Oranmore at 17:49.5, the Galway Loop at 17:54.5 and arrives in Galway at 17:58.

The only way for A489 to not sit in the loop would be to have it leave Galway at 17:40 and cross with A708 in Oranmore around 17:50. That's keeping in mind that A709 crosses A717, the 17.20 Galway/Heuston, in Athenry.

Very crudely done in Excel, it amounts to something like this.

The current timing of A489 out of Athenry also makes A788 wait for it in Ennis, a 26-minute wait from 18:43 to 19:09 (A489 is a stop-and-go 19:07-19:08). Sure, moving A489 ten minutes earlier could make it be able to leave Athenry sometime closer to 18.04, cutting about 12-13 minutes out of A788's wait in Ennis... if not for the fact that A788 then waits in Gort (19:30.5-19:35.5) for A491 (19:32.5-19:33.5), the 18.40 Galway/Ennis - so realistically all we're doing is splitting the wait further along, unless we move A491, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Disclaimer: these are all I believe 2016 timings, but I think the basic structure of crossings has remained stable since even with minor adjustments here and there.

Post edited by TranslatorPS on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The 13.25 (3/4) splits on arrival, one half does the 17.20 (4) to Heuston, second 18.40 to Ennis. The 15.35 usually arrives on the bay platfrom and forms the 18.10 to Athlone.

In theory the 15.35 (4) could arrive into the main platfrom and the 17.50 departs the bay at 18.00. I'm sure it could find 3-4 minutes enroute to stop it interfearing with the timetable enroute down.

Is this just IE taking the safe option to scheduling? I guess the direction of the 13.25 might be pre planned to have 3 leading out of Heuston or preahps this might be one reason for the current schedule.

• Advertisement

The 15:35 has to pass two other services en route at Tullamore and Athenry with very little recovery time, as well as the Galway-Limerick service at Galway loop.

Combining that with comparing the overall running time with other services would suggest little or no scope for accelerating it, so I can't really see your idea working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was refering to the 17.50 to find a few minutes enroute if needed to compensate for an 18.00 departure but that could proablly be made up at Gort without any material impact on the ex Limerick it crosses

Equally I can see some rational in having the current timetable and there is potential to improve the current Galway and all timetables within the severe limitations on the network.

Thanks for highlighting that - it turns out that the entire paragraph under the graph in my previous post can now be thrown into the bin, as I was calculating under outdated timings and crossings. It would appear that the 18.05 Limerick/Galway crosses with two southbound trains in Gort - ridiculous imho...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Jesus Wept, just double the track from Galway to Athenry, if we are really serious about modal shift and reducing emissions.

We have 400bn GDP, nearly 100bn tax revenue, I'm sure we can somehow afford to expand the passing loop from 1km to the full stretch from Galway to Athenry.

There is currently a temporary timetable in place between Limerick and Galway due to Ennis station being rebuilt. During this period only one platform is in actively in use and two trains cannot pass there, which results in the situation you mention above, as they try to keep the Limerick/Ennis and Galway/Athenry sections as close to normal as they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Tiernster7

How long till Ennis station is complete? I thought I read May previously

Damn, I keep on forgetting about all the tidbits that lead to this. Again I have to bite my own words back, which then makes the paragraph under the graph valid again, should that timetable be reinstated. But yes, @Geuze has a point, just double-track as much of it as possible, this section of the network would well warrant from the double track (notwithstanding the few bridges here and there).

Absolutely but that’s a political decision! When politics gets involved then things are never straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Apparently it should be ready for the June weekend, which ties in nicely with Munster Final Day. Guaranteed to be a busy day at the station.

I only opened now the 19 May issue of Galway Advertiser, which includes a rather crude depiction of an area development plan. According to that, the platforms would form the eastern end of the loop (points as close to the Up end of the station as possible), and the loop would otherwise be entirely on the Galway end.

Both screenshots are taken from the online edition of the aforementioned Advertiser at >> https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nigra

Well the works have finally come to an end at Ennis Station . Yes, it is a little lower as you might be able to see from the picture. To give you an idea as to how far they lowered the platform, there is now an extra step on the end of the footbridge which can be clearly seen below.

The place is looking quite well really, which makes a change. I took these shots this morning from the 5.55 service from Limerick to Galway. On return this evening the Gort stopover is finally gone so its back to a 2 hr trip each way. With diesel at the price it is , the €14.98 return is substantially cheaper than driving and the fact that i am writing and uploading this post on the 17.50 evening return train is a testament to the good wifi on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There are a couple of tricky level crossings west of Oranmore which might be easier to deal with by putting a new road in between them. In any case, as someone else noted, without more capacity at Galway station platforms, probably better off with a loop there and fixing other bottlenecks east and south of Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

My mate was on the Shades of Grey tour and had a look when passing through, and he noticed they didn't replace the platform displays with the new spec - are they rolling them out in the Dublin region first before going further afield?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

At this stage Ennis to Limerick and Athenry to Galway should be fully double tracked, as should Portarlington to Athlone, Maynooth to Mullingar and Bray to Gorey. Absolutely chronic delays on all these services, a bit of investment and we'd have a great rail service. Spend a few euros closing level crossings also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

agree but that would require us growing up as a country so won't happen.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And the Waterford line at least as far as Carlow (there’s actually the space) or Kilkenny. Utterly idiotic having trains and passengers wasting time waiting for the incoming train to pass- Christ even a series of cheap passing loops would do the job. But alas no, continue like it’s the 18 th century

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

they could also do with increasing the level of service. even though there are 8 trains per day to limerick, there are still gaps.

the service ro Galway could do with getting back even up to the level at reopening. I think there was a plan for 8 trains per day there too but it never happened

There's an endless to do list on the inter City network. Sure look at the Dublin Belfast service. Its currently not possible to use it to get to Dublin before 9am which is really shocking by any standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

Moyross and Limerick Junction double-track projects underway

21 November 2022

Iarnród Éireann appoint Atkins as multi-disciplinary consultants

Iarnród Éireann has announced that the projects to develop a new station at Moyross, and to allow increased capacity for train services between Limerick’s Colbert Station and Limerick Junction, have commenced.

Following the confirmation by the Department of Transport last month that Moyross Station will be progressed under the Pathfinder Programme, Iarnród Eireann has confirmed that Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, has been appointed as multi-disciplinary consultants for both schemes. The projects are funded by the National Transport Authority, as part of Project Ireland 2040, and facilitate the forthcoming Limerick Shannon Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy (LSMATS).

The initial phase of works being undertaken by Iarnród Éireann and Atkins will focus on:

Moyross Station

The immediate objective is to identify a preferred location and option for the station itself.

Moyross Station will be a station on the Limerick to Galway line. The station will become the nearest station to Limerick city.

A Station in the Moyross area will support compact growth and provide connection to major attractions of Thomond Park and The Gaelic Grounds, and provide a sustainable transport option for the existing and planned increased population in Limerick.

The area under examination is a 2km stretch of railway, starting at the western bank of the River Shannon, extending 2km to the edge of Moyross, as shown above.

Limerick to Limerick Junction: increasing capacity for train services

The existing single-track sections of the 35km route between Limerick and Limerick Junction – approximately 80% of the route - restrict capacity for services and lead to increased waiting time on the line.

The initial phase of the project will review options to enhance capacity on the route. It is anticipated that double tracking of the entire line could be required, and this shall be assessed, along with a range of alternative options and solutions to increase capacity and meet the objectives, which shall be determined as the project progresses.

The initial phases of both projects – determining the proposed location for Moyross Station, and decision on the optimum approach to increase capacity between Limerick and Limerick Junction – will be completed in the first half of 2023, allowing both projects to progress.

National Transport Authority (NTA) Chief Executive, Anne Graham said “The NTA welcomes the appointment of design consultants to progress the development of rail passenger services as part of the Limerick Shannon Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy. The proposed enhanced rail passenger services will provide more opportunity for local communities to travel sustainably in the Limerick region”.

Iarnród Éireann Chief Executive Jim Meade said “it is a sign of the firm commitment of Government, the NTA and Iarnród Éireann to the delivery of these projects that we have consultants ready to hit the ground running to progress both Moyross and Limerick to Limerick Junction capacity improvements. We look forward to these projects being the start of a transformation of rail services in the Limerick area under the proposed Limerick Shannon Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy (LSMATS).”

Highways and Transportation Director for Atkins, Tony Mortimer, said “Atkins is delighted to have been appointed for Phase 1 and 2 on these two projects in the Limerick region and work with Iarnród Éireann to deliver upon the objectives set out in the National Development Programme. These projects aim to improve the local, regional and national rail infrastructure and provide greater connectivity in Ireland. Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, has extensive experience delivering similar projects in Ireland and internationally and is excited to work with Iarnród Éireann to deliver on Ireland’s ambitious transport targets.”

Hopefully it'll allow for direct trains to Cork and a faster connection to Dublin

I'd be genuinely curious if in a situation where a mid-route passing loop is considered, whether the cost of the extra signalling interlocking and points (ideally there'd be four sets of points, or two crossovers, as there should be catch points involved) would be greater than just double-tracking the entire stretch under automatic block signalling, making the latter preferable.

Doubling Limerick-Limerick Junction will improve reliability more than anything else rather than improving journey times.

Currently the Limerick-Limerick Junction shuttles pass one another at Killonan Junction and there isn’t much margin for error if the inbound train is running late.

I think that the focus initially needs to be on having tighter connections in all directions at Limerick Junction, between trains on the Dublin-Cork mainline and those to/from Limerick and Waterford rather than direct Limerick-Cork trains.

Get the timings right and Limerick-Cork journey times will reduce, with less time waiting to connect at the Junction.

At the same time, we need to see through Galway-Waterford trains becoming a reality.

That would then maximise the connectivity at Limerick Junction.

Get all of that in place first and then if demand dictates add additional Limerick-Cork services in due course.

The other absolute pressing need in the area is for a passing loop at Sixmilebridge between Limerick & Ennis to allow for real frequency boosts along the WRC.

Re-instating the loop at Carrick-on-Suir between Waterford and Clonmel is necessary to deliver a meaningful frequency on that line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Forgive my ignorance, but do many stations on single-track lines have passing loops / two platforms?

Advertisement