Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

That's what happens in championship, you could have your toughest battle in the first round, the secret is to get through each round, too many teams think they have won all Ireland's after semi finals where they have beaten the reigning all Ireland champions. You need to take the opportunity within the lifetime of the opportunity. Many teams stumble over the line and many fumble near the line. An all Ireland medal is an all Ireland medal, Brendan Lowry in the ad on tv about his medal says it all, they definitely stumbled over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

So Mickos Kildare were a inferior side in 98, they beat Dublin, Kildare and Meath on the way to the final, all powerhouses in those days, 2001,Meath held Kerry the reigning champions to 5 points in the semi final, raging favourites that year, were they inferior opposition too? And then Kerry in 2000, kick of the ball in it, Kerry on the ropes at the end with 2 minutes injury time left, ref blew up to "make it a draw", we were bet fair and square the next day, I'd say your analysis is coloured by the oul green an red tinted glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

In comparison to Mayo they certainly have an edge in the winning mentality department and that Kildare team they beat had beaten the 3 previous years all Ireland winners Dublin, Meath and Kerry on their way to the final what more could Galway do like? That Galway team got to 3 All Ireland finals and won 2 of them is that not a winning mentality? but if I were a Mayo man the very last fcuking thing I'd be doing is questioning another counties winning mentaility in AI finals.

On a side note about that Connacht final in 98 my Roscommon father still hates Seamus Prior for riding the hole off Roscommon in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

in 2000 we were missing Tomas Mannion and Ja Fallon. They were huge losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Another thing is the comments I've seen on here that they have a good record in finals or when they get there they win it.

The last one was in 2001. What a team did 20 years ago has no bearing on the present.

• Advertisement

If you want to look at it another way they haven't lost a final since 2000. I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kerry aren't Mayo and normally win most finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

i hadn't clue what was going on, i didn't know where the ball was and couldn't get a feel for how the game was going

Are you one of the Clare hurlers by any chance 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway in an all Ireland final and you think they are are concerned about mayo............ Are you absolutely deluded???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The question was where is this winning mentality in finals though. The above doesnt reference it. Surely that would require winning a few finals against the head? They never actually done that is the point I am making.

Sorry but go through the personnel between those teams and the galway team, it isnt even a close contest...

The way I see the galway record since 98 is this, they dodged kerry on both occasions and won the all ireland without facing the best team in the country. Not their fault and fair play for taking advantage of that, but still the reality of the situation.

When they did face them, they lost to them. They also lost to ourselves in that time, and we had a pretty average team. This stuff about great records in finals is nonsense. They havent played in a final since then, and that is their fault.

As for the mayo comparisons, if galway win this weekend and then disappear again, are they any better than mayos run of 10 odd years? I wouldnt swap it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gigantic09

If Galway win it'll obviously surpass anything we achieved in the last 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'de say you are in a very small minority if that true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dunnerc

If I am I am, I couldnt care less. It is the truth though. The last 10-12 years have been brilliant as a mayo gaa fan. I wouldnt swap that for 1 win and then disappearing off into the wilderness for the rest of the decade. I dont see the point of that. We also were the team to put it up to and then beat the unbeatable dublin. Nobody else can ever do that.

Anyway, it is a bit of a side-point, my point was about the great galway record in finals. Id consider their record in finals over the last 20 years anything but great personally - they havent been good enough to make them. That will have far more bearing on this game than Michael donnellan and co over 20 years ago - who lost almost as many as they won - all depends on the way you tell it i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

The stench of copium from that first paragraph, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yes indeed yous were the team to put it up to Dublin , So did Kerry , as for beating the unbeatable Dublin nonsense no team is unbeatable

and when yous finally beat Dublin in 21 that Dublin team were in serious decline .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah look Kerry were the best team in the country in 98 and 2001 according to you??, oul nonsense kildare bet them in 98 and meath bet them out the door in 2001.The best team in any given year is the team who take home sam its as simple as that and no rewriting of history will change that, give a bit of credit for heavens sake not an oul grudging well done but but but... Fact is we do have a good record when we DO reach a final thats just the way the statistics stack up simple as that,you can't be talkin about not reachin finals that doesn't count when the discussion was about performing IN finals.. And if Galway win at the weekend yes we will be better than the mayo teams who failed at the final hurdle because they will have got over that last final hurdle, like others I'd imagine you're in a minority when you say you wouldn't swap all that to win just once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway might not win on Sunday but the 'fear' it has put in mayo is priceless. 15 yrs a bolloxing is no one's problem but their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

You win all Ireland’s if your good enough and if your not ya don’t … onto the match Sunday galway are up against it … will have to keep it tight first 20 mins as Kerry will defo go for the juggler . We have a chance if we are in it with 15 to go … thought Kerry looked very nervy when Dublin got close and were there for the taking . We need more from play from forwards then we got in semi but I do think this game will open up as it goes on . Hopefully we come down the road with no regrets that all ya can for and what will be after that so be it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

They had there chances to win it they weren’t good enough … Donegal in 2012 and Tyrone last year were both very winnable but they didn’t do it on the day . I think they would have Beaten Dublin in 17 only for Vaughan’s brain fart .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I've loved the last ten odd years as a Galway Gaa fan. Since 2010:

1 x All Ireland Senior hurling championship Winners

2 x Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Winners

2 x National Hurling League Winners

1 x U21 All Ireland Hurling Championship Winners

5 x All Ireland Minor Hurling Championship Winners (including a historic 4 in a row)

1 x National Division 2 Football League Champions

2 x All Ireland U21 Football Championship Winners

1 x All Ireland Minor Football Championship Winners

3 x Connacht Football Championship Winners

Some 12 years indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a poster here, thread banned from the Mayo thread who can't stop mentioning Mayo on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have the tickets got for the final. I will be a Galway supporter for the day. Hope Galway put it up to Kerry for a good while at the very least.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Someone still had to beat them though. You might argue that kerry were in serious decline when offaly bet them. Now you will say but offaly won the all ireland, and they did, but other teams won all irelands after that. It is offaly that is remembered though. It is disingenuous to claim there is no value in being the team to do things like that.

Ive no fear of anything to do with galway winning. Best of luck to them. But I think some of them need to realise that it is them playing in the final and when things are in the fire, harping on about mayo isnt going to cut it at that point. It is the equivalent of being 10 years in opposition to government and then being in there. The talkin sh*te on the sidelines card cant be played any longer. Lose by a point, you will be bottlers, take a hiding, you will be the same. Kerry are a good team but not infallible. But they are better than kildare were, and more pertinently, they are a better side than galway are. Doesnt mean they cant win, just means they will have to deliver.

1. Hurling is a different sport.

2. Nobody cares about provincial titles.

3. Nobody cares about winning division 2 in the league

4. Minor and u21 are fine but they are just young lads. I include our own wins in that.

What is left?

I dont buy the vaughan thing personally. I dont believe that small was going to get a red tbh, I always felt that the ref was going to cop out and let him off with a last warning, letting gavin take him off. He didnt want to be deciding an all ireland final particularly one so close.

Vaughan gave him an easy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

And have won 37 which backs up the posters point of them winning most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ah now there's no way Small wasn't seeing line, regardless of Vaughans brain fart.

Kerry by 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haven’t they lost the most or something? I remember telling a Mayo fella (ironically) that and he couldn’t hide his disgust.

But I honestly don’t know why there is much discussion about Mayo to be honest, it is the same craic only the year changes for Mayo. Same failings nothing learnt in defeat. A comedy drama.

Mayo are not the final Sunday. The final is between Galway and Kerry. Kerry deservedly beat Dublin and they won pulling up v Mayo.

Galway it could be argued are extremely fortunate to get to an All Ireland Final. Nearly blowing it big style v Armagh. Penalties saving them. And facing an extremely tactically inept Derry who only had plan A.

I just hope this AI is not one where it is over as a contest at half time. I at least want to see a match.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement