Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

How do you buy a new heifer with Google Pay in a field with no reception?

It'll get fierce interesting this winter when the power goes out and takes the Internet with it. Good luck to you trying to buy briquettes with a dead phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I am not as I've explained, I've been with KBC for at least 10 years , they had a branch work , I'm not sure why your doubting this. Their actual arrival as a retail banking entity in Ireland was way later than 1970l's , they may have had a commercial presence but not retail presence in the 70's .That occurred in the early 2000's

Infact in 2020 they only had 16 Hubs left in the entire country, some were former branches , Stillorgan as an example.

I believe they initially took over NIB branch network and eventually closed branches , set up Hubs and some were former branches.

I've absolutely no idea what KBC we're prior to becoming a retail bank in Ireland, I've only ever been a personal customer.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm doubting (its actually rather stronger than doubt) you because they just simply didn't exist.

KBC opened a Hub in Naas in 2015. They did not have a branch in Naas at any point prior. This has since closed (2020 I believe).

They did not take over NIB branches. They did not take over anyones branches

You are just massively misremembering here. If you signed up in Naas it was in a hub, in or after 2015. You did not sign up in a branch prior to that as there was never a branch prior to that.

KBC did not even offer current accounts 10 years ago, so it is obvious that you do not have your dates right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Even if the bad guys succeeded in unlocking your phone they would still need to know your BoI 365 PIN to access your online account.

I would be more concerned about using Google Pay on my phone as you don't have to unlock the phone to make contacless payments. You only have to wake up the phone to use the contactless payments function. For that reason I disable the NFC function as soon as I complete a Google Pay contactless payment.

You can force the phone to request PIN or biometrics before allowing a payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This thread is hilarious, what sort of time warp are you in outside the M50? Takes the Internet with it, actually crying laughing here.

If the power goes the shop selling briquettes won't be open to sell them to you , regardless of payment method. At least you'll be able to burn your cash to stay warm.

I may have my dates incorrect, it's really not something I've obsessed over and your going way off topic to prove an unprovable point .

The fact remains, KBC Had a Branch Network, Took over another banks branch network,(NIB I believe) wound it down gradually and went with the Hub Model

From Wikipedia, more in the complete article

"KBC began operating a branch network in 2012 with a further build-out in 2014. This follows the exit of Halifax Ireland and Danske Bank from the Irish retail market, with some branches being located in former locations of those banks"

You have your dates wrong, and everything else. And you certainly seem obsessed enough to keep arguing that black is white.

KBC only ever had the hub branch network, which they still mostly have. They never took over anyone else's branch network. One or two of them happen to have coincidentally been in former BOSI/Halifax branches, that were closed for years in between and not bought directly. Danske had possibly 100 branches, Halifax also had more than KBC did even at peak.

You did not sign up for an account in a branch in Naas prior to the 2015 opening of the hub there. End of.

I give up , honestly a bewildering pedantic discussion. Honestly read the Wikipedia article , I'm no banking expert but it's all there .

Have you thoughts on AIB's decision 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What happens when there's a big storm and many areas of country are without power for many hours or even days? I've never lost a wallet full of cash but I have had cards fail to be accepted for no reason and witnessed more instances of card rejections ahead of me at checkouts than I could number. I have never once seen a cash payment fail to go through.

• Advertisement

It's not bewildering - you have a massively corrupted timeline in your memory. That's all.

AIB are clearly intending to cut their branch network to the bone; the removal of the ATMs shows that.

Its not just Kerry that's going to be left with no banks. Rural Donegal is going to be left with two (cashless) AIBs - Killybegs and Dungloe, one BOI - Falcarragh, and after everything settles, one PTSB (they are buying some Ulster branches) that may or may not be cashless - Glenties.

Every settlement of more than maybe 600 people had a bank branch even in the early 00s - some were very part time, admittedly (NIB/Danske Arranmore was one day a week in a pub lounge - AIB took that over briefly after Danske left). Some of these don't have even have post offices now, and the post office replacement service is bugger all use for businesses. Going to be some interesting fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I don’t get the uproar about cashless banks, if you don’t like the service AIB provides move bank, if there isn’t an alternative make do, All the old folk people seem to be so worried about got on ok during the covid lockdown.

Anyone I’ve had this discussion with either is pretty much all cashless or tells me how it’ll affect a certain cohort of people but not them!

Either way the post office is open for cash and a while back people were roaring about them closing at least now they’ll have another feather in their hat,

wouldn’t most people getting paid sw or oap in cash pick it up in the post office anyway?

A card rejection at the till is most likely lack of funds. Had you stood behind that person at an ATM you would have witnessed the same result.

If your local AIB is affected by this you can use the post office. There was uproar in recent years about post offices closing, here is a great opportunity for An Post to deliver cash services in local communities. They're well used to handling large amounts of cash for welfare payments.

Do consider though that AIB will have 2 years worth of data since the beginning of the covid pandemic that proves non cash transactions are outstripping cash transactions at a huge pace, and this is back up by figures released by the Banking and Payments Federation of Ireland. The stats show that cash usage is like catholic weddings, hanging in there like a bad smell because an older cohort seem to want it. But the younger generations coming behind aren't interested.

Tapping your card on a little square box and saying cheers and moving on?

Are you suggesting I'm being misleading, hardly appropriate for a Moderator, I've told you I was unsure of dates , never hid that, how many people do you seriously know date and time they opened a bank account 🤔

I personally believe I've banked with KBC for at least 10 years, they had a Branch network, wound it down , moved to a Hub model these are facts and you just refuse to accept this and then swipes. Really 🙄

Your persistence on an entirely unrelated matter is extraordinary, isn't it any wonder folks don't post their thoughts , opinions experiences on Boards without having to fear getting into extraordinary back and fourths.

My word I've come to expect this in Political threads not on a predictable Banking decision.

I'm not responding further to this , it's getting absurd

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Personally I think it should be illegal for any business to be of the ability to refuse legal tender. Under a certain value say 3000 euros…

I'm suggesting your memories are wildly incorrect, as backed up by reality (KBC didn't even have a current account product 10 years ago, they never bought anyones branch network, their only ever branch in Naas opened in 2015, etc).

You may claim these are facts, but they absolutely and utterly aren't - you are mistaken. Every bit of evidence shows that you are mistaken. Nothing here is "swipes", just pointing out that actual reality cannot allow your mistaken memories to be real.

I would suggest you read up on the Mandela Effect. I suspect you've merged whatever bank you used before KBC in to KBC in your memories - but your memories are not right, and are absolutely not facts.

what about if all cash transactions over €1500 had to be reported to the revenue?

Legal tender only exists in the case of a debt - and even then there are some limits on it (mainly to stop the "here's 100,000 1 cent coins" type annoyance stunts). It's implausible that the concept would be extended to normal purchases.

There would be a sign in the shopsaying cash balances greater than €1,499 not accepted

• Advertisement

What paper money do you hand over for €41.72 of goods that's easier and quicker than me tapping my phone for the same amount in the next aisle over? I'm gone out the door before you have change in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

May have to be if there is an increase in businesses seeking to go cashless.

There's basically no reason for the State to care about that happening. Producing cash costs them money. They have made major moves to reduce cash usage in the past decade plus - changing and cutting debit card stamp duty, increasing the contactless limit, introducing change rounding and so on.

It was a specific intent of the 2011-16 Government to move payments from cash and cheque to electronic and they had the National Payment Plan to trial and implement that - the Governments since have not changed tack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The last time Kerry had a blackout, all the 3G and 4G towers ran out of battery in less than an hour. You can't have Internet without reception.

Plus, Eirgrid will be turning off the data centres before they hit the general population, so yes, the Internet will be one of the earliest casualties. You don't need power to sell briquettes, a candle will stave off the darkness.

You need the sale of briquettes to be legal. Which it rather soon won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Can you hear yourself?

How does someone stick 50 quid in a birthday or communion card? Or a grandparent giving a few quid to a grandchild.

Cash will always have a place in society and I never leave home without it. The amount of times I've been left stuck without cash I dread to think of life without it.

There will still be atms and cash just AIB will be cashless on certain branchs so you will still be able to give little Jonny his birthday present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I just can't stand the sneering from the tech utopians, cash will always be king for me. What's wrong with bartering or using legal tender.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 56,152 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Big loada nonsense. Cash is just a physical bit of paper and physical bit of metal. It’s its banter and meaning that matters. World changes, always has and always will. Can’t hold back the tide.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with cash personally I love it, it’s glorious stuff! But the bitching and moaning about AIB you’d swear the world was going to stop

Advertisement