Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Anyone else contemplating a road trip tomorrow to escape the heat?

Or just sit in the car in the driveway while plugged in with the aircon running 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm on the fence about Musk, not his biggest fan but nor his biggest critic.

But honest question for you: Do you think he's disingenuous when he talks about pushing for the betterment of mankind via electric vehicles and spacex/colonisation of Mars and the like?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

But honest question for you: Do you think he's disingenuous when he talks about pushing for the betterment of mankind via electric vehicles and spacex/colonisation of Mars and the like?

If you look at the boring company it gives you an idea of how Elon sees the future, it's not a society designed for mass benefit, it's very much uber individualism with an unregulated markets that allow an individual to fully exploit what they have at the expense of everyone else. It's betterment for mankind in the style of John Galt instead of the rising tide floats all ships approach.

I'll credit the man with doing more for electrification of transportation than anyone else. I honestly think that without him the Nissan Leaf would still be the forefront of EV technology

However, I agree that he has a somewhat warped approach to "saving" humanity

For example his approach to EVs is to make a sports sedan that most people can't afford. If you want truly mass adoption then you're going to need entry level EVs down at the price point of the cheapest petrol cars, and Tesla don't seem to be bothering to develop anything down there (Model 2 has gone very quiet lately)

As for the Boring company/Hyperloop stuff. I that's a classic idea of faster=better without any consideration as to the drawbacks. I remember someone did a quick calculation on passenger capacity and it worked out that most hyperloops could carry fewer passengers per hour than a single car metro line

If he was interested in truly mass transit then IMO he'd be pushing high speed rail

I guess regarding SpaceX I've a similar view to Tesla, he's done a lot in the past few years to advance spaceflight technology, but again, who's it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

i7 is getting a Protection Vehicle trim. Meaning bulletproof armour and the like. No word yet on what that'll do to range, but it'll be interesting to see how it comes out. Niche.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/have-enemies-want-to-go-green-bmw-is-making-an-armored-i7-ev-sedan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What speed can an Enyaq 60 charge at?

I'm in Cork today and was sitting at 58% but need to do Fota tomorrow and then Wexford and possibly Dublin Wednesday evening so said run over to the 150KW in Douglas as it's not far and top up to 80%.

Checked the app and I see someone is after plugging in at 19.38, grand I'll head over now and they should be gone in 15-20 minutes and it'll take me 10 to get over.

I arrive and the charger is still occupied and they stay until 20.10 (so 30 minutes total) and I see on the screen while they get out to unplug the car is at 80%.

Assuming they started at 10% that'd mean they averaged 80KW over the session? Around 58KW if plugged in at 30%.

While waiting I plugged my Ioniq 5 into the 50KW and the car was saying I was charging at 51KW. When they left I plugged into the 150KW and charged for 7 minutes with my car reading 138KW. Over the 14 minutes I was there I got a total of 18.5KW so around 79KWH. Very happy with that considering I spent slightly longer on the slower unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I saw a Tesla Model 3 charging at Park Ri, Kells a few days ago but it looked like it was plugged into the third plug on the 50kW unit. I didn’t have time to get out and take a proper look but I’m guessing that’s the FastAC plug? What kind of charge rate would an M3 get on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

11kW

he most likely turned up and no CCS plug was available, so plugged into the AC while waiting for a CCS plug to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Since becoming a 2 EV household a couple of months ago our Ioniq28 isnt really getting much use and I'm considering selling it to replace with a first gen EV like a leaf or zoe.

How much do folks think a black Ioniq28 with 130k km on it would be worth in this environment? (Cheeky plug, anyone here looking for one?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is it worth the hassle of a swap, you're well versed in the EV world but for the sake of a couple of grand "downgrade" I'd just keep as is, the Ioniq will hold it's value much better than the early Leaf/Zoe which are hitting degradation/range worries

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I read that today they will announce the official launch of ZEVI, the new grant for apartments and that homeowners grant will be open to all irrespective of the type of car you own. On another page we might need to buy carbon credits as we didn't do enough to reduce and meet these carbon limits. TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Looks like it did go live this morning, with the grant for charger installation extended to any homeowner, even if they do not own an EV;

New grant for people without driveways to access electric vehicle charging (thejournal.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah I'm just mulling over options, just seems mad to have an Ioniq as essentially a runaround car doing 50 km a week. Contacted a few "we buy any car" dealers and they are all offering between 16 and 17k so I'm not sure that's enough to bother trading down.

Was looking at the price of 2016 Leaf24s there and dealerships are asking €10k or more 😱

€6k profit for trading to a Leaf doesn't seem worth it

Some videos uploaded by SEAI

Good news, management companies can claim up to 80% of costs back and the €600 grant is now available for apartment dwellers

The potentially bad news is that it's entirely up to the management company to install a charging network before individual residents can install a charger

Last management company I dealt with struggled to read the electricity meters within a month of requesting, so I'm not particularly hopeful for any proactive behaviour on their part

Hopefully residents groups will start pestering their management companies to start applying for grants

Also, the government publication

Plus a nice bit of advertising for ESB

I feel like that's gotta be against some law somewhere to mention one particular private company ahead of any of it's competitors...

Also, a bit of info on the commercial vehicle trial

So 30 minibuses and 20 vans if I'm reading that correctly. I wonder what models will be offered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

How to apply

To apply, you need to partner with a Charge Point Operator who will provide you with a quotation and technical guidance on the best solution.

We recommend that the management company first seeks out three quotes from SEAI registered Charge Point Operators (CPO). CPOs will be responsible for managing the billing systems and maintenance once the infrastructure is in place and they will also be responsible for coordinating the required works.

The CPO will push the most expensive solution as there is a grant in place duh! The property management doesn't care as it is not their money and push for that and the end user will foot a bill for an eccentric system. i.e. upgraded grid connection, 22kW, commercial meter (no night rate), online dashboard (read monthly subscription), 1k quid protective pillar (like the one at Laois CoCo). I'm pretty sure no CPO will say individual connections to each unit meter, with load limiter and a simple charge point that meets the spec to fit the grant and 10% discount if you buy more than 5 at once.

Sounds like a good business opportunity 😁

I tend to agree regarding the CPO's, unless there's someone who familiar with EV ownership involved then you aren't going to get a good solution for the end user

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I would have thought connecting a charge point in a remote parking space to the meter in the apartment could be very expensive in some places? And it assumes that each owner has their own dedicated parking space which might not be true.

• Advertisement

Depends, if it's an underground car park it could be done reasonably cheaply.

The meters tend to be in the car park already so you'd just need to run steel conduit around the car park to the meter room

Each owner could then pull a cable through to their space and drop it down to an individual charger

That only works if there's allocated parking of course

Aboveground parking is potentially more expensive as there's groundworks involved. But that's one of those instances where cabling up a bunch of spaces would bring the cost per charger down a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

”There is also the draft National EV Strategy underwent public and stakeholder consultation earlier this year. There were over 14,000 responses to the online questionnaire along with detailed written submissions received from both individuals and organisations.

Responses and submissions received as part of the consultation are currently being considered in the development of the final Strategy for publication later this year.”

Will the State’s new initiatives make it any easier to buy an electric vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭wassie

Its very easy if the state wants to make it easier to buy an electric vehicle.

They could overnight reduce the purchase price significantly by getting rid of VRT on EVs

You would incentivise consumers very quickly to buy an EV over an ICE.

We pay over the odds thanks to Govt taxes. As its a % based tax, it increases as the cost of the car increases. Any other 'initiative' is measure is simply smoke and mirrors.

I don't think any level of tax measures are going to increase the rate of EV uptake for the next couple of years, there just isn't the supply available

I like that the focus is shifting to improving the charging networks and allowing apartment dwellers to access private chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We did that already. There has been a €5k reduction on VRT on EV's for many years now which effectively meant there was no VRT for a lot of EV's.

It has been changed in recent budgets to only apply to "cheaper" EV's and it will eventually be removed entirely but the point is that your suggestion has already been done... supply is the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I see the new chargers have to be smart from September to get the grant.

Waiting for the conspiracy theories to start about how the ESB/Gubberment will restrict charging between certain hours, similar to the conversation that happened in the UK.

EV Smart Charger Register

From 1st September 2022 the Home Charger grant, administered by SEAI, will only provide funding for Smart Chargers. This will improve safety, prevent excessive electrical demand and facilitate better integration with renewable energy sources. For manufacturers and installers wishing to register their products please see this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

You could try for 20k private sale. What year? Early 2017 are out of the everything Hyundai warranty but still have main battery warranty. Depreciation is probably near zero or 1000 euro per year. It's hardly worth the change with a car you know. It also has CCS versus leaf or most Zoe's.

In terms of smart chargers, there must be lots of non smart chargers in stock with installers and wholesalers. Not much notice given to use up, although any approvals in August will be valid for 6 months non smart charger. Used non smart charger pricing might be dropping as you can no longer get grant during installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I’m seeing a good few 222s on the local (south Dublin N11) roads over these last few days.

Totally anecdotal of course, but from what I’ve seen I’d say it’s around 40% full electric. Fairly high standard of cars in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Smart charging has been a requirement for the UK equivalent of the SEAI grant for quite a while now. Chances are most chargers sold here are primarily aimed at the UK market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭wassie

It has been changed in recent budgets to only apply to "cheaper" EV's and it will eventually be removed entirely but the point is that your suggestion has already been done... supply is the main issue.

Supply is an issue across the board, not just EVs and will resolve in time.

My point is that VRT should be abolished entirely on EVs. Im not aware this has been tried at all. The €5k reduction is the perfect example of tinkering with policies rather than a serious push by Govt to electrify the fleet.

VRT makes our new car prices some of the highest in the EU and paddy is the chump taking the hit.

The government has no hope of acheiving its target of 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2030 with the current measures.

Advertisement